• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Horrible smells

Lori W

I'm almost 4 weeks post op with a gastric bypass. Let me tell you it's been rough!! Got a new development. About 4 days ago I started smelling like exhaust fumes...like real strong too. I keep asking if anyone else smells it and nobody does. I feel like I'm going nuts!! My sense of smell has been severely heightened since surgery. I can't take the smells of a lot of things now. Anybody else have any crazy smelling issues???

Yes ma'am, I am also bypass and had the same development. I wish I could tell you it goes away, but I'm only 3 months out and I still suffer from it. I walked into a feed store a few days ago and walked right back out, the smell was so overpowering I couldn't take it. I spoke with the doc office and apparently it is not a common side effect of the surgery they didn't have any great advice :( I'm holding out hope that as time marches on, I will be able to adjust and not be so affected or that it will stop being an issue altogether. In the meantime, when the family wants to go out somewhere, I put a dab of Vicks at the base of my nose to avoid smells. I figured if the CSI guys could do it (<-- yes total nerd :p) then so could I. It works, and you might try it :)

Back