• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

How to tell difference between being sick and gastric bypass issues

I had a burger at lunch, pre-measured, frozen burger so I have nutritional facts. I have had them several times before with no problem. I ate around 1 p.m. Around 6'ish when I normally have dinner i was feeling a bit nauseous so I didn't eat and around 9 I threw up everything from that day. This has never happened. Is it do to the gastric bypass or could I just have a stomach virus or something.

I had a burger at lunch, pre-measured, frozen burger so I have nutritional facts. I have had them several times before with no problem. I ate around 1 p.m. Around 6'ish when I normally have dinner i was feeling a bit nauseous so I didn't eat and around 9 I threw up everything from that day. This has never happened. Is it do to the gastric bypass or could I just have a stomach virus or something.
I guess the best answer is yes, all of the above. I have "spitting up" issues sometimes if I put too much food in, not violent vomitting but just spit up like babies do (I think). I would guess that if it continues in the morning, it might be a stomach bug, but if it's over by then, it simply may be your body saying no to something it said yes to the last time. Meat seems to be the biggest, most fickle culprit. Ok 1 time, not so the next. Of course you should check with your doctor if it continues.

Impossible to answer. If you're concerned, get a medical diagnosis right away. We are peers, we have problems just like you. If something goes wrong, we can't diagnose you. It's a support group. We support you taking care of yourself and the first rule is always "Ask your doctor" when you can't figure something out immediately.

No idea how post-op you are, also, but if you're eating solid food, this is definitely not a question for bariatric surgery support group. Call your doctor.

I have experienced on one day I could eat 4 oz of oatmeal and the next day it made my stomach uncomfortable. I think it was telling me to make sure I follow the 30 min before rule and 30 min after rule. I think I may have tried to eat too soon after taking my morning meds.

Back