• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Help! Not losing weight....

I think your body is adjusting and there is a real thing as a 3 (or 4) month stall, maybe yours came a little early. The best thing you can do is keep doing what you are doing and the weight will come off. Here are some videos you can watch about it:

Weight Loss Stall - Dr. Matthew Weiner

3 Week Stall - Dr. John Pilcher
Yeah, I went from 241 to 175 in five months, then stayed there, even though I was active, eating right, working out at the Y six days a week.

Then, I stalled for 4 or 5 months. Drove me NUTS. I stuck to the plan and one day, started losing again and got down into the 130s.

My body ultimately corrected and now I live in a range between 140 and 160. Before RYGB I would have thought this was obese, but if i go below that range, people say I look like a skeleton. My comfortable weight is 150. Even "I" think I look good at that weight.

My muscle tone is f#cked since the pandemic. Lately I've been really feeling it. No one ever thinks I look like I'm pushing 70, usually guessing I'm in my late 40s/early 50s. But right now, I couldn't go wilderness hiking if you paid me. That's unacceptable.

I hate to say this, but this is a race, not a sprint. Just focus on your amazing success and use affirmations to set short-term goals. Forget the long-term. This last year has shown us how unpredictable the future is. It's much more gratifying to take the measure of a day than a week, a week than a month, a month than a year.

Congratulations. You're alive and you're here.

Surgery was late March. GS- lost 40 pounds. Have not lost weight in 3 weeks. assumed it was the 5 week stall in early May have not lost any weight since early May.... eating less than 1200 calories a day ..........this is very frustrating

What kind of food are you eating? Each of us can process some foods better than others, so finding the right combination of foods is important.

What kind of exercise are you doing? Intense cardio can slow your metabolism, but resistance training can build muscle to support your basal/resting metabolism where most of our calories are burned.

You might try changing to a different diet from what you are currently eating. Calories are not early as important as finding foods your body metabolises well and foods that do not cause insulin spikes. Sugar and carbs are not the only things that can increase insulin in some people.

Other changes to consider, if they apply: If you are eating any "healthy" processed foods, replace them with whole foods. If you are consuming artificial sweeteners, switch to water or natural sweeteners. Make sure your hydration is very good.

Try to focus on finding the right diet that will not only help with weight loss, but one you can maintain for the rest of your life to keep the weight off that you've lost.

Just, love your new picture! Are you tracking your intake? You say you’re under 1200 calories, but are you too low? How’s your protein? Are you exercising too much?
Just, love your new picture! Are you tracking your intake? You say you’re under 1200 calories, but are you too low? How’s your protein? Are you exercising too much?
3mom. How many calories are you thinking we should be eating? I am 5 weeks out and am having 300 to 700 calories a day mostly in the 500's per day. I do measure and weigh everything. I am asking because I am still not having good weight loss. I will ask this next week when I have my 6 week check up. Thank you for any help

I think at 5 weeks I was having around 400-500 calories, and I was at almost zero activity other than normal walking around the house things. How’s your protein? Also can depend on your starting weight how quickly you can lose. Did you lose a lot before surgery?

I think at 5 weeks I was having around 400-500 calories, and I was at almost zero activity other than normal walking around the house things. How’s your protein? Also can depend on your starting weight how quickly you can lose. Did you lose a lot before surgery?
I walk at least 5 days a week sometimes I get in 7 days. my walks are at lest 20 min but most of the time 45 min. I am not speed walking but not a slow walk. I work up a sweat. I get in 1300 to 1500 steps in a day. I did lose 42 pounds before surgery. Day of surgery 222 today 209. I am worried the PA I meet with next week is going to tell me I am not doing well or something right. I get in 65 to 75 protein a day. And I get my 64 to 80 Oz of water in each day now. but his is new within the last week to almost 2 weeks. I have moved down 3 jean sizes now. but want the scale to move also. I want to be under 200 so bad it is driving me nuts. LOL

It sounds like things are moving in the right direction. You might be doing too much cardio exercise and not enough muscle strengthening. A lot of cardio is high calorie burning, and you don’t want to burn off too much. Also, and I think this is more anecdotal, the more you lose before surgery, the slower you lose in the beginning after because the body is adjusting to the loss from before and after surgery.

It sounds like things are moving in the right direction. You might be doing too much cardio exercise and not enough muscle strengthening. A lot of cardio is high calorie burning, and you don’t want to burn off too much. Also, and I think this is more anecdotal, the more you lose before surgery, the slower you lose in the beginning after because the body is adjusting to the loss from before and after surgery.
Thank you, I think I will either feel better or worse after I meet with the PA. I just don't want to be the person who fails at this. My family (mother and sister) keep telling how I should be down more. This makes my own worries that I am not doing enough more real. I think I will be adding in more weights soon. I play with getting a trainer to help get me start and how to do things.

Everybody’s weight loss journey is different. Do not let anyone make you feel bad if you are not losing weight by leaps and bounds. Feel good about what you are doing, following the plan, getting your steps in. Tell yourself ten positive things about yourself when someone says something negative. Even if the positive is I passed on the candy and ate 5 pecans instead, because it was a better choice.

I would choose strength training (Higher weight, lower reps, 1 set less) and alternate from machines, to a mix of barbell and dumbell to kettlebell from week to week for 1-3 weeks to keep your muscles from falling into a memory rut to your workouts. After 3 weeks Drop the amount of weight, increase the number of reps by 2-3 and add one more set to do to increase endurance for three weeks and then go back to the week 1-3 training and mix it up a bit. Feed yourself a little bit of protein shake 30 min before your workout and a meal 30 min after your workout when your muscles absorb nutrients the best. Muscle is like a furnace that burns calories even at rest when recovering from workouts and will quickly burn fat. However, due to muscle weighing more you may see a stall or even a gain as you increase muscle mass/density vs fat but then see a sharp decline in fat after. That is not to say ignore cardio, I still do cardio every day.

Back