• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hi.. I'm new

I am new here too. I am having the sleeve in December so I am very nervous.
You're nervous because you haven't read enough about how successful and safe the procedure is. There are hundreds of people here who could tell you it's a procedure less odious than going for a dental appaointment.

I am new here too. I am having the sleeve in December so I am very nervous.
I believe it's normal to be nervous prior to surgery. I'm sure you have heard both the good and bad about the sleeve. I had the bypass and my MIL told me she knew friends that had friends that passed during/after surgery (rolling my eyes at this). Just what I wanted to hear before surgery. If when you get to the hospital are still nervous, the nurses can give you something for it. The morning of surgery, I thought I would have a panic attack. Guess what? I was calm. collective and ready! After surgery I was in my hospital room and said to myself, "I can't believe I was so nervous. This was easy. Today is the first day of the new me." Freeda985, you got this!

About 7 years ago people I knew were choosing various bariatric surgeries. They all lost a lot of weight and, at the time, my husband worked at a hospital who served some bariatric surgeons and saw complications that prevented him from supporting me in pursuing that method of weightloss. After 3 more failed attempts at reaching and maintaining a healthier weight, last year I asked some of these friends about their experiences. I was nervous until i talked to friends who had various surgeries before me. They were ALL encouraging. They mostly had lap band and gastric sleeve and encouraged me to get gastric bypass instead because they now wished they had done it. Most were advised to but said they wanted a "safer" option. They were disappointed in the results and longevity and all were glad I had already decided on gastric bypass. I had it Aug 2 of this year. I have lost over 50 lbs. now in just 3 months. I feel completely healed and even feel hunger sometimes before a meal. I do have to continue to be careful to follow the diet the dietician assigned now that I don't have the weird "pains" of the first couple months post-surgery. I was able to establish good habits because the surgery has truly allowed my body to be my partner in weight-loss instead of my enemy. Best wishes to you and when nervous, do your due diligence in education and advice, but always know that you are worth becoming a healthier version of you. You deserve to feel comfortable in your own skin.

Back