• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Help I'm Freaking out!!!!

Maria62

I have just started the process for weight loss surgery. I met with the psychologist for the first time yesterday and am scheduled for UGI/Ultrasound for tomorrow. Unfortunately, I will not be able to meet with the nutritionist until the end of April. The 2 pre-op teaching classes I am supposed to attend are only held once per month, so I missed March's and won't be able to go until beginning of April. The surgeon's office gave me a vague list for lifesyle dietary tips, but I am having trouble trying to "organize" everything in my brain and I know I have to lose 25-30 pounds before I can even be scheduled for surgery. The tips they gave me are as follows:

• Eat protein first (per post-op sample diet this is 60 grams per day)
  • Eat small meals; 3 meals 6-8 oz. in size and 3 snacks daily
  • Eat slowly. A meal should take 20-30 minutes and a cup of liquid should take 60 minutes.
  • CHEW, CHEW, CHEW! Chew each bite 30 times.
  • Do not drink with meals, or 30 minutes before and after meals.
  • Drink plenty of fluids (6-8 cups per day)
  • Take multivitamins/minerals/supplements every day.
Does anyone use or know of any apps that would help to calculate and track protein? As far as snacks, does anyone have any recommendations besides protein shakes and how much is allowed (I know for meals it's approximately 1 cup, are snacks the same?)? I know I am really going to have to work at this chewing thing. Does anyone have any tricks when it comes to something like scrambled eggs or yogurt? I have several medications that I need to take with food (for now anyways), since I am not supposed to drink with meals does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle this? As far as supplements I already take a multivitamin, calcium w/D and Vitamin D, so I have no problem with that part until I meet with the nutritionist or attend my pre-op teaching sessions.

The way I figure, the sooner I start changing my lifestyle, the better off I will be and think waiting until April to start is not an option I want to do.

Thanks!!

Maria :confused:

I have just started the process for weight loss surgery. I met with the psychologist for the first time yesterday and am scheduled for UGI/Ultrasound for tomorrow. Unfortunately, I will not be able to meet with the nutritionist until the end of April. The 2 pre-op teaching classes I am supposed to attend are only held once per month, so I missed March's and won't be able to go until beginning of April. The surgeon's office gave me a vague list for lifesyle dietary tips, but I am having trouble trying to "organize" everything in my brain and I know I have to lose 25-30 pounds before I can even be scheduled for surgery. The tips they gave me are as follows:

• Eat protein first (per post-op sample diet this is 60 grams per day)
  • Eat small meals; 3 meals 6-8 oz. in size and 3 snacks daily
  • Eat slowly. A meal should take 20-30 minutes and a cup of liquid should take 60 minutes.
  • CHEW, CHEW, CHEW! Chew each bite 30 times.
  • Do not drink with meals, or 30 minutes before and after meals.
  • Drink plenty of fluids (6-8 cups per day)
  • Take multivitamins/minerals/supplements every day.
Does anyone use or know of any apps that would help to calculate and track protein? As far as snacks, does anyone have any recommendations besides protein shakes and how much is allowed (I know for meals it's approximately 1 cup, are snacks the same?)? I know I am really going to have to work at this chewing thing. Does anyone have any tricks when it comes to something like scrambled eggs or yogurt? I have several medications that I need to take with food (for now anyways), since I am not supposed to drink with meals does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle this? As far as supplements I already take a multivitamin, calcium w/D and Vitamin D, so I have no problem with that part until I meet with the nutritionist or attend my pre-op teaching sessions.

The way I figure, the sooner I start changing my lifestyle, the better off I will be and think waiting until April to start is not an option I want to do.

Thanks!!

Maria :confused:

Hi Maria!

I have to take my pills with food, too. Drink enough to swallow your pills but just don't overdo it. They tell you not to drink so you don't wash your food through your stomach too fast and become hungry again too soon.

I think 6-8 oz is way too much to eat after surgery. I didn't eat that much at a time until past the first year. Most surgeons make the new size tummy at about 2 or 3 oz. The stomach should stretch gradually over time in very small incriments. You will feel really full just eating a couple spoonfuls at first and that's how you will drop a lot of weight in a short period of time.

I'm not sure what your question is about eggs except I can tell you how I eat one scrambled egg with cheese melted over it and sometimes put a little salsa on top for flavor. My surgeon said to be really careful with yogurt and other soft foods because many people will overdo it and eat too much/too many because yogurt is soft and digests quickly and hunger will come back too soon after eating it. Eat your protein first then have a spoonful for desert.

Good Luck,

Cheyenne:cool:

Yes 6 to 8 ounces post op is too much. Are your talking about pre-op perhaps and you are cutting back and getting used to a new way of eating?

Also, I have 5 or 6 mini meals a day. I am post op now almost 16 months and I still cannot consume 6 to 8 ounces at a meal. I do NOT mix liquids and food at a meal and I do eat slowly.

A lot of this will happen automatically for you. You will find that one hard boiled egg is just about all you can consume once you are back to real food post op (early stages). You simply will not be able to consume anymore.

Today at 16 months I can have 2 eggs for breakfast sometimes with a piece of toast. But believe me this leaves me quite full.

Best wishes,

Ralph

Hi Cheyenne!!

Thanks for the tip on what to do with the medications I need to take with food.

I'm sorry I confused you, but I am talking about PRE-OP. I realize the 6-8 oz. of food will be too much right after surgery. I want to start changing my habits now in order to prepare myself for surgery. Like I said, I am unable to meet with the nutritionist until the end of April and won't be able to attend the pre-op teaching class until the beginning of April. I feel I need to start changing right now in order to get a jump start. I know to eat protein first. I am looking for an app for my kindle or phone to help with calculating and track grams of protein as well as being able to track what I am eating and drinking and how much. I have been unable to find anything online to help me with this (maybe I am not looking in the right places?).

As far as scrambled eggs. I guess my question is HOW do you chew 30 times with something so soft already? More solid foods don't seem to be quite so difficult, although I need to work on this. I was hoping to get some tips on how to chew the softer foods. Normally, I do not eat much yogurt. If I do, I try to eat greek yogurt which has more protein. I was just using it as an example.

Anyway, thanks for your input!!

Maria

Hi Ralph!

Thanks for your input.

Yes, I am talking about pre-op. I do realize that 6-8 oz. post-op is too much. I want to start changing my habits now in order to prepare myself for surgery. Like I said, I am unable to meet with the nutritionist until the end of April and won't be able to attend the pre-op teaching class until the beginning of April. I feel I need to start changing right now in order to get a jump start. I know to eat protein first. I am looking for an app for my kindle or phone to help with calculating and track grams of protein as well as being able to track what I am eating and drinking and how much. I have been unable to find anything online to help me with this (maybe I am not looking in the right places?).

Do you have any tips on chewing softer foods like scrambled eggs 30 times?

Thanks.

Maria

Hi Cheyenne!!

Thanks for the tip on what to do with the medications I need to take with food.

I'm sorry I confused you, but I am talking about PRE-OP. I realize the 6-8 oz. of food will be too much right after surgery. I want to start changing my habits now in order to prepare myself for surgery. Like I said, I am unable to meet with the nutritionist until the end of April and won't be able to attend the pre-op teaching class until the beginning of April. I feel I need to start changing right now in order to get a jump start. I know to eat protein first. I am looking for an app for my kindle or phone to help with calculating and track grams of protein as well as being able to track what I am eating and drinking and how much. I have been unable to find anything online to help me with this (maybe I am not looking in the right places?).

As far as scrambled eggs. I guess my question is HOW do you chew 30 times with something so soft already? More solid foods don't seem to be quite so difficult, although I need to work on this. I was hoping to get some tips on how to chew the softer foods. Normally, I do not eat much yogurt. If I do, I try to eat greek yogurt which has more protein. I was just using it as an example.

Anyway, thanks for your input!!

Maria

Hi Maria, naw.. I don't chew my scrambled eggs, or yogurt 30 times. Lol.. that's just for chewable food like pieces of meat and foods that have substance to it. This rule is designed to help people like me who eat fast and gulp their food down. If you chew well and eat slowly then the brain has time to send the stomach the message that it's full. Also if you swallow too big of pieces of food it won't go down right and you most likely will vomit.

Cheyenne

Hi,

don't get overly obessed with chewing 30 times. I remember an uncle who used to chew milk 30 times! talk about ridiculous.

Anyway, the idea is to slow down your eating pace. slow. Even if you find you are eating too quickly, simply stop. Pause take a 5 minute timeout. This will become invaluable post op.

I still find myself getting ahead of schedule on eating rate. I can tell because the "burps" start to happen or the stuffed feeling happens prematurely. so, guess what I stop. I will leave in my SMALL PLATE the foods I cannot consume. I will wait about an hour and go back and finish. We are talking about 3 ounces of protein max and some veggies. To this day I have trouble with veggies. I get so gassy it is unbelievable. I am finding that 2 tablespoonfuls of pepto bismo help tremendously for me. That is after my Rx level of Pepcid.

Best wishes,
Ralph

Oh one more thing. Stop freaking out.

Calm down.

Be happy.

You are on a healthier journey of life now.

Take it in strides.

There is all kinds of support surrounding you.

Successful support.

Relax.

It will all work and come together.

Ralph

Back