1. American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!
    Dismiss Notice

Help!!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Lisa Brokke, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Lisa Brokke

Lisa Brokke New Member

I am about 3 months in on my weight loss surgery journey. It should happen this winter sometime. I still have not fully decided if I can go through with this surgery. I"m scared. I've been trying a few different protein shakes and they make me gag. If i cant get the protein shakes down I'm screwed, right? I know this surgery will change my life in many wonderful ways, but I'm just not 100% decided yet. Any suggestions on the protein shakes?

Thank you.

Lisa

2. Pixx

Pixx Active Member

Surgery Type:
    Gastric Bypass
    Surgery Date:
    6-19-17
    Start Weight:
    Current Weight:
    Goal Weight:
    Congrats on your journey! There are other options than strictly protein shakes ;) I was like you, I didn't like any of the premade protein shakes on the market, and I tried nearly all of them. Texture, taste, it was all gross. What I didn't expect after surgery was the major taste bud changes that occur. So first, know that what your tasting before surgery has a high chance of not tasting the same after. For instance, I ended up getting a sample pack of Syntrax flavored protein from Amazon. There are like 17 different flavors and they actually cover a wide range of juice flavors and a few coffee/cookie ones as well, and you just add them to water. I found 6 of them that I liked after tasting all of them over a few weeks. I pre bought the protein thinking I was on track for success...now, after surgery, all except one of them are too sweet for me. I'm hoping that will change over time, but we'll see. So to offset drinking the same thing day after day, I bought medically unflavored whey protein and I add it to things that I can tolerate. Soup? Sure! I add 30 grams of protein to it. Broth? Yes! I add 30 grams to that as well. I've even added it to Powerade Zero drinks when I feel like I'm running behind on my protein for the day. It doesn't look appealing, but it also doesn't affect the taste of the drink so it works as well. I'm sure there are many other options out there and hopefully some of these will help. Best of luck!

Jeff N likes this.
  3. Tracy Lindenmuth

Tracy Lindenmuth Bariatric Guru

Surgery Type:
    Bariatric bypass
    Surgery Date:
    December 22, 2016
    Start Weight:
    Current Weight:
    Goal Weight:
    Premier shakes, premade are really yummy, if you like strawberry quick, then you will like the stawberries and cream, I also love the caramel and chocolate

4. Carolyn337

Carolyn337 Active Member

Surgery Type:
    Sleeve
    Surgery Date:
    8/21/2017
    Start Weight:
    337lbs
    Current Weight:
    Goal Weight:
    I tried them. They are good. But I tried to try the banana. It was spoiled. I called premier for replacements. I hope they are good as well cause that gives one more in variety.

Tracy Lindenmuth likes this.