• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

How Do I Get Back On Track?

I had surgery in May of 2018. I was so vigilant, following all the rules, exercising, and attending meetings. I'm not sure when it happened, but I started eating sugar and that truly was my downfall. I feel horrible and out of control. Much of my eating is at night, because I am having a hard time sleeping. My exercise is pretty much non-existant, as I am working through nerve damage in my neck. I'm scared to get on the scale. I know it's bad because I am forced to by new clothing to actually have something else to wear. I'm angry at myself, because I took a risky having surgery - I prepared, worked hard, and followed what I needed to do to get the surgery and work towards my goal. Has anyone ever done a revisionary surgery? Or what other ideas got you back on track? I am also addicted to soda, which I am trying to detox from. I appreciate any help and guidance. I'm truly SCARED! Thank you in advance.

First let me welcome you to the group, I am glad you found us. My surgery was June of 2020 and I have struggled with weight gain and sliding back into old habits. Late night eating too. Stress plays a big part as well and it is true that stress is bad for weight loss. I too got mad at myself for screwing this up. I had a rough surgery and should know better. But there's a time to let go of the anger and move on. Learn from your mistakes and to try to make them right.

Also, surgery does not cure a food addiction. I am dealing with that right now and trying to overcome it. I did so well for the first year but year two was rough for me. I know I have to get myself together and fix this as I am not able to have revision surgery since my last surgery had too many complications. But it might be something you want to consider.

For me, I went back to basics. I pretty much went back to my pre-surgery diet that I was on for several months until the "official" pre-surgery diet 2 weeks before. I drank two protein shakes, had a smaller than usual dinner but ate whatever the family had and limited snacks to fruits or veggies. I did that for a few weeks to help me get back on track. It wasn't easy and I had days of setbacks. Currently I am having only one protein shake for breakfast and a salad for lunch with some protein added. And I write down what I am eating. Right now for me it isn't all about calorie count but what I am putting into my body and keeping eye on any compulsive binge eating patterns. This past week twice I had the urge to binge late at night but fought it off. It wasn't easy but I did it. I make note of that in my notebook because it reminds me that I can do this. And how much better I feel in the morning when I fought the battle!

Good luck, you can do this!!

Hi - welcome to the group.

I had gastric bypass 1/2020. I think we all struggle to stay on track. That “track” is double sided. It’s easy to get off on either end of the track.

I think coming here and posting is half the battle. You did it once you C A N do it again. Contact your surgical team - where you had your surgery - speak to the nutritionist. They should be able to point you in the right direction on how to get back on track.

I’d also suggest that you start tracking your food. Accountability may help. Write down everything you put into your body - food and liquid. It may actually help you to see exactly what you’re eating and drinking. You may also want to add how you’re feeling - what you were doing - what time of day it is - or whatever information you can add. For me, it’s interesting for me to look back on what my mood/thoughts were when I was eating whatever.

Eat quality food - think garbage in garbage out. Fuel your body. Don’t just fill it with whatever.

You may also want to talk to a counselor/therapist that’s familiar with people who’ve had WLS. They may be able to help you pinpoint why you’re eating at night.

Stress is not a good thing. It can cause problems with moods - feelings. Everyone has issues - you took the first step and joined the group. That’s half the battle.

You can do this!

I think before you consider revision surgery, you should try to truly get yourself back on track. I know people have revision surgery or the bypass after a failed sleeve, but both surgeries are a tool. Nails don't hold things together just because you have a hammer. You have to use it!!

This shit is hard. Much harder than I thought it would be, much harder than most of us thought it would be. I agree with the ladies above. Back to basics.

*80g Protein
*64oz Water
*Measure and Track everything that goes into your mouth. E V E R Y T H I N G!
Plan your meals and snacks and stick to the plan.

No one wants to measure or track their food forever. It sucks. But for some of us, this is going to continue to be a struggle. I personally have set a weight range I am comfortable in. If I'm at the low end, I don't track, I don't measure, I don't even always plan, If I want popcorn, I eat it. When I hit the high end, that's it. The food scale, meal prep containers and food tracking app come back into play. I worked too freaking hard to get here, I FEEL too freaking good, to go back to the way I was living previously.

Hopefully your insurance will cover visits to a nutritionist. If not, you can easily go over your intake weekly and decide where you need to make adjustments. And for the love of batman, please give up the soda. It's chemical flavoring, engineered to make you want more. Even without that concern, the carbonation is SO BAD for your new stomach. Good luck to you. You can do this.

Amen to all the above advice. Please try to cheer every victory, no matter how small, as you work on getting back that awesome feeling that you had post-surgery. Try to begin substituting water for your sodas. If you need to, squirt some flavoring in some of your water. Think lemon or lime juice, sliced cukes and mint. Try to get back to 64-80 ozs of water daily. As others suggested, try drinking a protein shake or 2 daily. Sip them slowly so the protein fills you up. They might help get rid of your sweets craving. Good luck.

Nice to read all these comments. I know we are not alone ...I had my sleeve in 2016....I am having so much trouble staying on track....I do not want to keep gaining...I just seem to have a heck of a time getting back on the band wagon....and my night snacking is like one of my biggest weakness' ..I hope I can pick up some ...I have all the protein drinks, powders, etc. to follow protocol...I'm just weak I guess...I like having the buddies for support..it really helps.. and it does help to journal everything...its really a must for me to be accountable....thx for letting me throw in my two cents worth...Donna

I just joined the group. I had a sleeve in 2018 and am disgusted with myself for putting on almost 30 pounds and slipping back to my pre surgery habits. I asked my primary care doctor for a referral with a 1:1 with a dietician and have read some great suggestions to keep from slipping back. I also have a late-night snacking problem. My back has prevented me from doing much exercising but hopefully with a new Spinal Cord Simulator implant, just 3 weeks ago, I will be able to exercise more. I am happy I found this group. It helps to talk with people who are having the same problems. Thank you. Nancy

I just joined the group. I had a sleeve in 2018 and am disgusted with myself for putting on almost 30 pounds and slipping back to my pre surgery habits. I asked my primary care doctor for a referral with a 1:1 with a dietician and have read some great suggestions to keep from slipping back. I also have a late-night snacking problem. My back has prevented me from doing much exercising but hopefully with a new Spinal Cord Simulator implant, just 3 weeks ago, I will be able to exercise more. I am happy I found this group. It helps to talk with people who are having the same problems. Thank you. Nancy
Welcome to the group Nancy!

If you don't mind, may I suggest trying to fill that late night snacking/head hunger need with water. I recently increased my daily water intake from 64-80 ozs to 128 ozs. I ended up losing 5 lbs in a week's time. I know lots of extra water can disrupt your life with the extra bathroom trips, but it really jump started my weight loss and took me off of a 2 months plateau. An evening protein shake is an easy snacking substitute as well. Good luck y'all.

I had surgery in May of 2018. I was so vigilant, following all the rules, exercising, and attending meetings. I'm not sure when it happened, but I started eating sugar and that truly was my downfall. I feel horrible and out of control. Much of my eating is at night, because I am having a hard time sleeping. My exercise is pretty much non-existant, as I am working through nerve damage in my neck. I'm scared to get on the scale. I know it's bad because I am forced to by new clothing to actually have something else to wear. I'm angry at myself, because I took a risky having surgery - I prepared, worked hard, and followed what I needed to do to get the surgery and work towards my goal. Has anyone ever done a revisionary surgery? Or what other ideas got you back on track? I am also addicted to soda, which I am trying to detox from. I appreciate any help and guidance. I'm truly SCARED! Thank you in advance.

It's now November have you had success? I am just joining this group for the same reason. I'm afraid I stretched my pouch and I can't keep my brain silent. I had this surgery because I couldn't work on my brain and my stomach at the same time, however COVID hit right after surgery and I was unable to attend any support groups, and I never did deal with my food addiction. It has come back like a roaring lion.

Back