• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hi Ya'll

Cajun_girl

Hi Everyone, I'm 6 weeks post op (sleeve). I'm a little discouraged that the weight isn't coming off as fast as I thought it would, but I've been reading all of your great posts and see that I need more protein. I'm just looking for some support through this journey. I'm not getting a lot of support from my Dr.'s office. :( I look forward to learning a lot from you guys. Thanks in advance. -CG:D

Good morning, I'm new to the group also, just joined today :eek: . I'm 8 months post surgery and I too have trouble maintaining my protein levels (bloodwork has shown this to be true). What I do is add a scoop of protein powder to my morning smoothie, eat Greek yogurt, and snack on almonds. I hope this helps!

Hi,

I do know that everyone has a different way of metabolizing the food they eat and therefore some people will lose more slowly. I also know that if you follow your program in most cases you will eventually lose the weight. Also involved is the exercise program you follow. They tell me that muscle weighs more than fat. It is important to keep a diary so you know what you over ate, how much water you drink every day, how much you need to increase that protein, and you can add your exercise to it as well. Another trick is to measure yourself because even when you don't lose weight you will notice a change in your measurements. Sometimes it takes a bit of time for the body to catch up with the new lifestyle.

Welcome to the Forum and good luck as you continue on this journey to healthy living. Joy

Thanks for the help guys. I'll keep you posted on my progress!!! I'm feeling much more optomistic now that I have some partners on this journey. :D -CG

Karenina, I lost 20 lbs before surgery in the pre-op diet. I have only lost 13 since surgery, however it could be more by now. I only weigh once a month...so fingers crossed for more weight loss!!!:D

Karenina, I lost 20 lbs before surgery in the pre-op diet. I have only lost 13 since surgery, however it could be more by now. I only weigh once a month...so fingers crossed for more weight loss!!!:D
This forum is filled with people that were despondent over losing slowly, but lost over time. Don't give up. Congratulations on weighing only once a month--that shows a lot of resolve.

My nutritionist told me to use my vanilla ( or any other) protein powder in my coffee, as creamer to give me even more protein. I tried it, and it was really really good. (I thought I would put this out to you since I see your holding a coffee cup in your picture) ;)

This forum is filled with people that were despondent over losing slowly, but lost over time. Don't give up. Congratulations on weighing only once a month--that shows a lot of resolve.

Thanks for the support. I'm not giving up. I don't think I can at this point. LOL.

My nutritionist told me to use my vanilla ( or any other) protein powder in my coffee, as creamer to give me even more protein. I tried it, and it was really really good. (I thought I would put this out to you since I see your holding a coffee cup in your picture) ;)

Thanks for the tip...I do love my coffee.

If you are following your plan and are exercising, and plateau; you may be making a conversion of fat into muscle, which is denser. If so, you will notice your clothes becoming looser, but the scale seems stuck in one spot. Not to worry when your body is ready the weight will follow shortly.

cheers

If you are following your plan and are exercising, and plateau; you may be making a conversion of fat into muscle, which is denser. If so, you will notice your clothes becoming looser, but the scale seems stuck in one spot. Not to worry when your body is ready the weight will follow shortly.

cheers

I sure hope this is what is happening!!

Dreamz64, I will def try that protein powder in my decaf (ugh) coffee.

Cajun_girl, I am so good at keeping a daily journal of protein, carbs, calories and fluid intake during the work week. Not so much on my days off though :( I do drink 2 10oz protein drinks a day which gives me a 30g jump my daily protein requirements of 70-80g. Keep the positive attitude and I'm rooting for ya.

Hi Cajun Girl,

As you can see there is plenty of support on this board. How are your clothes fitting? This journey is about getting healthy with weight loss being the biggest indicator that we use, but I don't think it's the most important. Inches lost is far more important. As you are exercising more, you are building muscle mass, which weighs more that fat, so if you lose a handful of fat and replace it with a handful of muscle, you would actually gain weight. Because you are losing slowly, it tells me that you are building muscle and losing lots of fat. This will show up in how your clothes fit. Try measuring yourself once a month as well and compare that to the weight loss.

As long as you are following your Dr and Nutritionists plan you will lose the weight.

Frank

:cool:

Dreamz, that's a great idea to put the protein powder in coffee. An awesome way to get some extra protein in. Thanks for sharing that tip!
-Jenny

I was not a fast loser, but a year has gone by and I am down 120 pounds. The way I look at it is this is a lifelong journey. Your body needs time to adjust. Keep the protein up and try and do some exercise. The weight will come off I promise. There is also the dreaded 3 week stall and panic might set in. It will pass. Keep up the good work.

Back