• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hi..new to the group

Kristan Long

Hi, Kristan here.. just starting the process of my surgery. Have to do a 6month prep..a little scared out of my mind...

I'm wondering if you have any suggestions on prepping my life for this change?

Welcome to the forum Kristan and thank you so much for joining! I'm not too familiar with the 6 month prep. Did you Doctor give you specific guidelines to follow? I'm sure you will find that there are a lot of really great and helpful people on here that may be able to answer your question better than I did ;) Good luck with everything!

One day at a time one moment at a time. I think your six months is the prelude to after the surgery. Sorta Like practice. If I understand you right it is the seeing the dietician, and testing...right? We will try to be here for each step just keep us posted. Be welcome, it's cool.

Welcome to the group. :) I am guessing the 6 month is the prerequisite for insurance purposes, where you'll need to have a psych eval, stress test, monthly dietician visits, class on post op care and attempt to lose weight in the process? Most of that really isn't all that difficult, just follow the plan your doc sets up for you and you should be good to go. As far as after surgery? A major part of your journey will be attitude. How positive you are regardless of the hiccups that might come along afterwards will carry you through a lot further than allowing any negativity to drag you and your health down. Support you will have, this is a great group and if you ever need encouragement you can find it here, but mostly you absolutely have to know that you'll be successful and reach your goal through even the toughest circumstances. I hope your next 6 months are smooth sailing and you get to begin your journey to a new you!

It is the 6 month prep that my insurance requires. I met dietician and have a plan...but I'm scared. Life is going to change. I know I can do it but still..

Also how did you tell work colleagues??

Life is going to change, for the better! You've got this! Being scared is normal, it is a major surgery, and a major life change, I would think if you weren't nervous and scared to be out of the ordinary. I love that you already know you can do it! That's half the battle! As far as telling work colleagues...I never did. I am an intensely private person and I didn't tell but a handful of people that I knew would be supportive. I intentionally chose not to tell people who would be negative and work is just work to me, those individuals aren't allowed into my private life. However, it really depends on your comfort level and whom you trust with the knowledge and whom you choose to tell. Best wishes!

It is the 6 month prep that my insurance requires. I met dietician and have a plan...but I'm scared. Life is going to change. I know I can do it but still..

Also how did you tell work colleagues??
I was open about it to all my friends and colleagues, most were very supportive, some were not, so now I use the ones that were not to help me keep going, I have to prove them wrong, and so far so good

Hang in there, Kristan. You are actually going through the toughest part of this process, the time leading up to your surgery. Stay busy. Use the time for research and to work with your nutritionist, and you will be ahead of the curve when your surgery is done and you start your new journey.

Hi, Kristan here.. just starting the process of my surgery. Have to do a 6month prep..a little scared out of my mind...

I'm wondering if you have any suggestions on prepping my life for this change?
OMG I'm new too. I had my surgery on Jan 29 so I am new with just one week out of surgery. My 6 month prep went really well
I lost 80 pounds, but I did exactly what they told me to do. I didn't stray once and added 20 minutes of walking everyday. You can do this
too. Just remember to get your protein drinks in and lots of water, zero tolerance or popsicles. I am having a harder time with the first week
out of surgery. I wish you the best of luck. If you have any other questions, let me know. Good luck
Stacey

Back