• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hunger

Tori0127

Why on earth am I getting hungry?? I thought you weren't supposed to feel hunger. Only shy of 6 wks post op??

Why on earth am I getting hungry?? I thought you weren't supposed to feel hunger. Only shy of 6 wks post op??

Sure we all feel hunger BUT... after bypass surgery our tummy is just a fraction of the size it used to be. It holds just a few ounces. So eat 2 ounces of fish or 2 ounces of cottage cheese or applesauce. You will be full, your tummy will be at full capacity. If you are still hungry then it's not hunger, it would be the mind wanting to eat out of old habits. Eating at this time should be thought of as fuel for the body, nothing more. If you stretch your tummy out to eat more than you should, then you will not lose the weight and all this will be for nothing. Eating too much and eating high calorie foods are something we all need to be wary of. Another thing is if you don't eat enough protein you will feel hunger. Your body needs protein to repair and rebuild the body after surgery.

This doesn't mean that in the future you can never have some favorite high calorie foods, but just a bite or two for taste. A spoonful of ice cream not a pint. At this point in time though you should be satisfied with small amounts of healthy foods.

Good luck to you and whatever you do don't stretch your tummy. :)

Cheyenne

Not everyone "feels" hunger and then there are those who never loose their appetite "hunger pangs" feeling...

Drink lots of water during the day plus sugar free fiber tablets help as well.

Back