• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

How Long Did You Sip?

DelRae

How long after your surgery did you quit having to keep sipping your water? I am still 2 months away from surgery but I am practicing sipping, sipping, sipping while I am at work. I fill my 32 ounce bottle and try to sip 2 ounces every 15 minutes (I set a timer). I don't sip at home though and drink a 16 ounce glass before work, while getting ready, and another 16 ounces when I get home. I really don't like the sipping part, would rather just drink like normal so my question is how long after surgery can you actually go back to just drinking a glass of water, not gulping?

How long after your surgery did you quit having to keep sipping your water? I am still 2 months away from surgery but I am practicing sipping, sipping, sipping while I am at work. I fill my 32 ounce bottle and try to sip 2 ounces every 15 minutes (I set a timer). I don't sip at home though and drink a 16 ounce glass before work, while getting ready, and another 16 ounces when I get home. I really don't like the sipping part, would rather just drink like normal so my question is how long after surgery can you actually go back to just drinking a glass of water, not gulping?
I'm 2 months away from surgery too. I still try to do sipping, and I can feel it if I start drinking too fast. I'm not sure if I'm swallowing air when I do that, but it still can feel pretty uncomfortable. Maybe if I drink out of a glass/cup, I would swallow even more air. I keep my tracking notebook with me, and I write down the start & end time as I drink each 16 oz bottle. I find I take about 1.5 hours to drink.

Use a spoon. Count each one to get a sense of volume. Pretend it's soup, or pudding, or gravy. Later you can use a straw or water bottle. But using a spoon to drink water really worked for me right after surgery.
I was told straws are a no no just like carbonated drinks.. Tell me there's hope i always use a straw I only drink cold fluids massive amounts of water some iced coffee and rarely tea really that's all so no problem with giving up soda getting rid of my straws will be like quiting smoking I shake and quiver so spoons are out

I was told straws are a no no just like carbonated drinks.. Tell me there's hope i always use a straw I only drink cold fluids massive amounts of water some iced coffee and rarely tea really that's all so no problem with giving up soda getting rid of my straws will be like quiting smoking I shake and quiver so spoons are out
YOU will be able to use a straw and drink soda and eat anything you want, as I do, when you're healed. Life goes back to normal, but better!

As I have stated I'm an instant gratification kind of person I want to wake up from surgery 200 lb lighter and be able to eat and drink like a normal stomach person SO waiting a year to eat solid food and drink through a straw not going to be an easy task I will be at war with myself

As I have stated I'm an instant gratification kind of person I want to wake up from surgery 200 lb lighter and be able to eat and drink like a normal stomach person SO waiting a year to eat solid food and drink through a straw not going to be an easy task I will be at war with myself
I know what you mean! I had a couple of dreams after surgery that I was instantly skinny! If only!!!!! :D:rolleyes::D

Patience, Grasshopper.
Good things come to those who wait.
Your time will come.

And in the meantime, you may begin to appreciate each & every sweet NSV more than if they came to you all at once. After all, isn't it kinda nice to have things to look forward to along your journey? ;):)❤ Best of luck Mama!!!

I am 6 mo out from RNY and don’t have to sip anymore but definitely can’t gulp or it’s painful going down. You will just have to see how it goes for you. I only recently was able to drink plain water - for months it made me nauseous. I don’t use straws or drink carbonation or caffeine. Just my nutritionists advice - but we all get different guidelines.

Back