• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hip surgery

Pat99

Has anyone had hip replacement surgery? I want to know how your recovery and post surgical pain was. I have heard from a few hip surgery patients that the pain they had after surgery was less than what they went through before surgery. Call me skeptical but I find this hard to believe. And I have also heard a couple of horror stories about extreme pain and physical therapy that lasted for close to a year before they could use their new hip successfully.

If you or a family member or close friend has had complete hip replacement surgery I would love to hear about the experience. This includes the good, the bad and the ugly. I also would like to know if it was laproscopic or open surgery since this will help me make up my mind on which way to go. I must also mention that I have been putting this off for 5 years and could use some motivation to get this over with. You would think that the pain I endure on a daily basis would be enough motivation but it isn't. I had a bad experience 5 years ago during an exam and ever since then I haven't done anything about it. My PCP gave me the name of a different orthopedic surgeon but I am scared to go for a consult because of my previous experience. I could really use some motivation and encouragement right now.

Pat, My husband had a total hip replacement. The pain in the hospital was bad (for some reason Morphine didn't work so well on him, but they wouldn't change to something else, I can't remember why). He had a four or five inch scar, so I don't think it was with a laporoscope.
When he got home he did fine. The physical therapist came to the house and he healed quickly. He was up and down the stairs every day. We have a lot of stairs in the house. His biggest problem was remembering not to twist his leg a certain way. I guess the ball can disconnect easily before it heals properly. He was back to work in 5 weeks.
I have had both of my knees replaced. The pain in the hospital was bad, but they keep you so doped up, I really don't remember much about it. I felt so good after I healed from the first knee, I couldn't wait to get the other one done. Really, after 10 years of limited mobility and constant pain, the few weeks of pain and physical therapy after surgery was so worth it. My legs are strong and I no longer fall like I did before I had it done. If I do trip, I have enough strength to right myself.

Karenina-Thanks for your input. How long was your husband in the hospital after surgery? And may I ask his age at the time of surgery?

Pat, He was 54 at the time of surgery, and was in the hospital for 5 days. This was in 2000, and now I'm remembering that there was only 1 doctor in my state who did the procedure with a laporoscope, and he had a 3 year waiting list and was in another city, so that wasn't an option for him. My husband was not in good health in 2000 when he had the procedure done. He had chronic pain, high blood pressure, and liver disease. So all in all I think he did really well postop.

Pat, I have tried to tell you about some of my experiences with hip surgery patients but all of my posts got lost in cyber space. I think I took too long to type the messages and got kicked off. Not sure. So the short story is that I know two people who had the arthroscopic surgery. My understanding is that not everyone qualifies for it. they take age, weight, and actual hip problems into consideration. I have been told that I don't qualify or at least didn't due to my weight and replacement won't fix my problem anyway. Most of the others I know have had few problems. I took care of many in the home situation and they for the most part have done very well. I know of two with problems of infection. And, even they have done well.

Joy

P.S. The two arthroscopic surgeries did just great, both were home after two days. One was back on the square dance floor in six weeks (would have been sooner if he had had his way) and the other was back in her garden in just a few weeks and she came home in two days after surgery. I think he was about 60 when he had his done and she was 80 when she had hers done. She is contemplating having the second one done now.

Just make sure you research your physician/surgeon.

Joy

Joy-Got you PM ad replied. Thanks! Some of my longer posts get lost too. There must be a time period built in from the time you start the post. Sometimes I type my posts using Microsoft Word then copy and paste them in the forum to avoid timing out.

My partner had her hip done on a Wednesday and was discharged on Saturday. She said that it was not pain but discomfort after the surgery and used the pain pump more to sleep in a noisy hospital. She was up and walking the night of the surgery and walked with crutches when discharged. She said it was a piece of cake, hip hurt less after surgery then before surgery walking and sitting. ONE thing that is important, you cannot sit at a 90 degree angle or less so you have to not sit straight up, but alittle slouched so the angle of the hip is "open" more than 90 degrees and this went on for about 2 or more weeks, no sitting in soft couch or soft easy chair, your knees cannot be higher than your hip! She said she wished she had done it years earlier but was afraid it would hurt and hold her back from activiies but in fact it increased her activities and she went back to work after 3 weeks.
Hope this helps!

I had 2 pins placed in my right hip in 2004 when I was 50. Two months later I had hip replacement surgery. I have a long ugly scar but I can walk so it doesn't bother me. They went into the same place the second time. I was in the hospital a couple days both times. With both I had a lot of pain but the meds helped. With the replacement, I was back playing golf in 6 weeks. They key is do the physical therapy just like it is ordered and don't try to walk with a cane too soon. Good luck to you.

Sandie-Yes, your information was very helpful. I have heard that the pain is less after surgery than before surgery but I have also heard the opposite. One of my concerns besides the pain is if I will need to go into a care facility for an extneded time for my physical therapy. Unless I am able to get up and down 3 steps and in and out of my car unassisted I won't be able to stay at home when I am discharged. I guess another option is to find a facility that can transport me back and forth to PT or have in home PT. Handicap cab service in this area is a minimum of $60 each way plus $2 per mile which is totally out of the question for me.

Karen-What did the pins do? I don't care about scars either. It looks like your recovery went well and I hope mine does too. How long after surgery did you need to stay on pain meds and what were you taking?

I would say that if it costs that much for a cab for PT then go to rehab for a week or so but my partner felt it was an easy recovery, but she was able to drive herself to the PT after home PT so maybe you could get home PT. I think the important thing is to get the thigh muscle nice and strong. You will do fine, I am sure.

Pat - doc thought my hip was hairline fracture. Turns out it was broken hence the pins and wheelchair. Recovery from the actual replacement was not horrible. Pain meds and physical therapy a must. I walked with a walker for about 3 weeks and graduated to the cane. The pain before was much worse than the pain after. it took me a while to get my gait re-aligned. Now the gait is fine except when I get really tired!

Last edited:
Karen and Sandie-Thanks for your help. It makes me feel better knowing that maybe I will have less pain immediately after surgery than what I have right now. Even with the pain I am having I keep in motion as much as possible. The more I do the more pain I have. By the middle of the day I am just about exhausted and my hip pain is at its peak but I keep going until I can barely move. I will be calling the surgeon next week to set up a consult.

I went for my surgical consult last week Monday. I have been scheduled for hip replacement surgery on 1/11/13. As usual my main concern is my pain level after surgery. I was already told there would be significant pain and let me tell you I am not very happy about that. I have a pre-surgical meeting with the surgeon this coming Monday so I will address this then. I don't understand why in this day and age that anyone should have to suffer through pain. I am not a happy camper :( :( :(

The only other thing that has not already been mentioned is the need for blood thinners after surgery. I knew someone who had her hip done and this was required for up to a year. Maybe it was just her doctor, but I remember her saying there was a risk of developing a blood clot. I don't want to scare you, but since no one else mentioned it I thought I would. Better to be informed. I think you should go for another evaluation it could be a positive experience and you might feel more ready. When I get my knees done, I will have to go to a rehab after as I live alone as well. I figure it will be safe and I will get more attention if needed.

I didn't take blood thinners but again all doctors are different. I was 50, and had leggings that pumped up and down on both legs.

I was injected with Heparin twice a day at the hospital and had the pneumatic boots as well while in hospital but going home was told just to take the childrens aspirin and that was ordered by Cardiology not Bariatric surgeon.
Patt99 I have friends and a spouse who had hip replacement due to terrible arthritis and they had very minimal pain really. Neither came home with pain meds, both were walking around on a walker and then cane and came home on cane. Both friends(not spouse of course) live a alone, are in their 60s and did not go to rehab, no need. You do have to shop ahead and cook ahead so you do not have to drive (if it is your right leg) for about 3 weeks. The one thing is sitting, you cannot have your knees higher than your new hip but that is all. I would say talk to your doc but I do not think you have a lot to worry about pain wise. IF you have a great doc at a great hospital you are all set. Go to a big teaching hospital if you ask me but have your own doc do the surgery, care is better and if any problems they are more prepared to deal with it, also more updated techniques.

Back