• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

HELP

MsLadytay

First hello everyone,
My problem is that I have been gaining my weight back, I was close to 200lbs from 270lbs. I heard about people getting this surgery more than once; I can't do it again; it would be to much of a health risk and this pandemic; having to be home everyday with the refrigeratorI'm already back up to 235I need all the help that I can possibly get and more.

First hello everyone,
My problem is that I have been gaining my weight back, I was close to 200lbs from 270lbs. I heard about people getting this surgery more than once; I can't do it again; it would be to much of a health risk and this pandemic; having to be home everyday with the refrigeratorI'm already back up to 235I need all the help that I can possibly get and more.
How long ago did you have your surgery?

Which surgery did you have, and how long ago? Have you changed any habits - going back to basics is always a great place to start. Hyrdrate, hydrate, hydrate - many times we start to gain because we are not getting enough water. I personally would also go to the doc and be sure that there is not something else going medically that would cause you to gain (for example, thyroid issue or maybe medication that has a side effect of weight gain). For me, I had gained when I developed severe reflux and could not eat properly without becoming ill. Now that is taken care of, and I am able to eat as I should.

First hello everyone,
It really is important to look at dates when things happen. It sounds like you're saying you've gained 35 pounds in the last two months. If so, you need to see your surgeon, and you may also be panic-eating because everything is so scary and stressful.

Try to chart your ups and downs precisely. You will be better-armed to fight your eating disorder if you track its movements.

There's no way a doctor is going to offer another surgery because you're gaining weight. Based on your story, your fight is with your enemy, your eating disorder.

Stop poor eating habits right now and return to your eating plan. You did the hard thing--surgery. Don't waste it when you've gone through so much to get here.;)

It really is important to look at dates when things happen. It sounds like you're saying you've gained 35 pounds in the last two months. If so, you need to see your surgeon, and you may also be panic-eating because everything is so scary and stressful.

Try to chart your ups and downs precisely. You will be better-armed to fight your eating disorder if you track its movements.

There's no way a doctor is going to offer another surgery because you're gaining weight. Based on your story, your fight is with your enemy, your eating disorder.

Stop poor eating habits right now and return to your eating plan. You did the hard thing--surgery. Don't waste it when you've gone through so much to get here.;)
Thank you, right now my doctor is unavailable due to the pandemic; offices are closed, except for emergencies

Which surgery did you have, and how long ago? Have you changed any habits - going back to basics is always a great place to start. Hyrdrate, hydrate, hydrate - many times we start to gain because we are not getting enough water. I personally would also go to the doc and be sure that there is not something else going medically that would cause you to gain (for example, thyroid issue or maybe medication that has a side effect of weight gain). For me, I had gained when I developed severe reflux and could not eat properly without becoming ill. Now that is taken care of, and I am able to eat as I should.
I'm able to drink a little easier without difficulty, I still have some difficulty swallowing but it's not to bad. I do have to get back to basics, I need help getting started, I don't know where to start since I can't contact my doctor.

I'm able to drink a little easier without difficulty, I still have some difficulty swallowing but it's not to bad. I do have to get back to basics, I need help getting started, I don't know where to start since I can't contact my doctor.
Wow, so you are really early on... so your body is still adjusting a lot. Having a gain of that amount so early in is a bit concerning - does your doctor do any televisits? Have they started you on regular foods yet, or are you still on softer foods? This early on, I would say that your body is adjusting significantly. Focusing on liquids and protein are #1 this early on. Drink as much water as you can get in (goal of half your body weight in ounces is a good goal, but I am not sure if you would be able to hit that this early). This is an instance where I would say protein shakes is probably needed to get your protein up, and that also helps with hydration.
I am taken aback that your surgeon's office is not open for some sort of visit or call back this early on. I don't know what other health issues you do or don't have happening, but gaining that much this early on makes me concerned that there is something else at work here, and I would really encourage you to contact even your primary doc if you cannot get in with your surgeon's office. Always better safe than sorry!

Thank you, right now my doctor is unavailable due to the pandemic; offices are closed, except for emergencies
Well, I would classify what's going on with you to be urgent if not an emergency. But are you sure your doctor's office is still closed? Most doctors' offices are open now here in Seattle. I just got back from my doctor's office where had my cholesterol and thyroid screened and also got treated for an upper respiratory infection I've had ever since the pandemic began.

The office actually called me and told me I was due for my cholesterol screen and wanted to schedule it as quickly as possible, which we did.

Even if your doctor's office is not open, most doctors know they have an obligation to keep up with their patients, especially if those patients just had surgery.

At very least, I would leave a message at my surgeon's office, because there's no way that they are completely cut off from civilization. They must have a way to retrieve messages from patients because there must be patients with serious problems who need attention.

Also, in re-reading your post, it sounds like you're saying you lost 70 lb in 2 and 1/2 months and gained back 35 in the same time period. I can totally believe that you lost 70 lbs during that time because that's about the same as what happened to me. But I don't know how you could have gained 35 pounds back already.

I don't see how this kind of weight gain is possible at the same time as you're losing weight, unless you aren't following an eating plan, or unless you have some post-surgical problem like strictures, which usually happen early in your post-operative stage.

In any event, you are correct, you do need help. And you really need it right now. So I would make the call and I would also contact the nutritionist that you must have been seeing prior to surgery and then if you are following the eating plan, I would be very concerned. Once you have ruled out the organic problem, then you can move on to the emotional problem and focus on that. But you have to find out if your stall is related to a malfunction in your digestive system.

Well, I would classify what's going on with you to be urgent if not an emergency. But are you sure your doctor's office is still closed? Most doctors' offices are open now here in Seattle. I just got back from my doctor's office where had my cholesterol and thyroid screened and also got treated for an upper respiratory infection I've had ever since the pandemic began.

The office actually called me and told me I was due for my cholesterol screen and wanted to schedule it as quickly as possible, which we did.

Even if your doctor's office is not open, most doctors know they have an obligation to keep up with their patients, especially if those patients just had surgery.

At very least, I would leave a message at my surgeon's office, because there's no way that they are completely cut off from civilization. They must have a way to retrieve messages from patients because there must be patients with serious problems who need attention.

Also, in re-reading your post, it sounds like you're saying you lost 70 lb in 2 and 1/2 months and gained back 35 in the same time period. I can totally believe that you lost 70 lbs during that time because that's about the same as what happened to me. But I don't know how you could have gained 35 pounds back already.

I don't see how this kind of weight gain is possible at the same time as you're losing weight, unless you aren't following an eating plan, or unless you have some post-surgical problem like strictures, which usually happen early in your post-operative stage.

In any event, you are correct, you do need help. And you really need it right now. So I would make the call and I would also contact the nutritionist that you must have been seeing prior to surgery and then if you are following the eating plan, I would be very concerned. Once you have ruled out the organic problem, then you can move on to the emotional problem and focus on that. But you have to find out if your stall is related to a malfunction in your digestive system.
Definitely a medical emergency!!! They need to at least being tele-visits!!! I've had at 5 since they shut things down in NY my 1 year Bariatric appt, one with my body-contouring surgeon & several with my PCP.

Wow, so you are really early on... so your body is still adjusting a lot. Having a gain of that amount so early in is a bit concerning - does your doctor do any televisits? Have they started you on regular foods yet, or are you still on softer foods? This early on, I would say that your body is adjusting significantly. Focusing on liquids and protein are #1 this early on. Drink as much water as you can get in (goal of half your body weight in ounces is a good goal, but I am not sure if you would be able to hit that this early). This is an instance where I would say protein shakes is probably needed to get your protein up, and that also helps with hydration.
I am taken aback that your surgeon's office is not open for some sort of visit or call back this early on. I don't know what other health issues you do or don't have happening, but gaining that much this early on makes me concerned that there is something else at work here, and I would really encourage you to contact even your primary doc if you cannot get in with your surgeon's office. Always better safe than sorry!
I will try again tomorrow; I'm hoping maybe the dietitian is back in.

I will try again tomorrow to see if the office is open again; in New Jersey; clinics are only handling emergency cases or cases that cannot wait. Like for me they will see me because I'm asthmatic,hypertensive and diabetic; to make sure I have all my meds and to help me avoid going to the hospital ER. That's it; anything else; it can wait until this virus is less of a threat.

I will try again tomorrow to see if the office is open again; in New Jersey; clinics are only handling emergency cases or cases that cannot wait. Like for me they will see me because I'm asthmatic,hypertensive and diabetic; to make sure I have all my meds and to help me avoid going to the hospital ER. That's it; anything else; it can wait until this virus is less of a threat.
Considering your comorbidities, I don't see how you could be turned away if you showed up at a public hospital's ER. You're sitting on a powder keg and your 35 pounds is the fuse in that stick of dynamite you do not want to explode. You're acute but you seem to be thinking you're chronic. You're not chronic right now, not with the way you've described this rapid weight gain. I don't know what it's like in Jersey. I do know that if I was in your shoes and was painted into a corner by this pandemic, which might end up taking my life in an ironic collateral damage, I'd just walk into an ER and sit there until someone saw me & then sent me up the chain.

And please allow me to apologize for not greeting you. Welcome to the group. You can find a lot of answers here, as well as a whole lot of arrows pointing you in intriguing directions. But we can't answer your medical questions, even though many members have a very similar profile to yours. Please go to the ER if your doc doesn't make time to see you. Don't give up on yourself; that's what we do when we stop caring about our lives so much that we let ourselves balloon up, up, up... with no end in sight. You might not even be able to fully comprehend how serious what you're describing about your health is.

Well in Jersey; all non-emergency situations are put on hold until this virus is more controlled
It is the same situation here in NY but I've still been able to at least talk to my doctors/nurses. Actually, one of my surgeons is located in NJ and he did a tele-visit. I really hope that you got a call back today.

And as Diane mentioned, I also apologize for not welcoming you to the site. Your situation got us all worked up and worried and we forgot our manners. :) So welcome.

Welcome. You said you had your surgery around March. What day was it? Was it sleeve or gastric bypass? Do you track your food? How many calories a day are you eating? If you post what you eat in a day we may be able to offer some advice. Are you using an app that could track your food? That is a good way to see exactly what you are doing.

Are you following any kind of post op food plan?

Keep posting; we want to help.

Welcome. You said you had your surgery around March. What day was it? Was it sleeve or gastric bypass? Do you track your food? How many calories a day are you eating? If you post what you eat in a day we may be able to offer some advice. Are you using an app that could track your food? That is a good way to see exactly what you are doing.

Are you following any kind of post op food plan?

Keep posting; we want to help.
Unfortunately, to all your questions; the answer is no. I feel like I literally have to act as if I just got the surgery done.

There is obviously a lot of emotional stuff going on here because of the pandemic. But again, you seem to have a real grasp on the situation. You do have to act like you just had surgery. You really do need to go back to square one and do the liquid eating phase and work your way up to solids just like you did after the surgery. There is an article in our Resources section here about the 5-day Pouch Reset. That can be found by scrolling down on the first page. You might want to give that a read.

But I still think your numbers are too alarming to ignore. I really think you need to report this to your surgeon and make sure you get checked out for strictures and such, as soon as possible.

One part of post op eating is to eat no more than 1/2 cup of food at a time, and eat every three hours, for a total of 5 meals per day.
Perhaps you could do this for starters.
Some things to try are oatmeal, cream of wheat, scrambled eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese, protein drinks. Canned chicken works well for me also.
Stop water 15 minutes before eating, and no water til 1/2 hour after eating.

You got this. You can do this. Keep us posted.

And if I may, I'd like to add something to Mary's post. Find the recipe for Magic Milk by searching the posts here and don't make your oatmeal or Malt o Meal or cream of wheat or fat-free-sugar-free pudding with water, but with the MM. you get more protein grams in sooner without eating more food. And it adds a level of deliciousness you'll appreciate.

Lately I've been making protein drinks better by putting them in a shaker bottle and adding a teaspoon of dry pudding mix and/or a few drops of extract, like vanilla or rum or maple, a little plain yogurt and MM. That is a high-protein blast and it tastes really good. It takes me an hour or two to drink the whole thing, sipping along, and I don't have a desire to eat while I'm drinking it.

Back