• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

How to restart

Newlife2017

Hi,

I had gastric sleeve back in January 2017. I was doing good for the first few months and lost about 60lbs. Went through some things with my parents medically speaking since August and actually lost my dad in September and ever since then I haven’t had the urge to exercise or eat properly. It will be a full year next month and I’m highly disappointed in myself for not have lost more weight. Any tips on how to reboot my weigh loss?

Hi,

I had gastric sleeve back in January 2017. I was doing good for the first few months and lost about 60lbs. Went through some things with my parents medically speaking since August and actually lost my dad in September and ever since then I haven’t had the urge to exercise or eat properly. It will be a full year next month and I’m highly disappointed in myself for not have lost more weight. Any tips on how to reboot my weigh loss?

Welcome to the group :) It is so difficult losing a parent, I'm a little over a year out from losing my dad also and there are just days and times that a memory, a melody or a phrase can catch you off guard and throw things a little off kilter. You went through a difficult time right in the middle of your journey, making things such a challenge for you, as it would for anyone in the same circumstance. Maybe a change in perception can help? I read your intro here and what I got from it was that you were doing amazing, you lost 60 lbs. in 6 months with the sleeve, which is a steady loss for most, and then you had high stress and outside circumstances that put your journey on pause. Now it is time to hit the play button again :) It is a hard time of year to do that, with an influx of sweets and parties but I think you can do it. :D No need to rewind or fast forward, just get back on track of where you were before life got in the way. Refocus on yourself, get back to protein shakes, eating healthy and getting exercise. If you feel you need to 'boost' things a bit as a reset, do liquids for a week again, then slowly move back into healthy snacks and small meals. You've got this! You have come to a great group of people to help encourage you to stick with it and are ready to help anytime you need it. Again, welcome to the group, we are excited to have you here!

Welcome to the group :) It is so difficult losing a parent, I'm a little over a year out from losing my dad also and there are just days and times that a memory, a melody or a phrase can catch you off guard and throw things a little off kilter. You went through a difficult time right in the middle of your journey, making things such a challenge for you, as it would for anyone in the same circumstance. Maybe a change in perception can help? I read your intro here and what I got from it was that you were doing amazing, you lost 60 lbs. in 6 months with the sleeve, which is a steady loss for most, and then you had high stress and outside circumstances that put your journey on pause. Now it is time to hit the play button again :) It is a hard time of year to do that, with an influx of sweets and parties but I think you can do it. :D No need to rewind or fast forward, just get back on track of where you were before life got in the way. Refocus on yourself, get back to protein shakes, eating healthy and getting exercise. If you feel you need to 'boost' things a bit as a reset, do liquids for a week again, then slowly move back into healthy snacks and small meals. You've got this! You have come to a great group of people to help encourage you to stick with it and are ready to help anytime you need it. Again, welcome to the group, we are excited to have you here!
I agree. Especially with the exercise. Keep moving. Being active will help with the grieving as well. If you're slowed down gradually get back to the rythm you were on losing those pounds. Slowed or stopped is where the comfort food comes in. I have advised and o don't know if it works but to try to wean off your favorite and not have anything else. Hopefully the favorite is just one item. As you move you will minimize the time to eat. I hope this advise is sound and usueful.

Hi,

Well, going through a loss of a loved one is never easy, I'm sorry for your loss. Sometimes emotionally we just need a break, but don't forget how much better you felt when you were reaching for your goal. I know exercise has always helped me when I feel down. I'm sure if you get back to it you may see how much better you are able to cope with your loss and sadness. Also, you just feel better when your food choices line up with your goal. Take it one day at a time. One meal at a time. Just try and choose to eat better for that one meal and try not to think to far ahead. Someone once said go back to basics. The protein shakes and the meals they had you eat on your first few days out of surgery. Maybe that can help jump start you back to a healthier routine. Well, I hope this helps. Just be gentle with yourself.

Back