• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hi I'm new.

Just had my bypass last Monday,Feb 27. So far I've GAINED 6 lbs. Anybody know why? I haven't even been able to get 2 protein drinks in a day. I feel like I should have lost 10 lbs by now.

Just had my bypass last Monday,Feb 27. So far I've GAINED 6 lbs. Anybody know why? I haven't even been able to get 2 protein drinks in a day. I feel like I should have lost 10 lbs by now.
Hi Jerri. I've heard of some people gaining over 10lbs because of all of the fluids they pump into you in the hospital to keep you from being dehydrated. Give it a couple of weeks and you should start seeing the weight come off. Sorry you have not experienced weight loss right away.

I heard the same thing. My doctor didn't want me to weigh myself for two weeks. Is the fluid coming out is close to the amount of fluid your drinking than you are doing great. If you have not been peeing then you need to let the doctor know. Popsicles helped me a lot the first two weeks to get my fluid in.

Hi Jerri,
The weight gain post op is mostly likely from the fluid that they were giving you during the surgery and in the time following surgery. I wouldn't worry about that weight gain, in a few days you will see it disappear. This is normal post op. Also it will take a while before you can tolerate fluids. When I had my surgery 6 weeks ago for the first 5 days I couldn't eat more than half a jello cup or pudding with about 4 oz of fluids per day. Just take things slowly and do what your stomach will allow you to drink.

Thank you. I definitely need to take it slowly on the fluids. I saw my doctor today. I not only lost the 6 extra pounds, I lost 5 more. Some excited!!!

Hi Jerri. I've heard of some people gaining over 10lbs because of all of the fluids they pump into you in the hospital to keep you from being dehydrated. Give it a couple of weeks and you should start seeing the weight come off. Sorry you have not experienced weight loss right away.
I went to the doctor today and lost the extra 6 lbs plus another 5. I was doing the happy dance.

Back