• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

HELP? To sleeve or not to sleeve?

RedMama

I am 3 weeks pre-op and had my office visit with my surgeon today. I have thought for the last 4 months that my insurance would only cover RNY. I was told today that I have a choice. 3 weeks out!! All of a sudden, after all this time I am considering a sleeve. I have no idea what surgery to have now. I believe I am slowly going insane. I asked the doctor to surprise me and just tell me what surgery I got after he's done but he said no. Can anyone help me? :confused:

I am 3 weeks pre-op and had my office visit with my surgeon today. I have thought for the last 4 months that my insurance would only cover RNY. I was told today that I have a choice. 3 weeks out!! All of a sudden, after all this time I am considering a sleeve. I have no idea what surgery to have now. I believe I am slowly going insane. I asked the doctor to surprise me and just tell me what surgery I got after he's done but he said no. Can anyone help me? :confused:

Hi RedMama! The reason I had a RNY was because I could just look at food and gain weight. I needed the extra help that the bypass gave me. My food is not absorbed as easily as it was before the operation. Changing my intestine around didn't hurt or feel funny in any way. Plus I have my small stomach pouch, too. The operation wasn't very painful at all. I knew from the very beginning that I only wanted the RNY.

I am no expert on the sleeve but many people on this forum have it and have done well with it. If you decide on the sleeve, you will have your stomach cut to a smaller size but the intestines won't be touched. So it really depends if you feel you will need the extra help bypassing some of your food absorption or instead rely solely on the stomach size reduction of the sleeve. The choice is yours.

Good luck!!!

Cheyenne. :cool:

Back