• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

High blood pressure out of control after surgery

Are you having any extra stressors that could be contributing to the high BP? Were there any life changes that happened when your BP started going up? I’m sorry you’re going through this, and hope it’s resolved quickly.

Are you having any extra stressors that could be contributing to the high BP? Were there any life changes that happened when your BP started going up? I’m sorry you’re going through this, and hope it’s resolved quickly.
No new stressors . It just doesn’t make any sense. I lost the weight, became more active , doing more and no problems . Then boom I went off the chart 195/105 175/100 . Thought for sure it was lack of potassium as none in my supplements. But blood work said everything normal . Then I thought maybe since these bariatric vitamins are over 300% of daily they might be jacking me up . Stopped them for 5 days & no change either
Thanks for your concerns

This is going to sound a little backwards, but have you tried being less active? I’m also not sure how active you’re being, but maybe it’s too much for your body at once? Just a thought. Also, how’s your sodium?

Wow, that is odd. Are you going to a cardiologist? It may not even be related to the surgery so you might want to have some testing done. I hope you can find out what is going on. Good luck!

Going to cardiologist , they are stumped . Sodium fine . They had me stop all the bariatric vitamins since that was only thing new in past couple weeks .& yes take it easy . @350 lbs I took 10 mg bp pill now @ 270 and taking 40 mg. No change . Pre surgery diet and first month after I was off bp meds .
usually if something internal is wrong my sugar goes up over 500 but it’s been steady at 80 for 3 months now

Interesting. Any change in the food you've been eating, level of hydration, activity or changes to your environment during that time? That is quite a mystery, hopefully the cardiologist can help figure something out. It looks like they checked bloodwork, so I'm also assuming adrenal output and kidney function is normal, which are a couple potential causes. I'm sure there are other medical possibilities, and maybe it is something temporary that your body is dealing with that will go away. My fingers are crossed that it resolves as quickly as it appeared.

Back