• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

How much should I confide in my pcp?

mistyd

I have started my 6 month medically supervised weight loss with my pcp. She has started me on a brutal diet right away along with 80 ounces of water per day. I'm 246 and 38.5 bmi. On this diet I will be withered down to way under my bmi after 6 months. So I'm thinking of telling my pcp my concerns about being denied insurance coverage over too much weight loss. Any thoughts?

Always tell your provider your concerns. I told the person in charge of insurance correspondence at my surgeons office that I was worried about losing too much pre op. She said the doctor will make sure that won’t happen. And he did by not having me doing the pre op liquid diet. I think your doctor is just making sure you can commit to a strict regimen since you’ll have to stick to one post op. Start slow though, and make small changes. Small changes make big results.

I have lost 51 lbs pre op so far. I expressed the same concern to my weight loss doctor. She told me that insurance goes by the weight on when you start the program.
I don't think that's true of all insurance providers. For some patients, dropping below a certain BMI can disqualify them from having surgery. You might want to check with your provider to avoid any unpleasant surprises.

I don't think that's true of all insurance providers. For some patients, dropping below a certain BMI can disqualify them from having surgery. You might want to check with your provider to avoid any unpleasant surprises.
I agree. My insurance would have denied me if I went under a certain BMI. BUT insurance requirements can differ as do doctors offices. I’d double check by calling the insurance company rather than asking the doctor.

Often times insurance allows a lower BMI if you have weight related co-morbidities.You should ask your doctor. But you should also call your insurance company and ask them what the requirements are to be eligible for weight loss surgery.

A bariatric center will make sure you stay eligible because that's where they make their money. Sadly general practitioners often want you to lose the weight "naturally". So what is always best to get the information yourself.

Often times insurance allows a lower BMI if you have weight related co-morbidities.You should ask your doctor. But you should also call your insurance company and ask them what the requirements are to be eligible for weight loss surgery.

A bariatric center will make sure you stay eligible because that's where they make their money. Sadly general practitioners often want you to lose the weight "naturally". So what is always best to get the information yourself.
I recon that's what I'll do then. Thank you.

So my paperwork is sent after I complete the 6 month diet and appts and they go by what I weigh at that point. Before the pre-op diet. So I think the safest bet is to hang around 35-36 regardless. Because I am not going to risk the time and effort only to be denied because I can "do it on my own". (hilarious) I don't trust the insurance company.

Missy has such a good way with words. I envy her that way. I have good stories sometimes but they can go on and on and on. I am glad you did your research to determine what is best for you.

Back