• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

How do you manage chronic pain/migraines post-op?

I second what everyone is saying about pain/inflammation. Do not underestimate the amount of pressure that you'll be taking off your body once you lose weight. As for migraines, Ubelvry is a pretty good rescue but there are many medications out there. Your doctors will work with you until you find one that works for you.
I agree with Missy on this -- it is what they switched me to for my migraines -- the only issue I have encountered that I wasn't expecting was that the pill is still kinda big. I ended up cutting it into 4 pieces to be able to take it. I have only been on it a short time before having the sleeve so hadn't really thought about the size of the pill before needing it again after surgery. Luckily I have only needed it the one time since surgery.

My oldest daughter was assigned male at birth and had migraines starting in kindergarten. She transitioned and started hormone therapy at 17. She had “outgrown” the migraines by puberty and I was concerned hormone therapy might bring them back but so far so good (she’s 19 now). I know female hormones played a huge role in my migraines and in my mother’s and grandmother’s. How she (and my sister) got so lucky I don’t know. Just goes to show that everyone is different and migraines are mysterious!

I’m so sorry about your terrible depression though. I am bipolar and go through badly depressed periods (like suicidal and self harming) but they are relatively short and followed by a period of normalcy. I sincerely hope you find something that works for you soon.

Hi Snapdragon, my daughter has bipolar disorder and also struggles with bad depression and self harm. Lately there's not much space between her episodes but I think her current environment is dragging her down. We are trying to get her a new place but right now the rental market is so difficult and scarce. She too gets the awful migraines. Do you have any tips on coping when your moods are so down or do you pretty much ride it out and in time it gets better as the mood cycles? I know this is off topic but her moods effect my moods and often I don't know what to advise her. It doesn't help with my emotional eating but that is a whole other story!

Benadryl…huh. I wonder what that is impacting? I don’t doubt that it is effective. Migraines are mysterious things. I’ve been on toperimate before and didn’t seem to help anything. I wonder if it helps on its own or only in the mix of other drugs?
I took the toperimate on its own and it worked decent for awhile. Knock many many headaches a month down to 1-2 at most. The cocktail would be added when I couldn't kick it- i would give it 4 days and then go it(usually get yelled at for waiting so long, but I hate medications). Benadryl can reduce the inflamation.

Ugh, seeing things is the worst! I get auras with my migraines so I have like 15 minutes to get in a dark space or it hits me harder. My whole mother’s side had migraines to varying degrees so I grew up knowing what it was about. I got my first one around puberty so I thought mine might go away when I transitioned and started hormone therapy. (Quick reminder, I’m trans, assigned female at birth, so I had the whole deal of female puberty.) Sadly, I was wrong about that. I don’t have a cycle anymore but I still get migraines.
The first experience I had was when I was in the middle of a work day and all of a sudden I couldn't see. My vision was like a TV channel that wouldn't come it. It was fun making it upstairs to my office.

ECT becareful with that....I have seen some horrible results

I hope you saw the list in the link I posted above. Benadryl is not a harmless drug and you shouldn't take any OTC Med unless you clear it with your doctor. Benadryl can cause dementia and I really notice how much it impaired my memory when I was using it as a sleep aid. I have a big bottle I bought years ago and I won't throw it out but I definitely won't take it unless it's an emergency. It is a contraindicated medication for people who had weight-loss surgery.

Benadryl was par
I hope you saw the list in the link I posted above. Benadryl is not a harmless drug and you shouldn't take any OTC Med unless you clear it with your doctor. Benadryl can cause dementia and I really notice how much it impaired my memory when I was using it as a sleep aid. I have a big bottle I bought years ago and I won't throw it out but I definitely won't take it unless it's an emergency. It is a contraindicated medication for people who had weight-loss surgery.

Benadryl was part of the concoction that was given to me at the doc office...pretty sure doc approved it.

Just because a doctor suggests it's okay to take a common OTC concoction doesn't mean it's safe.

I've almost died twice because of doctor mistakes. I love that old joke:

Q: what's the difference between doctors and God?
A: God doesn't think he's a doctor.

It took me decades to find a GP who knows her stuff and trusts me when I describe a problem. We sometimes disagree on things but when we do, we work together to find a working solution.

People who have WLS are barred from taking a lot of OTCs and most don't even know which ones they should avoid.

Benadryl is a dangerous drug, overused and falsely represented. It should be a last resort for a severe allergic reaction.

As i wrote in an earlier post: There are some medications that have been in very long university studies that have now then shown to cause dementia. I was taking a few of these drugs and then when I read that the study I decided to live without them, which is very hard.

• Amitriptyline (Elavil)
  • Atropine
  • Benztropine (Cogentin)
  • Chlorpheniramine (Actifed, Allergy & Congestion Relief, Chlor-Trimeton, Codeprex, Efidac-24 Chlorpheniramine, etc.)
  • Chlorpromazine (Thorazine)
  • Clomipramine (Anafranil)
  • Clozapine (Clozaril)
  • Cyclobenzaprine (Amrix, Fexmid, Flexeril)
  • Cyproheptadine (Periactin)
  • Desipramine (Norpramin)
  • Dexchlorpheniramine
  • Dicyclomine (Bentyl)
  • Diphenhydramine (Advil PM, Aleve PM, Bayer PM, Benadryl, Excedrin PM, Nytol, Simply Sleep, Sominex, Tylenol PM, Unisom, etc.)
  • Doxepin (Adapin, Silenor, Sinequan)
  • Fesoterodine (Toviaz)
  • Hydroxyzine (Atarax, Vistaril)
  • Hyoscyamine (Anaspaz, Levbid, Levsin, Levsinex, NuLev)
  • Imipramine (Tofranil)
  • Meclizine (Antivert, Bonine)
  • Nortriptyline (Pamelor)
  • Olanzapine (Zyprexa)
  • Orphenadrine (Norflex)
  • Oxybutynin (Ditropan, Oxytrol)
  • Paroxetine (Brisdelle, Paxil)
  • Perphenazine (Trilafon)
  • Prochlorperazine (Compazine)
  • Promethazine (Phenergan)
  • Protriptyline (Vivactil)
  • Pseudoephedrine HCl/Triprolidine HCl (Aprodine)
  • Scopolamine (Transderm Scop)
  • Thioridazine (Mellaril)
  • Tolterodine (Detrol)
  • Trifluoperazine (Stelazine)
  • Trimipramine (Surmo)
Perhaps the most Insidious of these medications that have been pharmaceutically controlled and then ultimately sold OTC, is Benadryl. 99% of sleep aids contains a dose of Benadryl. As shown in the list, you can find Benadryl in these products.

(Advil PM, Aleve PM, Bayer PM, Benadryl, Excedrin PM, Nytol, Simply Sleep, Sominex, Tylenol PM, Unisom, etc.) Most Unisom use Benadryl nowadays because the delivery system is different. But in the blue oval tab that I have been taking for the last 30 years when I needed it, it had doxylamine succinate, which is more effective and doesn't have any links to dementia.

I'm going to have to have surgery something in the next year to correct the problem I take a pill for I. I can really tell on the nights that I take Benadryl for sleep.

I have taken score of the medications on the list. I do not want to get dementia and I can already see it coming. I joke that I have Alzheimer's disease, but I think that is actually somewhat true. Talk to your doctor if you find any medications on the list that you take.
www.nhs.uk
Widely used class of drugs linked to dementia
"Common drugs taken by millions 'increase risk of dementia by 50%', experts warn," The Sun reports.

www.nhs.uk

I trust my doc and have worked with her for 9 years.

I am not a medication taker. I avoid it at most costs. I never took pain meds after either csection or after the sleeve. The couple of times a year I need the migraine meds I will deal with it. Sometimes benefits outweigh risk. Im not worried about dementia or other things. Its likely a part of my future anyway. I'll take the risk to get the occasional comfort from nasty migraine that leaves me not functioning.

That. Is. Frickin. Amazing.
I’ve started looking into some of the theories on systemic inflammation and there is some fascinating stuff. The theories about the physical effects are cool but what really hooked my mind was the mental health implications. I have severe, treatment resistant, debilitating depression and anxiety. When I say I have tried everything, I mean it. All the therapy, intensive hospitalization programs, and I’ve been in therapy every week for going on 15 years. I’m on SSDI because of my mental illnesses. To stay somewhat stable I’m on a cocktail of meds (some off-label) and I have resorted to both electroconvulsive therapy and Transcranial magnetic stimulation in the past when things get really bad. (ECT and TMS actually help but are not exactly something you can do continuously and have any kind of a life.) Anyway, there are some hopeful research on reduced systemic inflammation having a positive effect on mental health. It isn’t a cure. I don’t expect to suddenly be able to work again. Mental illness is too multifaceted to work like that. But any improvement would be welcomed!
You should also look into research on how much our microbiome influences our hormones and chemical signals, many of which link strongly with the brain. It is fascinating. 90% of our serotonin is made by our gut bacteria, if we aren't feeding our gut bugs well, it can alter the that level. There are many other facets to it, but the research coming how now showing how closely tied our brain is to our gut is amazing.

You should also look into research on how much our microbiome influences our hormones and chemical signals, many of which link strongly with the brain. It is fascinating. 90% of our serotonin is made by our gut bacteria, if we aren't feeding our gut bugs well, it can alter the that level. There are many other facets to it, but the research coming how now showing how closely tied our brain is to our gut is amazing.
Yes! My spouse is a Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP) and his biggest concerned with my upcoming surgery is the changes in my GI tract effecting my mental health, both in the microbiome changes and medication absorption. Thankfully he has about 15 years experience and some of his long time patients have had WLS. My PMHNP doesn’t know shit (pardon my language) about bariatric surgery so my spouse sends me with studies and such for her to read.

The first experience I had was when I was in the middle of a work day and all of a sudden I couldn't see. My vision was like a TV channel that wouldn't come it. It was fun making it upstairs to my office.

ECT becareful with that....I have seen some horrible results
I had ECT weekly for nine months. I did have some memory loss, short and long term. Some came back, some didn’t. For me, it was a risk that I was very willing to take. ECT saved my life. I firmly believe that. I was ready to take my own life because I didn’t want to suffer anymore even though my life pretty good and I had partners who loved me. I just couldn’t face the rest of my life feeling this way. Nothing was helping. ECT brought me back to myself. It gave me 2 whole years without another depressive episode and when I did have another depression, it wasn’t nearly as deep. When I was at the bottom of that hole of complete and utter despair, and the only other way out I see is dying, all the ECT risks in the world are worth it.

I had ECT weekly for nine months. I did have some memory loss, short and long term. Some came back, some didn’t. For me, it was a risk that I was very willing to take. ECT saved my life. I firmly believe that. I was ready to take my own life because I didn’t want to suffer anymore even though my life pretty good and I had partners who loved me. I just couldn’t face the rest of my life feeling this way. Nothing was helping. ECT brought me back to myself. It gave me 2 whole years without another depressive episode and when I did have another depression, it wasn’t nearly as deep. When I was at the bottom of that hole of complete and utter despair, and the only other way out I see is dying, all the ECT risks in the world are worth it.

I believe you always have to weigh the options of treatment, medication and/or surgery against the quality of life (or loss of life) if you don't take advantage of those options. I am so glad for you that ECT was helpful and as you said lifesaving. When my daughter was diagnosed with mental health issues at the age of 15 and was doing things that could cause her to lose her life, we chose to medicate her. I didn't like the side effects but I truly believed it was a life or death situation. That thinking can also apply to WLS. Yes it is risky (I was one of the ones who had life threatening complications post surgery) but in the end it probably saved my life and/or added more years to my life.

I am so glad you are here Jonah, you add so much to this group!!

I believe you always have to weigh the options of treatment, medication and/or surgery against the quality of life (or loss of life) if you don't take advantage of those options. I am so glad for you that ECT was helpful and as you said lifesaving. When my daughter was diagnosed with mental health issues at the age of 15 and was doing things that could cause her to lose her life, we chose to medicate her. I didn't like the side effects but I truly believed it was a life or death situation. That thinking can also apply to WLS. Yes it is risky (I was one of the ones who had life threatening complications post surgery) but in the end it probably saved my life and/or added more years to my life.

I am so glad you are here Jonah, you add so much to this group!!
Awww! Thank you!

Back