• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hi I'm new here

Having sleeve
The sleeve Is definitely a disciplinarian. I have a stomach full radar. I know when I have no choice but to put the food away. Also keeps me eating the healthy stuff. I just can't seem to get along with shales unless they come from McDonald's. I'll work on that. Anyhow, it's not a bad choice over all. May your journey be a success.

The sleeve Is definitely a disciplinarian. I have a stomach full radar. I know when I have no choice but to put the food away. Also keeps me eating the healthy stuff. I just can't seem to get along with shales unless they come from McDonald's. I'll work on that. Anyhow, it's not a bad choice over all. May your journey be a success.
so the sleeve does work for you? I keep weighing my self I don't see a change but everyone else does,,I just heard that the sleeve you lose not as fast as the by pass so was just wondering why they make the choice maybe its health reasons.

Welcome to the both of you, you will be glad you found this site it has been a life saver for me and many others, there is so much info here from people just like you new and old, if you have a question, someone will have an answer, good luck in your journey

so the sleeve does work for you? I keep weighing my self I don't see a change but everyone else does,,I just heard that the sleeve you lose not as fast as the by pass so was just wondering why they make the choice maybe its health reasons.

Welcome to the group Pamela & Melissa :) I hope you both get comfy here and that your journey's ahead are successful!

Typically your right, sleeve patients tend to lose weight slow and steady, bypass patients tend to lose some, pause, then lose some more, and switch patients tend to lose fast and steady, as it is the most progressive of the three types. Obviously there are those that aren't typical, and some that encounter complications or lose at different rates.

As for the difference between surgery types - sleeve, bypass or switch, that's kind of a complicated answer :p Some of it is insurance based, some of it is medical necessity based, some of it is preference of the surgeon based and some of it comes down to the choice of the patient. I think it is completely awesome that all are typically successful regardless and so interesting to read about and learn from others on here!

Welcome to the group Pamela & Melissa :) I hope you both get comfy here and that your journey's ahead are successful!

Typically your right, sleeve patients tend to lose weight slow and steady, bypass patients tend to lose some, pause, then lose some more, and switch patients tend to lose fast and steady, as it is the most progressive of the three types. Obviously there are those that aren't typical, and some that encounter complications or lose at different rates.

As for the difference between surgery types - sleeve, bypass or switch, that's kind of a complicated answer :p Some of it is insurance based, some of it is medical necessity based, some of it is preference of the surgeon based and some of it comes down to the choice of the patient. I think it is completely awesome that all are typically successful regardless and so interesting to read about and learn from others on here!
thank you pixx that's good info I just didn't no if 1 was better than the other or what was the real on any of it,I don't like the idea of losing first cause if I could lose it then I wouldn't need the surgery,and of course I would gain it back,I had treatment last year September 2016 and lost a lot of weight,but then when done with the chemo I gained it back plus some, I'm trying really hard and I'm not going to give up, maybe I should go ahead now and do a straight liquid diet to lose the 17 pounds,,your very helpful thanks.

Yes, the sleeve works. Not as fast as I like but it is definitely working. All of my pants are too big. But I an not sure when to starr shopping. I expect to lose more weight over an extended time. I think all at once is wishful. Also I need to keep up with exercise to try and avoid alot of loose skin. Process sometime goes slow but for the life of me I'm glad it's at least going. :D

Yes, the sleeve works. Not as fast as I like but it is definitely working. All of my pants are too big. But I an not sure when to starr shopping. I expect to lose more weight over an extended time. I think all at once is wishful. Also I need to keep up with exercise to try and avoid alot of loose skin. Process sometime goes slow but for the life of me I'm glad it's at least going. :D

I totally get the 'when to shop' thing :( I ended up having no choice, so I got a pair of 'in between' pants I guess? I can't make myself buy any more, I'm no where close to where I want to be and I wash the heck outta those jeans! I do have some lounge pants I wear around the house that I can cinch up and have made due so far. Best problem ever! :)

Back