• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hey everyone... I'm new here!

Cortney

Hey guys I live in Georgia and am a Mom to two wonderful children(7 and 2). I started my journey in July. My insurance requires 6 months of nutrition visits and I have been to 4 visits so far and I'm looking forward to finishing them and hoping to have sleeve surgery in march.
When I started this journey I was 323 and I am down to 290 ish. I started out really good and lost weight but as I have experienced my entire life have lost and gained since. I started a new job in October and it is making it really hard for me to stay on track. I work as a 4yr pre k teacher and we serve snacks and lunch in the class and my willpower sucks because I find myself snacking on their lunch or snacks during the day. I bring my lunch and my own snacks but still find it hard not to snack on their lunch, so any tips would be great! What kind of snacks do y'all eat during the day?
I have also joined a Gym and try to go 3-4 times a week, but I feel like a fool when I go because I'm not sure what to. I will walk on the treadmill ride the stationary bike and use the machines a little. When it comes to the machines and free weights I'm kinda lost, so some gym advice would be nice.
I'm looking forward to this journey and getting back on track. I'm hoping for a healthy new year!

Hey guys I live in Georgia and am a Mom to two wonderful children(7 and 2). I started my journey in July. My insurance requires 6 months of nutrition visits and I have been to 4 visits so far and I'm looking forward to finishing them and hoping to have sleeve surgery in march.
When I started this journey I was 323 and I am down to 290 ish. I started out really good and lost weight but as I have experienced my entire life have lost and gained since. I started a new job in October and it is making it really hard for me to stay on track. I work as a 4yr pre k teacher and we serve snacks and lunch in the class and my willpower sucks because I find myself snacking on their lunch or snacks during the day. I bring my lunch and my own snacks but still find it hard not to snack on their lunch, so any tips would be great! What kind of snacks do y'all eat during the day?
I have also joined a Gym and try to go 3-4 times a week, but I feel like a fool when I go because I'm not sure what to. I will walk on the treadmill ride the stationary bike and use the machines a little. When it comes to the machines and free weights I'm kinda lost, so some gym advice would be nice.
I'm looking forward to this journey and getting back on track. I'm hoping for a healthy new year!
Hi Cortney. Fellow Ga girl here. I'm in Gainesville. Congrats on your weight loss thus far. You are off to a great start. Think of the dirty hands touching the snacks and maybe that will keep you eating your own food. Sorry I don't have any other ideas. I used the treadmill only at the gym as I was scared of the weight equipment, so I won't be much help there. Mainly just wanted to welcome you to the group.

Hi Cortney,
I am scheduled to have by pass on January 6, so I am getting close. I would suggest, with regard to the gym, stay with the weight machines as they take a lot of the danger of hurting yourself out of the equation. Free weights require a spotter to assist if you cannot return the weights to a safe position, and a machine will do that for you. Also if you lift with poor technique, you can hurt yourself and pull or tear muscle. Start with light weight and low repetitions, and slowly work up to more reps and weight. Do not push too hard when starting out. I would also suggest that you alternate upper body work with lower body every-other day to give time for muscle groups to recover rather than working the same muscle groups every day. Good luck on your journey.

Hi Cortney,
I am scheduled to have by pass on January 6, so I am getting close. I would suggest, with regard to the gym, stay with the weight machines as they take a lot of the danger of hurting yourself out of the equation. Free weights require a spotter to assist if you cannot return the weights to a safe position, and a machine will do that for you. Also if you lift with poor technique, you can hurt yourself and pull or tear muscle. Start with light weight and low repetitions, and slowly work up to more reps and weight. Do not push too hard when starting out. I would also suggest that you alternate upper body work with lower body every-other day to give time for muscle groups to recover rather than working the same muscle groups every day. Good luck on your journey.

That's great workout advice TeeJay, thanks so much for that! Very informative. Please update us all on how your surgery went! We will be keeping you in our thoughts and prayers today!!

Back