• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Helpful products

JudyNY

I thought it would be good to start a thread on helpful products. Please feel free to add anything that you find useful as someone may not of thought of it or even knew it existed.

I found these in my local grocery store. I love that you can prepackage snacks ingredients to a recipe and store them in a handy package. Great for people who take lunches but also great that something is ready for you when you are hungry and don't know what to eat. So much easier to grab something already measured. I also checked and they do have the same product under a different brand at amazon if you can't find it locally.

I use disposable (non BPA and I just wash and reuse) resealable (tupperware style) containers from my local dollar tree. The small Betty Crocker brand ones are 1/2 cup containers and have a line inside to show you where a 1/4C is. They have larger ones, but this size is perfect for me. They are great for meal prep. I make a batch of protein pudding and a batch of overnight oats every week. They're also nice to just throw an ounce of almonds in, if you're going to be out and might need a snack before you get back.

I use disposable (non BPA and I just wash and reuse) resealable (tupperware style) containers from my local dollar tree. The small Betty Crocker brand ones are 1/2 cup containers and have a line inside to show you where a 1/4C is. They have larger ones, but this size is perfect for me. They are great for meal prep. I make a batch of protein pudding and a batch of overnight oats every week. They're also nice to just throw an ounce of almonds in, if you're going to be out and might need a snack before you get back.
How do you make your protein pudding?

If you live alone or if you are eating different from other family members, this is something I find useful.

When cooking my own meals I freeze in the perfect sized portion in Souper Cubes. They come in all sizes and have tiny ones to 2 cup ones. I use the 1 cup (looks like an ice cube tray with 4 big 1 cup measurements) and that is a perfect portion for me to defrost and eat being 7 months out. But here's the cool part. You only need 1 set of them because it has a half cup fill line too. It comes with a lid and you freeze them overnight. Then remove them from the tray frozen and pop them in a Ziplock freezer bag, label and date it and you are all set. Now you only need to defrost one cube at a time! You can even bake in these, though I haven't tried that yet. (They are also available on Amazon - not cheap but worth it!)

Last edited:
There's a lot that you can freeze, some are obvious some maybe not so much. I'll try to remember some of the things I have done:

Soups
Chili
Egg Roll in a Bow (which contains cabbage, etc)
Various kinds of meatballs: Italian, Teriyaki, Swedish
Shredded meats such as Salsa Chicken, BBQ chicken, Pork carnita
Stir Fry meals

Not sure if I've had anything that didn't freeze well that I can remember.

Since we focus so much on protein, especially in the beginning, pretty much everything freezes well. And I am a huge fan of freezing in small portion sizes. Pretty much anything that you can bake you can put into a cupcake tin and make multiple and freeze them. I make mini meatloaf, chicken parm patties, quiche, frittatas, shepherds pie, and chicken pot pie in them pretty regularly. I am the only one in my house who eats small portions so I freeze 2 each for the fam and 1 for me.

What's overnight oats?

Judy I have the souper cubes too and LOVE them. I use them for all sorts of things. I love Rao’s marinara on a turkey meatball but can never get through the jar fast enough so I freeze portions in the cubes and just microwave one as needed. Also soups, chili, etc.

Back