• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

"How much weight have you lost?"

mmitti

I worry that people will start asking me how much weight I have lost, after surgery. I don't want to tell them. I see that as someone wanting to form an opinion about me based on how many pounds I've lost; somehow it puts a layer between me and that person. Of course, I haven't lost any yet, so I haven't had to deal with it. I realize some of this is shame at how fat I am. This is something I've been pondering lately.

I worry that people will start asking me how much weight I have lost, after surgery. I don't want to tell them. I see that as someone wanting to form an opinion about me based on how many pounds I've lost; somehow it puts a layer between me and that person. Of course, I haven't lost any yet, so I haven't had to deal with it. I realize some of this is shame at how fat I am. This is something I've been pondering lately.
Thinking on this, I feel like it is my close family that asks how much I have lost. My sister has been my number one supporter and checks in with me every Sunday morning after my weigh in. But it is also because I then use her as a sounding board for what I did through the last week food and exercise wise. My coworkers and other friends never really ask. They ask how I am feeling and I get compliments on how far I have come, but that's it.

If someone does ask, don't be afraid to tell them that is too personal. Only share what you are comfortable with. In the beginning, I didn't really share how much I lost with anyone. I didn't want to admit to my highest weight or where I was at in the process. I was completely ashamed of myself and didn't feel like that was something to celebrate. I feel like I didn't get comfortable sharing it with my family until I was about 50 lbs down. Do what feels right for you. :)

Thinking on this, I feel like it is my close family that asks how much I have lost. My sister has been my number one supporter and checks in with me every Sunday morning after my weigh in. But it is also because I then use her as a sounding board for what I did through the last week food and exercise wise. My coworkers and other friends never really ask. They ask how I am feeling and I get compliments on how far I have come, but that's it.

If someone does ask, don't be afraid to tell them that is too personal. Only share what you are comfortable with. In the beginning, I didn't really share how much I lost with anyone. I didn't want to admit to my highest weight or where I was at in the process. I was completely ashamed of myself and didn't feel like that was something to celebrate. I feel like I didn't get comfortable sharing it with my family until I was about 50 lbs down. Do what feels right for you. :)
Thanks.

Most people don't know I've had surgery, just that I've lost weight. Now that it's slowed way down the past few months, the inquiries have stopped but so have the compliments. Most of that attention stopped for me at about 5 months post-op since I lost most of my weight so quickly. Now I'd love to sing from the rooftop that I've lost 123! :)

Most people don't know I've had surgery, just that I've lost weight. Now that it's slowed way down the past few months, the inquiries have stopped but so have the compliments. Most of that attention stopped for me at about 5 months post-op since I lost most of my weight so quickly. Now I'd love to sing from the rooftop that I've lost 123! :)
wow, wow.you go lady. There are people who don’t know I’ve had surgery, but they ask if I’m losing weight. I guess my pants falling of my butt it a clue something happening. LOL

Oh yea. My kids brought me so new clothes for Christmas, they fit nice, but they are not just right.
That quote I found for work. They are always talking about how there is always someone else who can do your job.
Well I’m different in so many ways. I can’t be replaced. ( I don’t think) it’s been 47 years.

It's really up to you. You can wear it a badge of shame, or as a badge of honor. It's your body; it's your life. I used to interpret "you've lost so much weight" as "OMG you were so fat before!" Or "you look so good" as "you were hideous before." But I had to realize that it was all in my head, and change my entire point of view. And it was actually watching a house restoration, of all things, that made me change my way of thinking. I remember this house in my area, was a complete dump. A complete piece of garbage. But someone bought it, and completely fixed it up. It took years, but the house became the nicest one on the block. And my first thought was "wow, that's incredible." I had complete admiration for all the hard work and effort that was put into that house. I wasn't judging it for what it was, but admiring it for what it had become.

It's really up to you. You can wear it a badge of shame, or as a badge of honor. It's your body; it's your life. I used to interpret "you've lost so much weight" as "OMG you were so fat before!" Or "you look so good" as "you were hideous before." But I had to realize that it was all in my head, and change my entire point of view. And it was actually watching a house restoration, of all things, that made me change my way of thinking. I remember this house in my area, was a complete dump. A complete piece of garbage. But someone bought it, and completely fixed it up. It took years, but the house became the nicest one on the block. And my first thought was "wow, that's incredible." I had complete admiration for all the hard work and effort that was put into that house. I wasn't judging it for what it was, but admiring it for what it had become.
Thanks. Good food for thought.

I must be at that point where you’re not losing . I weigh myself once a week on tu and this week didn’t change at all. Was losing 3 or 4 pounds a week before.
I know it stinks when that happens Bill but it's likely that your body makes up for it next week. I would have those weeks occasionally and most of the time, the following week, I'd loose more than my average amount. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

I must be at that point where you’re not losing . I weigh myself once a week on tu and this week didn’t change at all. Was losing 3 or 4 pounds a week before.

You really don't want to weigh yourself every week. It is a bad thing to do because you will think bad when you don't lose enough or the same as the week before. This is why I only weigh in when I go to the doctors

Back