• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

How much is to much ?

KingOxNYC

Got a question I'm going to the gym 2 times a day 5 days a week. I use the eliptical machine no weights yet. I'm currently burning 360 or so carlories each time I go. My calorie intake for the day is around 1200 to 1300. Am I doing to much ??? I'd like to go more I do around 30-45 min when I go

I am not an expert but even when I was 300+ Lbs I would go to the gym for 45 to 60 min a day 5 days a week. My thought is as long as you are not hurting yourself you are doing fine. I still try to get 45-60 min of cardio a day in the winter 3-5 days a week and incorporate weight training in the summer months. One thing I noticed was a lot of plateaus becase I was building muscle as quick as I was losing fat so the scale was slow going at times, so make sure you take measurements or have some way of guaging your weight loss other than the scale so you dont get discouraged. One other thing more muscle will do for you is burn calories more efficiently so you may want to talk to your dietitian to see if you are getting enough calories a day, I alway follow my workout with a protien shake and some peanuts or something salty like that. Keep up the good work your doing great. :cool: Tom

I agree with Tom about following up with your nutritionist to make sure your meal plan supports your activity level. You especially need to make sure you are getting adequate protein. Based on the amount of time you work out and the amount of weight you have lost I would say you are getting more than enough exercise.

I am surprised that your surgeon has released you to do such extensive exercising since you just had your surgery on 1/31/12. I just saw my surgeon 2 days ago and was told to wait a minimum of 8 full weeks before going to the gym. Good luck and please come back to the forum to let us know how you are doing.

My doctor told me I could return to the gym 6 weeks postop
I'm assuming that every doctor and his or her programs vary.

My doctor had me off work due to the arduose duty of my work but they did let me go to the gym as long as I only walked on the treadmill or eliptical machine then after that I was returned to full duty but it took me two more weeks before I started doing anything to arduose. :cool: Tom

Anyone riding a stationary ( recombent) bike? Most days I dont have time to exercise till later in the evening and walking in the dark is not something I want to do. I am doing 5-6 miles a day, do you think that is a workable thing? I will say, I have suffered insomnia for 13 years often only getting 2-3 hours of sleep, since riding I am sleeping 8 wonderful restful hours, I don't want to compromise weight loss though. Thoughts?

Hi Cinderella, Welcome. I think it sounds fine but seeing how you just had surgery a month ago you should double check with your doctor. I think any amount of exercise you can get in every day is a good thing:D Congratulations on your weight loss your doing great! :cool: Tom

Cinderella congratulations on your weight loss, i too have a stationery bike, i ride it longer when i have it facing the tv so i get my mind off the exercise and pedal away. Glad to hear it's helping you with your sleep, and apartently it's also helping with your weight loss.
My bike doesn't have any gages to tell miles etc. I usually go by time and how long i can sit on it also use my treadmill that too in front of tv or having music on helps alot.
At the rate you're going you'll be at your goal weight sooner.
Come back and share your posts, seeing other's succeed is so uplifting to others.
Keep doing good,
take care
donna

I am curious if I may be pushing myself too hard. I was out of work for 3 weeks and would walk a little at the park every day. Now that I'm back at work I just am too pooped to get exercise in the day too. I'm not permitted to lift more than 30 pounds and strength training was specifically a NO. However, the doctor encourages as much walking as I can tollerate. I also have fibromyalgia so pain and being tired is a daily issue. How realistic is it for me to want to be hitting the gym after work? So far I have only made it on the weekends.

You need to get clearance from your surgeon before you do any sort of exercise that involves your abs. Your body has just undergone a major trauma and you need to completely heal. There is a reason why the doc says to WALK, not run, not go to the gym, etc. My lifting restriction is 20 pounds and will be at that level for another full month. You can actually do some serious harm to yourself if you over do the exercise right now so please take it easy until you have the OK from your surgeon.

Hi Mini, Pat's right. My doctor made me take a month off work because I have an arduose job and they didn't want me doing anything I shouldn't so they made me stay home. I walked on the tread mill once a day and went for walks around the block when the weather was nice but I did not start any strenght/weight training until I got cleared. Keep up the wlking as much as you can it will help you feel better. :cool: Tom

Glucosamine suppliment

Does any one know if a glucosamine suppliment is ok. Sometimes my joints hurt and are sore, but I do want keep moving

I had surgery 6 months ago and my doctor released me after the first of the year to do any weight lifting. I began circuit training about a month ago and I am enjoying it. I do that two days a week, rest of week doing the weight lifting and walking on treadmill and ellyptical doing a mile on each of them and also walking the 5 flights of stairs at work on my break at work. I sometimes wonder if I am over doing it myself.

Back