• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Home after surgery

Hello all!

My surgery was Thursday and I came back home today because mainly I was not getting enough water. I was on IV fluids but because of pain, I opt to sleep and not take anything so I was not getting in the minimum of 5oz an hour. And there was the walking. At least 3 times a day (but they really want 4). So I was not drinking enough and not walking like I should. Drinking was painful because I realize I sip with air. I could feel how uncomfortable and painful it was. Now that I got the hang of everything (well sipping for now) I feel good about my decision. But that second day, I cried. I really don’t think anything could have prepared me for the experience right after surgery. But my evening nurse sat with me and we chatted about what brought me to this decision. She had been thinking about it for a couple years now and was just moving to the stage where she wants to go through with it. It was kind of nice to be candid about the journey. I plan on staying on track and do what’s expected. It’s not as easy as I thought it would be because of all the prep done. But I’ll get there. Thank you

You’re on the other side now!! It’ll get better. This is not an easy process. I personally didn’t really have any pain - but that’s be cause my pain level way up there. My husband says I could still walk around carrying my head if it was cut off and only ask for a bandaid. My husband can get a paper cut and need serious medical attention - he’d want the trauma surgeons on standby and would have to be airlifted to the hospital…. :rolleyes:

It will get much better!! You’ll be up and moving and shaking that booty to all kinds of music!!!

Not everyone has an easy time of it after surgery. I had very little pain. My husband is still having slight pain and bouts of nausea occasionally, a month post op. He's also down 50lbs. It gets better every day and will continue to get better. Try to focus on the positive. You'll be feeling much better soon.

I actually had a fairly easy first 5 days. Only took liquid Tylenol at home and not even for long - maybe 2 or 3 days? Of course this wasn't my first surgery by any means, so maybe that helped. My problems didn't arise until day 6, but that's a whole other story.

Back