• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hi got in bad accident had to cancel surgery

Hi I was scheduled for june16 but got in bad accident ended up in icu for 2 weeks and I am now in a rehab still unable to walk but really recovering fast so I am thinking it will be soon. I am so confident I just rescheduled for Aug 25th!!! Just wanted to check in with you guys your all such great support and I have just had obstacles after obstacle for me and this surgery. But I ain't giving up I am going to recover from this accident and get healthy enough for surgery and then I am getting this surgery. Being this big 300 pounds and being in the hospitol and now in rehab hospitol has been so humiliating and shameful and everythi g else you feel being this fat. I could give you so many examples but I am sure some of you know

I’m sorry about your accident! I hope your recovery is quick and painless (wishful thinking I know but I’m an optimist ;)). I know quite a few people who’ve had to go through rehab after accidents, and they’ve lost some weight in the process, so maybe you’ll be a little better off for your new surgery date. But I really wish you all the best on your recovery!

Thank you I think I was feeling a little lonely and sorry for myself last night when I wrote that. I am feeling grateful cause I am lucky to be here to be feeling any thing. I just got to giv myself time to heal I just want it all yesterday. But thank you for your kind thoughts and words

So sorry to hear that spooky! You're preservice is amazing. You are meeting every challenge with strength and I know you will overcome this latest one. It will take some time and I know it can't be easy, but I'm proud of you for planning for after. You know things will get better for you, and we are here to help you in any way we can on your journey. Please take it easy (not too easy, make sure you are doing your rehab exercises!) and make a full recovery. Without it, the surgery will be even harder on you and you don't deserve that. Keep us posted! Only positive thoughts coming your way!

Thank you so much it helps knowi ng you all are on my team! I broke e ery rib on my left side and 3 on my right side and my left ankle that's what's left to heal now are the broken bones and that just takes pain pills and time. My problem is they d I d not put a cast on my ankle just a boot and they are telling me it has to be completely non weight bearing. I keep thinking its healed caus it dose not hurt nothing hurts when you break all your ribs that's all you feel. It will just take time I can get ty through this and as soon as I can walk I got to walk walk walk and walk some more.the nurses and physical therapists here keep telling me that I am far exceeding their expectations and that really feels good. Its gonna be fine. I know it.. thank you all for letting me vent and for all your positive feedback and support.

Hi I was scheduled for june16 but got in bad accident ended up in icu for 2 weeks and I am now in a rehab still unable to walk but really recovering fast so I am thinking it will be soon. I am so confident I just rescheduled for Aug 25th!!! Just wanted to check in with you guys your all such great support and I have just had obstacles after obstacle for me and this surgery. But I ain't giving up I am going to recover from this accident and get healthy enough for surgery and then I am getting this surgery. Being this big 300 pounds and being in the hospitol and now in rehab hospitol has been so humiliating and shameful and everythi g else you feel being this fat. I could give you so many examples but I am sure some of you know
I'm so sorry! I hope your recuperation goes well and you heal quickly.

I do know what you mean about hospital care when you are obese. I have something I can laugh about now but was mortified at the time... I had to have a surgery on my... rear (yikes) when I was at about 270 lbs and when getting the details in pre-op, I got the news that I'd be put onto a machine that bends you forward so that your but is sticking up and then the cheeks would be spread apart. I wanted to die... at my weight, not only would it probably take 4-5 people to hoist me into position, but once they did, my big fat ass would be on display! After being told that, I asked for a sedative immediately!

Now I can put it in perspective. Medical workers see the worst of the worst. I'm sure my fat butt wasn't even the worst they saw that week. ;)

Back