• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hi-New and Nervous from Northern California

CarolElaine

Hello to the group. I have been reading many of the posts. Many very positive some not so much. To say I am a little scared is an understatement. I am still in the very beginning stages, waiting to met the surgeon for the first time, but have attended the seminar and read a whole lot on the web.

I do need this WLS with my lower back issues, etc. I want to get back to more freedom. Move more and run! I do fear the diet because like many food has become a crutch. I hope the support I have found here will help. Face to face support groops in my area are hard to find. Well nothing ventured!

CE

Your doctor may have a support group or know of one in the area. Being scared I am finding out is normal. I know i am and I understand about food being a crutch. The group here is great and can be a good way to get support.

How kind to respond so quickly. I have been torturing myself over what to do. But a recent issue with my lower back has helped me make my decision to go forward. I don't want a future hobbled with a problem I can't seem to get a handle on. I am really hoping the tool of the surgery and the program of the dieting and support (even if only online) will be the prescription for me. I think it has come at a good time in my life. It is just going willing under the knife that worries the pants off of me! I can't lie about that!

But this forum and my own family are helping me work on this. So I hope the doctor will think I am a good candidate,

HI There,

You are absolutely normal to be scared. I had my surgery 6 weeks ago and it was the hardest, but best thing I have ever done. I have been in the healthcare field for 12 years and therefore knew all the things that could go wrong (and some of them did) and I still would do it again if given the chance. Please feel free to contact me with any pre or post op questions. I will send you good thoughts and prayers while you go through this journey. Take Care

CarolElaine-Welcome to the forum. You have a life altering decision to make. Don't rush into it as it isn't for everyone. One way to get a perspective is to ask yourself how successful you can be without the surgery vs. with the surgery. Sure, there are certain risks as there are with all surgeries. There are also risks for most of us if we don't have the surgery. As for being scared, I would be concerened if you weren't. The entire journey is one big emotional rollercoaster ride, most of it good in my humble opinion. Make sure to come back to the forum to let us know how you are doing. Best wishes!

I agree about not rushing in and I believe my insurance will be making me wait six months before allowing the surgery. Some would be dissapointed but I am not. It gives me time to get my "diet" head in place and prepare myself for the notion that this will be my life from now on. The hardest thing for me now is the binge eating just knowing I might have the surgery! I really need to get my mind right and that is biggest problem. If they could put a lap band on my brain....well now you are really talking!

I do appreciate the feedback. It makes someone really new and afraid feel less so. thank you.

CarolElaine-You may have something there with a lap band for brains *LOL* Think of the possibilities besides weight loss :eek: This forum can be very helpful for you as far as answering any questions you may have or just a place to come to express your concerns, or to vent, etc. Sometimes there may be a negative comment or two but I can't recall them being directed at anyone so it's never personal. Some people have been through a lot and feel enough at home here to speak their minds and vent a little, just like a family.

Insurance requirements can vary greatly as do some surgeon's requirements especially the pre-surgical diets and weight loss requirements. It's all good in the end. You mentioned binge eating. There will be a psych evaluation that will address this in case you weren't aware of it. I'm not sure what happens in the case of binge eating but I suppose it's consuling of some sort. In addition there will be a few more medical tests and some bloodwork that will be used as a baseline and additional testing every 6 to 12 months to make sure you get adequate nutrition post surgery. Those of us who had gastric by-pass (RNY) will have to take supplements for the rest of our lives, no big deal.

Just take your time, do your research and come visit the forum whenever you feel like reading or sharing :) :)

Hi CarolElaine, I wish you lots of luck with the process. I too have low back issues, I have a 2mm disc protrusion at my L5-S1 and narrowing I also have fibromyalgia and pinched nerves in my leg/hip. Physical therapy has helped, but the weight loss will help also. I am scheduled to have my surgery on June 25, having the DS (duodenal switch). I too am nervous and scared and anxious all rolled into one. As for some support groups, there is a group I belong to called TOPS (Take off Pounds Sensibly) they are a non profit weight loss support group that has chapters nationwide as well as Canada a few other areas. If you go to their website, there is a link to find a chapter close to you. www.tops.org

Hi CarolElain, Welcome. This is a great placew for support. It is OK to be scared and nervouse, like Pat said it can be an emotional rollercoaster but in a good way. I really dont have much to add. If Eureka doesnt have a support group then the only other places I can think of is Grants Pass or Redding. We have three support groups in my area all sponsered by Southern Oregon Bariatrics Center, they are Yreka, Medford and Grants Pass. We have folks that come from Crescent City but that is a long ways. We all have taken time and seriouse thought before considering WLS and the descision did not come lightly, so while you work through the prosses you will start to feel better about your choice whether you decide to have WLS or try an alternate route. I really wasn't sure until I started learning more after the initial seminar, I just knew I had to do something and what I was doing wasn't working. Come back and let us know how your journey is going. :cool: Tom

Again thanks to all who have responded. I have read a few unsuccessful bypass experiences(on the internet) and those are a little alarming. One was the discovery that with the bypass was the possiblity of losing hair. Is this a common occurance? From what I read it was mostly due to not enough protein, so how hard is it to get the protein needed?

The other was the issue of having loose folds of skin. Are they hard to tighten up again, how much does age play a factor, anything else on the topic would help. I know the seminar I went to that at this center they reccomend no corrective surgery for at least two years. Most likely my insurance wouldn't cover it anyway.

On another note, thanks to NanaG67, I looked into TOPS and found several chapters close to me! Unreal. This wonderful internet has brought me closer to understanding some of the many ins and outs of the world of the WLS. This all helps bring closer to understanding the next part of my life I would be entering.

Last edited:
Again thanks to all who have responded. I have read a few unsuccessful bypass experiences(on the internet) some are a little alarming. Of course one was the discovery that with the bypass, was the possiblity of losing hair. Is this fairly common? If so what are the possible reasons and steps to take to help correct the issue?

The other question was about the folds of skin left after such a relatively quick loss of weight. At the seminar I attended they won't allow any cosmetic surgery for two years and most insurance companies won't cover the cost. So what does everyone do? Is there an exercise protocol?

On another note, thanks to NanaG67, I looked into TOPS and found several chapters close to me! Unreal. This wonderful internet forum has brought so much information and positive feedback. I am so glad to have found this place. I am sure I will have more questions and I will say ahead of time thanks to you who respond and are patient with the newbies.

About the hair loss, it does happen. Malabsorbtion occurs after gastric by pass and this is a contributing factor. Your body wisely uses its nourishment for "survival" and hair isn't necessary for survival *LOL* My surgeon told me it would happen and it did. I started taking an OTC supplement called Hair, Skin and Nails and my hair loss completely stopped in about 3 weeks. This supplement contains biotin, zinc and a couple of other things. The nutritionist recommended it to me but gave no guarantees. There is no guarantee that my hair loss won't reoccur later. The supplement is inexpensive and available at Costco, Sam's Club, WalMart and other places. No one has noticed my hair loss except me and probably my beautician will the next time I go for a cut. The surgeon said there are very rare occurances where hair loss is permanent but added none of his patients have experienced this.

Loose skin is inevitable and the degree varies. Most insurances will cover the tummy tuck and upper arm tuck if medically necessary. If you get rashes it's considered medically necessary because it can lead to a skin infection. There are people on this forum who can speak about loose skin much better than I can so I'm sure you will get more input. I haven't lost enough weight to have hanging skin yet but when it happens I don't plan on having anything done unless I get rashes. I have never had issues with rashes in the past under my flab folds so I hope my current hygeine practices will prevent this in the future.

Last edited:
My hair thined out a little for the firts 3 months but it thickened back up after about 6 monts, unfortunately the doctor said the gray had nothing to do with the WLS LOL:D There are supplaments you can take, the one Pat has mentioned would probably be the easiest to find. I just kept with my multi vitamins and bought the expensive shampoo and conditioner, my daughter said it would make a big difference and it did. :cool: Tom

Dear Tom,
I just wanted to give a special shout out to you Tom. I have read a few of the post in several of the threads and you are so supportive. For me I feel like someone going out on a big adventure that is life changing and filled with some big unknowns. I am the type of person that wants all the the information the good, the bad and the ugly. I am scared of surgery, especially abdominal. I have had my gall bladder removed and that was a little hairy. So I have my concerns about this procedure. But I do have very good reasons for wanting the weight loss; back problems, possible heart issues, etc.

I think it is the fear of the unknown that gets to you. This Friday is my 45 minute meeting with the surgeon. I have to drive for four hours to get there so I hope each minute is action packed! From your experience and with the time restrictions I have what would be the most important questions to ask?
....debbi:rolleyes:

Hi Debbi, Ther are so many questions, 45 minutes should be enough time to get through them, I didn't have a lot of questions just because I didn't know what to ask, and most of my pre op visits were pretty informative. I think some good question are what can I do after surgery without over doing it, I was able to go to my gyme and walk on the treadmill, what kind of signs should I watch for post op to avoid any complications or infections, will I be able to do things for myself around the house or will ther be restriction, if you are on BP or cholestorol meds talk with them about a time fram to discintinue or signs and symtoms of low BP if you don't have an in home BP cuff, that is what got me, after a week out I starte dgetting dizzy, light hheaded and felt like passing out when I stood up and it turned out my BP was really low and it was a Saturday so I just stopped taking it, I had an appointment the next week and told my doctor what had happened an dmy BP was normal with out med and has been since. Seeing how you live so far away they may want you to stay close by for a few extra days so find out if they have out patien assistance for those folks from out of the area, and if there is a prefered doctor in your area that he wants you to see if you need a doctor right away or if your primary doctor is fine. I am sure ther are more but that is all I can think of right noIt is a life changing surgery so it is OK to be concerned scared nervouse and all of the above, I know I was. Hang in there. :cool: Tom

Tom, those are great questions. I am an hour away from my surgeon but they are really good about answering questions any time I have one. I know in the packet they gave me it mentioned when to call the doctor or go to the ER and to make sure that you inform them that you recently had the bariatric surgery. There are no bariatric surgeons near us, all of them are an hour away.

More great information. Well I am now armed with my Hair, Skin, and Nails vitamins, plus my chewable vitamins, getting ready for my long drive Friday. Trying not to get too worried but I have gotten my stress tic back in my left eye.

One last comment for the day. This is just a thought that has been tumbling around in my head. Why there aren't more success stories about surgeries that took place from 5-10 years ago. I have read many problems with having weight gained back, having to redo surgeries, but not too many about the long term success of this treatment. Could this be due to the issue of not proper counseling after the fact. Helping the patient cope with issues and learning to lose the crutch of stress eating? I know for me that was and still is my problem. Well I will be hopeful. I want to open minded and seek a method to change my life to a more stress free and healthier road. One step at a time! thanks all!

CarolElaine-We do have a few members who have made posts regarding their long term success after WLS. Also, I think that people who had the surgery 5-10 years ago may not be interested in a bariatric forum this far post surgery so we don't hear from them like we do from people just starting their journies or are at least considering WLS.

A good question to ask your surgeon is how successful is this surgery long term. If I remember correctly I read the long term success rate is around 80%.

To be sure that is good news. It is nail biting going into something like lie this. and perhaps it may not be for me. But I will see the surgeon hear him and go from there. I am happy to have discovered this resource, found out about a local TOPS group in my area, and discovered that there may be a new direction I could go to in my life. Big changes and a difficult path. I hope I have the (as Louis L'amore said) sand to do this. I will keep in touch with results after Friday! Thanks.....

I'm happy that you found a TOPS chapter, they are great people. The closer I get to surgery date, the more nervous I get, but in a good way. I check this site daily for new info and I am always going over my instructions from the surgeon's office.

Back