• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Here I am on the other side

Karenina

After almost 3 years of preparation, I find myself on the other side. It feels very weird. I'm having a lot of pain, since I also had my gall bladder removed and a hiatal hernia repair, but the pain is very manageable. I haven't had any nausea or vomiting and am getting my fluids down. Is this the calm before the storm? WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME? This feels too easy.

the surgery was about 2-1/2 hours--about 20 minutes to do the sleeve, 30 minutes to do the hernia repair, and the rest to do the gall bladder removal. I had a really short duct from the GB to the liver, so he said the surgery was a little tricky. I have a great surgeon. He does things to ward off nausea, like putting a patch behind the ear, and giving other medicines before the nausea happens. It worked, no nausea or vomiting. I'm happy. No buyers remorse yet.

They did the same thing for my as well I took some mess and a patch as well. I was up and walking 2 hrs afterwards cause I hated those things that squeeze your legs. They are put on to prevent clots but I said I'd would rather walk around than deal with! Other than that I was ok other than it was hard to swallow. The liquid diet was an experience!! That's when I lost the most weight ! I lost 30 lbs that first week post op! Good luck hope you do good!

were in tennessee did you have it done i am in blount county and im having it done at blount memorial it would be cool if you close we can compair notes let me know

Congratulations! I'm glad it is going so well. I didn't have any complications from the surgery and the only time I vomited was when I got carried away by eating too much and drinking (big no no) on vacation. I ended up in the bathroom at the restaurant and lost everything I had taken in! I haven't done that again! I've never regreted having the surgery. I did have one incision site that bothered me for a few weeks, so I continued to take the pain medicine but I feel great now and am more active.

Best wishes on your journey!

Cheyenne, I am getting all my fluids and protein down 1 week post op. I feel so fortunate because I know others have struggled. Yesterday I had my first obsessive craving. I wanted a protein bar--not a bad food choice, but I'm still on phase I liquids. It lasted for about 4 hours. It drives me crazy. It's like the devil and the angel on your shoulder. The devil is saying "no one would know, go ahead" and the angel is saying "you need to stay on plan and not sabotage all your hard work". Does the devil ever go away?

A note to all who are on the fence about bypass or gastric sleeve. When I was wheeled into my room after surgery and still groggy from anesthesia, I heard the nurse say, "oh good, she's a sleeve. they do so much better than bypass patients". Just sayin'

Karenina, No I dont think the devil ever does go away BUT the good news is that your tummy is tiny so if you do give in to something not on your diet, two bites will fill you up, then give the rest to the dog cause its never as good as you remembered. I wouldnt eat something solid when youre still on liquids though. My surgeon said that solids too soon could tear the stomach and it takes a full 3 weeks for the stomach to be healed well enough that it cant tear open.

Hi Karenina,

I am two weeks post surgery today. It has been a real struggle for me. Couldn't do the protein powder, made me nauseated, it has been really rough. It is still rough but now I am on soft pureed foods, it makes it better but still hard. I have lost 20 pounds these past two weeks. I know in the end it will be worth it. Since our dates are so close maybe we can keep in touch and help each other out. I have found it easier to talk to someone going or have gone through the same thing. Good Luck.

Hi Karenina,

I am two weeks post surgery today. It has been a real struggle for me. Couldn't do the protein powder, made me nauseated, it has been really rough. It is still rough but now I am on soft pureed foods, it makes it better but still hard. I have lost 20 pounds these past two weeks. I know in the end it will be worth it. Since our dates are so close maybe we can keep in touch and help each other out. I have found it easier to talk to someone going or have gone through the same thing. Good Luck.
Sounds good. Even tho our dates are close together, you've lost 20 pounds and I've lost 0 in ten days. I'm not worried. It will happen.

So glad your surgery went well. At about 2 weeks I was wanting to chew something, but it was way to soon. You know the drill follow the plan and for me the hunger decreased as my sleeve healed. The head hunger or the devil will roar its ugly head every now and then. I just check in with myself to see what is going on and make a choice. Deal with what is, and I don't always know, or eat too much and then I can focus on how bad I feel. This is still a way of distracting me from what is really going on. I know you will do well you have hung in longer than anyone I know to get this surgery. So glad you are on the other side. Hugs.

Hello, I'm two days into my recovery from a gastric sleeve
And well I'm in hell!!! I can feel the liquids go down n once they
Reach a specific point it's uncomfortable n I burp n then the liquids continue down.
I have these crazy pains stomach pains that come when I get up and I'm not
Sure if it's gas or I should be worried. All I hear is how everyone's surgery went
Fantastic and easy n I'm so happy for the people that didn't experience this but can someone
Help ease my mind....do these feelings go away???? Help plzzzzz

Welcome to the forum! I don't think the people that breeze through a sleeve are in the majority at all. Your experience sounds more common. After all, they removed most of your stomach! Just make sure that you sip, not gulp, and if you forget, which is very easy to do, and take in a mouthful of liquid, don't swallow it all at once. Gas-x strips helped me a lot too. and you should expect a lot of pain. Take the pain medicine they gave you and it should help.

Hi Avedangelica, Just wondering if your surgeon gave you probiotics? I was on it for 3 months after surgery, I think most bariatric patients are given it and it does help the stomachs digestion, acid and pain.

I didn't have much pain at all from the surgery.. although I did have problems getting my fluids in and the proteins well they are taking some doing. Protein drinks are the easiest way but I am on pureed food and I'm trying to do both now. I am so happy that you are on your way to a new healthier you and that it is going good. My surgeon warned me that everyone will get sick at sometime and it's true. My tastes have changed since the surgery and now I just try a little first and see how that goes. Keep up the awesome job!!!!

Back