• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hi Everyone---I'm new here from Ohio!!!!

danjfalke

Hi----My name is Dan and I had RNY surgery 12-22-10----I started at about 278 and since then, have been leveled out at 230 +/-. I am still using mostly the liquid stuff from Bariatric Choice plus stuff like bananas, oatmeal, and have tried solid food with naseating results---have been told my body is use to just having liquids and it will be doubly hard to get back into solids. I have been in anemia and am on extra iron, I was borderline diabetic prior but it went away right after the RNY. I have a ulcer in my little pouch/stomach and am having a second endoscopy this month to see if it is healing. I was diagnosed with a ascending aortic aneuryism a couple of months ago which scared the hell out of me but am keeping the blood pressure down.--------Enough of that, I am walking almost 3 miles a day, and am very grateful I had the surgery. One thing I do know for sure----DON'T GET ADDICTED TO CHOCOLATE!!!!!!----ha------a major downfall for me----am 3 days free!!----ha-----anybody still wanting pizza, hamburgers, etc etc????-----ha-----Bless you all----Dan

So glad to hear your diabetes went away. It oftentimes does. Sorry to hear you have had an ulcer, anemia and now have an aneuryism. I wonder if you would've found out about the aneuryism if you hadn't had the surgery or complications? Walking 3 miles a day.. I need to catch up.. you are an inspiration-keep up the good work.. It will pay off. I had diabetes that went away with the surgery..oh so nice to not have the ups and down of blood sugars!!!! the surgery was worth it just for this reason. I didn't realize just how bad I felt.. I was not able to get off my blood pressure medication but had one of the pills dosage lowered. As far as chocolate goes.. can you eat chocolate now?? I can eat small amounts of sugar not much unless I have protein with it..I go through periods of wanting it so I buy a very small item and allow myself that small amount.. then I just tell myself I've had it- get over it. Sometimes my mind and body get over it- sometimes..well.. Pizza.. I have a slice now and then.. I make sure it is my favorite with healthy veggies on it and I enjoy.. hamburgers??? never craved one of those... cake and cookies..watch out! I had surgery Dec. 2008.. Lost from to 288 to 169(for a day) went immediately up to 177 and stayed for a long time and now up to 188- so I'm conscious that the scale is sliding upward and am determined to make it go back down.I can tell a difference in how I feel in this amount of weight change.. felt much better at 169-170- even 177 so here I go . have slowed down with exercise.. Today is the day I hit the gymn and start walking again! God bless you as well! Kim

Hi Kim---thanks for the reply and am glad your diabetes is gone as well. I was told my was "borderline" so was on Metforom (sp) for a few weeks---i have no history in my family of diabetes so was amazed I had it. Yes, I can eat chocolate and am making an effort to really reduce/stop using it---ha----The aneurysm was a fluke as far as being discovered----I was walking down some stairs after jury duty and I missed the last 2-3 steps and fell on my left side/chest---I was holding a plastic bottle so fell on it----it was painful in my chest area so went to a satellite emergency room---they did a scan and not only did I have broken ribs, but that is when the aneurysm was discovered and THAT REALLY SCARRED ME!!!! Anyhow it's size is 4.3 and the thoracic surgeon said not to worry about it (YEA RIGHT) until it gets to 6.0-----so about 2 weeks later or so, I started limping on my left foot and was painful---got it x-rayed and I have a broken bone along the outer side of the left foot---evidently as a result of that fall as well------AREN'T WE HAVING FUN!!!!!!-----haha---so am dealing with stuff---the walking doesn't hurt so will continue----I am soooo grateful!!!!!!!-------hope things go well with you-----Dan

Back