• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hunger vs no hunger

I hear people saying they are not hungry and have to remind themselves to eat. I am the opposite of this. I eat (lets say a scrambled egg with cheese) and less than 2 hours later I am VERY hungry. This is how my whole day is. I am eating every few hours. I am losing and know that this is a healthy way to eat but honestly, it can be inconvenient at times. My dietician said that once I can eat more (I am 3 mos out) I will stay full longer and will not need to eat as often. Just wondering if anyone has or is experiencing the same?

There is nothing wrong with being hungry or eating every few hours. My husband and I still still eat about every 3 hours, 2 & 3 years out.

Try to make a schedule and stick to it. Also, this is where a little meal prep comes in handy. Have ready to eat, healthy snacks available. This makes eating every few hours much less inconvenient, as its on hand. Since you can't eat all that much, they can be super simple and can be "on the go" foods instead of sit down with silverware type of deals. Although you should keep protein in mind. I like almonds, cashews, meat & cheese "skewers" (bite size chunks on toothpicks), turkey and Swiss on a low carb mini tortilla. Even a small protein bar.

If you are at a customer facing job and really can't eat every few hours, add a protein shake mid day. Also, if you have a jib that doesn't allow you to drink on the front line, get a note from your doctor. It is imperative that you have liquid throughout the day!! (yes, I had to do that at my job!!)

I hear people saying they are not hungry and have to remind themselves to eat. I am the opposite of this. I eat (lets say a scrambled egg with cheese) and less than 2 hours later I am VERY hungry. This is how my whole day is. I am eating every few hours. I am losing and know that this is a healthy way to eat but honestly, it can be inconvenient at times. My dietician said that once I can eat more (I am 3 mos out) I will stay full longer and will not need to eat as often. Just wondering if anyone has or is experiencing the same?
I just had my surgery on July 12th and I am experiencing hunger. I was told that this is due to changes in hormones.

I was told all along that I should shoot for 5-6 small meals per day, so I just went with it. Honestly, I like it a lot. Although sometimes my afternoon snack is just iced coffee lol

Yeah, I am 3 weeks out from my surgery and I was wondering about the hunger part. I'm the type of person even now that if I'm not hungry I don't eat, sometimes for almost an entire day but I have little tolerance for feeling very hungry. I was told that usually after surgery you don't feel as hungry, is that true?

Yeah, I am 3 weeks out from my surgery and I was wondering about the hunger part. I'm the type of person even now that if I'm not hungry I don't eat, sometimes for almost an entire day but I have little tolerance for feeling very hungry. I was told that usually after surgery you don't feel as hungry, is that true?
Not necessarily. I feel hungry but I can’t eat much at one time. I was told to eat 4 to 5 meals a day with the majority being protein. Your protein shakes count as a meal and part of your liquid.

It also depends on which surgery you have probably. I had RYGB on August 2, and have to drink every 15 mins to get enough oz of liquid and all my nutrients in a day and take care of my cute new baby pouch (that's what I decided to call it). I don't have time to be hungry bc I am always drinking. However, when I enter later phases, it will change to 3 meals with no snacks except protein shakes. I am not sure how that will work yet. Right now i just struggle with seeing food left out by the family that looks good, and I am relegated to only liquids right now.

Hello! This was such an anxiety-inducing thing for me during my first few weeks. I felt hungry all the time and could drink more than I thought I would be able to. My stomach was also constantly gurgling. The surgeon said it could be acid, and it turns out it was a huge part of it. However, there definitely was some hunger too. It was strange, specially since I was not too used to hunger before surgery (I could eat once per day, sometimes late in the evening). I felt a little scammed, to be honest. I was also afraid it would doom me to failure, but my appetite has regulated itself since then. I am still hungry a couple times per day, but it goes away as soon as I eat.

If I am lazing around, hunger appears sometimes, but, to be honest, it’s probably just boredom. Cravings are another matter altogether.
What I am trying to say is, it seems hunger is quite unique to the patient, and while some people will definitely be freed from it, some of us have to learn to manage it. It doesn’t mean we are failing or were duped. Hunger is not an enemy, and we need to eat. Constant hunger will mean you need to be very careful and deliberate with your food choices, as cravings are easy to indulge and a terrible habit to groom. I think surgery is a lifelong commitment to your body and its needs. Eating every few hours is inconvenient, but a need you will have to learn to fulfill. As inconvenient as it is, it is also self-care. Looking after yourself will sometimes mean you will have to take little breaks. Of that is the price to pay to stay healthy, I think it’s worth it.

Right now I eat several times a day or I would not be able to get in my protein for the day. I have experienced my first bout with dump syndrome. I hav been eating eggs and cheese for about a week with no problems. This morning it made me feel until noon. Four hours of feeling sick.

Hello! This was such an anxiety-inducing thing for me during my first few weeks. I felt hungry all the time and could drink more than I thought I would be able to. My stomach was also constantly gurgling. The surgeon said it could be acid, and it turns out it was a huge part of it. However, there definitely was some hunger too. It was strange, specially since I was not too used to hunger before surgery (I could eat once per day, sometimes late in the evening). I felt a little scammed, to be honest. I was also afraid it would doom me to failure, but my appetite has regulated itself since then. I am still hungry a couple times per day, but it goes away as soon as I eat.

If I am lazing around, hunger appears sometimes, but, to be honest, it’s probably just boredom. Cravings are another matter altogether.
What I am trying to say is, it seems hunger is quite unique to the patient, and while some people will definitely be freed from it, some of us have to learn to manage it. It doesn’t mean we are failing or were duped. Hunger is not an enemy, and we need to eat. Constant hunger will mean you need to be very careful and deliberate with your food choices, as cravings are easy to indulge and a terrible habit to groom. I think surgery is a lifelong commitment to your body and its needs. Eating every few hours is inconvenient, but a need you will have to learn to fulfill. As inconvenient as it is, it is also self-care. Looking after yourself will sometimes mean you will have to take little breaks. Of that is the price to pay to stay healthy, I think it’s worth it.
Well-said.

Back