• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hi. Im new and am worried about the complications of this surgery.

I'm new here too and also worried about what might happen. I think we did a good thing by joining a support group. Best of luck to you.

I'm too chicken. I just cancelled my surgery. I've lost before when I was focused. I'm just going to get my focus on again and do it without the surgery. I see all these posts, people having issues, I just can't deal with that. So good luck to you. I wish you all the best. I'm out.

Hello,

There are always complications with any surgery. Your doctor should have gone down the list of what possible complications could arise after surgery such as:

Potentially serious complications
Surgical:
  • Perforation of stomach/intestine or leakage, causing peritonitis or abscess
  • Internal bleeding requiring transfusion
  • Severe wound infection, opening of the wound, incisional hernia
  • Spleen injury requiring removal/other organ injury
  • Gastric outlet or bowel obstruction
Pulmonary:
  • Pneumonia, atelectasis (collapse of lung tissue), fluid in chest
  • Respiratory insufficiency, pulmonary edema (fluid in lungs)
  • Blood clots in legs/lungs (embolism)
Cardiovascular:
  • Myocardial infarction (heart attack), congestive heart failure
  • Arrhythmias (irregular heartbeats)
  • Stroke (cerebrovascular accident)
Kidney and liver:
  • Acute kidney failure
  • Liver failure
  • Hepatitis (may progress to cirrhosis)
Psychosocial:
  • Anorexia nervosa, bulimia
  • Postoperative depression, dysfunctional social problems
  • Psychosis
Death
Other complications (may become serious):
  • Minor wound or skin infection/scarring, deformity, loose skin
  • Urinary tract infection
  • Allergic reactions to drugs or medications
  • Vomiting or nausea/inability to eat certain foods/improper eating
  • Inflammation of the esophagus (esophagitis), acid reflux (heartburn)
  • Low sodium, potassium, or blood sugar; low blood pressure
  • Problems with the outlet of the stomach (narrowing or stretching)
  • Anemia, metabolic deficiency (iron, vitamins, minerals), temporary hair loss
  • Constipation, diarrhea, bloating, cramping, malodorous stool or gas
  • Development of gallstones or gallbladder disease
  • Stomach or outlet ulcers (peptic ulcer)
  • Staple-line disruption, weight gain, failure to lose satisfactory weight
  • Intolerance to refined sugars (dumping), with nausea, sweating, weakness
Evaluate all your options before considering Sleeve Gastrectomy
Be sure to discuss the procedure with your doctor. It’s important to understand that:

• Bariatric and metabolic surgery is not cosmetic surgery. The procedures do not involve the removal of fatty tissue by cutting or suction.
  • A decision to elect surgical treatment requires an assessment of the benefits and risks to the patient and the meticulous performance of the appropriate surgical procedure.
  • The success of bariatric and metabolic surgery is dependent on long-term lifestyle changes in diet and exercise.
* For me personally, I had to have my gall bladder removed about 3 years ago. My system for using the restroom has changed. More constipation, so I have to take fiber and use miralax daily, as well as probiotics to regulate everything. I had a colonoscopy done that showed severe constipation/obstruction so I have to just make sure I take my meds and see if that helps until my next colonoscopy. I only had pneumonia once, no bleeding, no cardiovascular issues, I had a liver issue before surgery which is not an issue now, I have no psychosocial issues such as anorexia or bulimia.

My mother is seeing someone because she isn't adjusting very well to her new life. The diet, the foods she can't eat, the exercising she has to do, the do's and the don'ts of everything, she gets depressed a lot. But she is doing fine with everything now. I call her everyday to check in and she's on her treadmill or walking outside. She's doing a lot better than she was the first two weeks out.

Every person is different. I, and my mother, got the band. I was too afraid to do anything else, and my doctor really only likes the band because it is reversible in case something should come up. I can have it removed and replaced if I want. Watch your fat, carbs and sugar intake. Anything that is even just a little out of the ordinary, talk with you doctor about. Staying in constant contact is the best thing to do. Most people just go home and that's it. But you have to keep the communication ongoing with you doctors office.

Best of luck and God bless you!

Debbie

http://www.realize.com/sleeve-gastrectomy/risks-and-complications

Back