• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Help me please.........

booboo709

Please help me. I got approved for my RNY surgery and I don't really have a date just yet. What intails the pre-op what will my dr tell me what to do. How long will I have to be on a clear liquids. I was told that my surgery should be in July of 2015. I am excited and nervous and scared but I am trying to look on the brighter side of things. Oh yeah what is in a PCA I never had one. What will they send me home with anything? Please I am begging for some answers and I was told I could get some help here.

Thanks booboo709

WELCOME to the Forum, Boo Boo!

Surgery is both exciting and scary. Most everyone feels this way. It's natural. This is the start of your new and healthier life! I don't know what PCA is. Clear liquids depends on your doctor's protocol. My doctor required me to be on liquids for 3 days before surgery. Some other surgeons require their patients be on clear liquids a month before surgery. You need to follow your own surgeon's instructions. He should have written instructions for your vitamins, supplements and minerals for you. He should give you a written diet which will change as time progresses.

Be sure your surgeon is a "Surgeon of Bariatric Excellence", and your hospital a "Hospital of Bariatric Excellence." It makes all the difference in a successful outcome.

Good Luck!

Cheyenne :cool:

Thank you so much for your help Cheyenne. I found out that a PCA is a pain pump my dr told me today that all I have to do is push a button and it gives me pain meds. Then he will switch me to something by mouth don't know what kind it will be though. He said that I will lose about 30 lbs the first two months. I weigh 240 lbs. now so I am going to try to get down to 125 lbs. I am just well my biggest fear is the pain how long will I hurt after having a RNY SURGERY. And I am scared of not getting enough vitamins and protein. Well thanks again
booboo709

Hi Boo Boo! Don't worry about the pain, my stomach was a little sore but really so much better than I ever expected. Most surgeons do the bariatric surgery laparoscopically now. It was a piece of cake not having to be cut open and it makes healing time and recovery very fast. As long as you have a good doctor you will be just fine.

Cheyenne :cool:

Hi boo boo, how are you doing? To answer a few of your questions, is what I'm doing now. I'm on a two week liquid diet of protein shakes three times a day, taking all vitamins, of course, drinking lots of fluids in between. I've been doing it for one week and lost 9 lbs already. You pretty much do the Stage 1 and Stage 2 diet. The day before surgery I have to do a bowel prep, yuck, lol. Then, on June 24 I go in for my surgery. I'm very excited and scared too. The best thing for you to really do is be patient. Everything will fall into place. I had been sitting here stressing out about everything and then I just decided to take one step at a time. You can do this. Good luck boo boo :)

Back