• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hi, new to the group and have a lot of ?'s

Zughegirl

Hi everyone, I just figured out how to post an intro. Surgery date is 10/10/2022 and I will be turning 70 in November. This will be my 8th surgery this year and I am praying that this will be my last surgery in life. I have had at least 1 if not more surgeries every year for the last 15 years (at least). Mostly ortho surgeries. I am hoping that this will resolve multiple medical problems that I suspect many of us have with being obese. I tend to use sarcastic humor. I apologize if this offends anyone, so please know that this is not my intention. It is a way for me to see the glass as half full. With all that being said, I have a multitude of feelings going on at one time. I am not afraid of having surgery. There have been so many in my life that all I care about is being able to go on a hike with friends, family and my dogs. I have several questions and it would be helpful if you could share your experience.
  1. As I get looser skin, is there any moisturizer that works amazingly for face and body? My skin is dry and I want my skin to be more flexible.
  2. Can you eat beans?
  3. As a rule, I hate protein shakes. Mostly because I don't like cold drinks. That and they taste awful with a subtle chalk taste. FYI - I love vanilla bean, milk chocolate, light coffee flavors and most nuts. I am not a banana or mango shaker person unless they taste like the real thing. Are there any brand of protein supplement drink that you either make or buy and can share info.
  4. Where to purchase bariatric vitamins and what is the best fiber supplement to take? I will try to write often and keep everyone updated as well as learning all I can about this procedure. I hope for 3 things to not happen. My taste in food does not change, I can still eat spicy and I figure out a way to not get constipated. These three things are more important to me then if I loose all my hair. It grows back. The others are life changing. Hair loss is temporary. Anyhow, its late and I have to get some sleep. Working tomorrow.

you can work on building muscle and often the skin will tighten the muscle. but definitely use a moisturizer. I use Albolene, apply it before a warm shower or face wash, and then what remains rubs into my skin and the towel buffs it up.

I couldn't live without beans, but if flatulence is a problem for your body, there are some additives and treatments that make beans less gassy.

Screw protein shakes. They're a bunch of fakery. You can make your own, but make sure you READ THE LABEL on the powder you mix into your milk. Spend a day in a health food store and ignore the people who work there. You're in a library doing research, not looking for a deal.

I buy most of my vitamins and minerals at Trader Joe's. The chain drugstores are mind-boggling. But I really advise you to ake a list of the supplements you want, and then look for a reputable resource to buy them. I'm 71, 14 years out from surgery, and I can still beat up any bully on the block, because I treat my muscles and organs right.

As to constipation, this is a HUGE problem. I recommend a fiber laxative. It's the worst, most damaging thing that can happen to your preop body.

I eat anything I want to eat, but for the first year postop, I had to watch it. Fortunately I was able to do a lot of hiking and camping in the North Cascades (more spectacular than the Rockies, and I've been to both). I could live outside if I had the right gear and got rid of my 400 books. In fact, I have lived outside, when I used to have a tipi.

Last edited:
I know Trader Joe's having lived in LA and New Mexico. There are no Trader Joe's in Alaska. That's why whenever I travel to the lower 48, I always track down a Trader Joe's and fill a suitcase of goodies and supplements, nuts and other things. I have never heard of Albolene moisturizer and will see if I can find it on line. Thanks for the info. Maybe I will have to put psyllium in my food like salt. It is the protein power that I was referencing that you put into your mild. Most of the ones I have tried were awful. So sorry that I miscommunicated the question about protein drinks. I did not know that there was a difference. The brands that I have seen at Costco usually have flavors on the packaging. Plus, telling where the type of protein in the powder. I have been reading up but prefer people who have experienced this process. Thanks for answering. Have a great week.

You can tell TJ's you want them, you need them, you love them: https://www.traderjoes.com/home/contact-us/request-a-store

I've written two of these letters. Miraculously, one of the towns I recommended got a TJ's about a year later. I'll bet they got a lot of letters and phone calls from local residents.

Their reply to me was that they're always looking for new locations. But they have to hear from shoppers. Your chances are slim but you might just be surprised.

I used to drive 90 miles to get to Trader Joe's. Luckily, I moved back to Seattle where there are probably a dozen.

Adding psyllium is a GREAT idea, but it's nasty stuff. I'd put about 4 ounces of water or juice in a glass, dump in a tablespoon of psyllium, stir as fast as I could and then slug it down. But the results are totally worth it. You can get psyllium at big health food stores in capsule form too, but that might not work well with the abbreviated digestive system you have.

one more word about moisturizers: again, read the label. Most moisturizers contain a lot of crap that should never go on your skin. Use Abolene and a hot washrag on your face. I keep a jar in my shower & wipe it on after soaping off the dirt. All it is is thickened mineral oil. You could use that or baby oil. All the same base.

But I can't end without mentioning genetics. So don't be disappointed if my results don't work for you. Here's a photo of my Mom and Dad on their 50th anniversary. When I put the announcement in the newspaper, the reporter said, "50? What, did they get married in grade school?" heh heh heh...

I'm not bragging, but you can't believe the compliments I get on my skin. I can't believe them! And I also notice other people's skin and can't believe how young they are with skin that looks so old. You probably know skin is your largest organ. It's worth the time to take care of it, not for vanity, but for all the functions it performs for your bod.

I know Trader Joe's having lived in LA and New Mexico. There are no Trader Joe's in Alaska. That's why whenever I travel to the lower 48, I always track down a Trader Joe's and fill a suitcase of goodies and supplements, nuts and other things. I have never heard of Albolene moisturizer and will see if I can find it on line. Thanks for the info. Maybe I will have to put psyllium in my food like salt. It is the protein power that I was referencing that you put into your mild. Most of the ones I have tried were awful. So sorry that I miscommunicated the question about protein drinks. I did not know that there was a difference. The brands that I have seen at Costco usually have flavors on the packaging. Plus, telling where the type of protein in the powder. I have been reading up but prefer people who have experienced this process. Thanks for answering. Have a great week.
Just fyi, psyllium is very harsh on your newly healing insides after surgery. I highly recommend Benefiber, starting before surgery and continuing within a few days after surgery, only with the approval of your surgical team. Benefiber dissolves completely into a clear, non-gritty substance that mixes quite well with water or my favorite, Gatorade Zero. It does wonders to help you avoid the inevitable post-surgery constipation. No fun straining to poo after you've been through surgery.

As far as palatable protein shakes, my go to shakes are Fairlife chocolate protein shake, tastes just like chocolate milk to me (& my hubby, who drinks one daily); Premier Protein caramel protein shake (similar to a caramel milkshake); Premier Protein chocolate peanut butter shake, just like a liquid Reese cup. Luckily for me, I've had no problem with the taste of anything post-surgery, including protein shakes. I still drink one daily even more than a year since WLS just to ensure 30gms protein without much effort.

Good luck!

Hello and welcome.
  1. Loose skin is inevitable, if you work out you may be able to "fill" some of it in with muscle but there is no miracle cream.
  2. Yes, all kinds as long as you tolerate them ok.
  3. You can warm up protein shakes and have them warm. A friend of mine ONLY drinks them warm.
  4. You can purchase them just about anywhere. Including Amazon. I get mine from Amazon and Walmart.

Hi Zughegirl :) Your surgery is on my wedding anniversary, so it's bound to be good luck! ;)

1. I just asked my Dr this last week. She said much of what Kcuster83 said...some loose skin is inevitable. The older we are, the more difficult it is for our skin to rebound. Oil vs lotion? Moisturizer is moisturizer, any will do. I asked her if there's anything that she knows that Will help, beyond exercise and hydration, and she said massage...to massage my tummy, arms, etc will increase circulation, which will help some. So I massage with whatever lotion or oil I have on hand, focusing on the areas I know are likely to sag more.

2. I read so much contradictory information about foods that are ok, not ok. Once I got to the point of eating solid foods, I'd add one at a time and see how my body did. So far white rice is the only thing my body has revolted against (was craving California rolls, lol). But speaking of beans, I've been somewhat gassy since the surgery and from what I've read, it's pretty normal...just a heads up. ;)

3. After surgery I apparently developed a dairy intolerance and would break out when I had it, so I had to switch up my intake. Hopefully this won't happen to you. What I liked also changed. I used to love the Premiere Root Beer Float Shakes...now they're gross to me, lol. Who knows, maybe after the surgery you'll Like cold drinks. ;) I like the idea of warming them up, like hot cocoa. :) Another option is to drink bone broth, which I do every other morning. For powders, my nutritionist said that hydrolyzed is the best and this is the specific one she herself uses. If you lived close by, I'd let you have mine, as it's whey/dairy based. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P9IV4AS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4. For vitamins, I did a comparison between what I used to use (Pure Encapsulations), Pro Care and Bariatric Advantage. I also tried both bariatric vitamins in multiple forms, through samples. I found I didn't like the taste of the chewy/chewable multi's, too sweet for me. In the end, I went with Pro Care capsules, as the nutrients I wanted were slightly higher in them. I do take the chewy calcium, morning and night, plus a bunch of other vitamins, like fish oil, probiotic, D, B12, iron and digestive enzymes. The multi, calcium and iron I have on auto renew through Pro Care. Most of the others I buy direct through the maker or from Costco. For fiber, I have Benefiber and it does good by me. It's super fine, has no taste and you can sprinkle it on just about anything. These are just what I use. The most important thing is that you are taking your supplements, whatever the brand or store. Drink Lots of water, take some form of fiber and you should be good to "go". :D I will send lots of good juju your way in hopes you can still enjoy the taste of your favorite healthy spicy, yummy foods post op!

I smiled warmly as I read of you and Trader Joe's. My bestie lives in Hawaii, with no Trader Joe's nearby, so whenever she comes to town, Trader Joe's is a mandatory stop. She was here a couple of weeks ago and had a hard time closing her suitcase with all the stuff she bought from there, lol! :)
I'm guessing you've used psyllium before and your body does good with it? :) If you haven't, please try with caution. I used it and it stopped me up horribly! Fortunately I was volunteering at a hospital at the time and I nurse advised me on how to... unplug. :)

Hi and good luck on your upcoming surgery! I like you have had multiple surgeries most of which have been during to being hit by a car in 2018. Still have 2 to go. But my band revision to bypass has been one of the best things I have done for myself.

Excess Skin: yes I have alot and I'm not done I'm sure but my attitude is this adds to my life story along with my smile lines, frown lines and gray hair

Beans: love them, I'm 4 months post op and taking my time adding foods back bit I have not had any issues so far with the Beans I have had.

Protein Shakes: after my lap band Boost High Protein shakes were my go to. But since my bypass I have not been able to stomach them. I now make my own with Isopure low carb chocolate. It's light and 25grams of protein per serving. I add it to my coffee with my ff milk splenda and water.
I have been here and there adding a premier protein Cafe latte that I need to use up in my morning with my isopure so I've been getting about 50g starting in the morning.

Vitamins: I was cleared to take swallow vitamins so I take a One a Day multi, and chewable gummies for iron, magnesium, d3, calcium. I buy from Amazon.

Hair loss, constipation: I have had some hair thinning but I am told this will grow back. Constipation? I have the opposite, but since I have always suffered with constipation all my life I'm ok with the opposite for now lol

Hello and welcome. Loose skin is just a part of the process. I was 50 at surgery date, so I did not expect my skin to rebound as much as it does for younger people. You lose elasticity as you age. I use a good facial moisturizer and I use a creamy baby oil on my body right in the shower when my skin is still wet. I still have loose skin, but its not dry lol

I like fair life chocolate protein sizes as well. Their milk is also ultra filtered, therefore higher in protein AND lactose free.

Beans are a great source of protein. I eat them regularly and have since my puree phase. Actually refried beans were my first non liquid food post op!!

You can get vitamins anywhere. Your surgeon may have a recommended brand, which you can choose to use or not. I buy mine directly from the manufacturer, 6 months at a time for the bulk discount, since my husband also needs them.

They have many meds out now that help if you end up with constipation. Again, ask your doctor or surgeon what they recommend.

Good luck

Back