• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Husband eating in front of me

stub46

OK, here is the issue. How should I handle this? My husband plans to order pizza and keep eating in front of me. What do I do? What do you do ?
I have not had my surgery yet but I can see we are going to butt heads on this one.

I personally would hit him over the head with a very large fry pan! Really though, these are things we will have to deal with for the rest of our lives. The more he knows it bothers you, the more he may do it. Leave the room, leave the house, make yourself something you can eat and eat with him, or eat it in another room. It will all depend on how you handle it when others eat what you cant or shouldnt from here on out. Stay strong!

Stub-After your surgery you will not want to eat pizza especially for the first couple of months. As for how to deal with it right now and down the road when you may be able to tolerate pizza I can only say that you need to stay strong. You are going to have to deal with this sort of thing for the rest of your life. I'm thinking you will do just fine. You are going to develop new healthier eating habits after your surgery as a tool to help you overcome these types of temptations. To quote one of the members on this site who quoted someone from his support group "Nothing tastes as good as I feel"

I know I will face this too, try making your own healthy version of pizza, Take a low carb tortilla shell rub both sides with a small amount of olive oil bake until crisp watch it wont take long, then top it with pizza sauce, alfredo sauce, low fat cream cheese, vegetables grilled cheese low fat mozarella cheese, salsa the choices are endless just measure your portions and count calories, after your finished toppings bake again until cheese melts its really quite good. My hope is as we get further along this journey we will changed mindsets and want care what others eat.

hi (STUB46)
your surgery date is only 3 weeks away, please don't let him or anyone else talk you out of your dreams comming true. I read where someone wrote "it's not what we can't have" it's that we choose to not eat those foods" I know how hard it is,. I fight the battle of food daily, and haven't even got my surgery date yet but see dr. fri. when do you start a liquid diet? or maybe your dr doesn't require that. ascooke63 posted a great receipe for a pizza that would be healthy and ok for you to eat while he eats his kind. maybe he's afraid of how good you're gonna look and he is jealous already never can tell/ remember your' doing this for YOU, no pizza is worth giving up your dreams.
one day one pound at a time is all we can do. but we re "women hear us roar" we are mighty this is what I 've taught my daughter's you are woman you can do anything, even win this battle that food causes within us. keep trying that's what I'm doing. I truly hope your day goes better and that you like the recipe she posted so you can both enjoy pizza at same time.
good luck
donna

HI-
I just had my surgery this past week...my husband did the same thing. After thinking about it, I changed MY life, not his- so as long as he supports me in my decisions- I'm gonna have to learn to live with his.....and honestly- I didn't even want the pizza- far to overwhelming food for me right now....I'm working on 15 minutes to eat a jello cup - LOL

Thank you everyone

I know you are all right. I was just angry with him because I don't think he understands what I am going through. He can lose 5 pounds over night. He can eat anything and everything. worst of all he isn't fat.
I have a bunch of appointments coming this week. I have to visit the anesthetic clinic, the surgical clinic ( I think for blood work) I have an appointment with the PA to talk over my drugs and another appointment with the nutritionist to get me started on my liquid diet. I have to do that for 2 weeks. I also have to visit the hospital and my surgeon.:cool:

Husbend eating in front of me

OK, here is the issue. How should I handle this? My husband plans to order pizza and keep eating in front of me. What do I do? What do you do ?
I have not had my surgery yet but I can see we are going to butt heads on this one.
I let him have his pizza I also have pizza but at first I could only eat the topping and for a long time thats all I did eat. I can now eat a little bit of the crust. But most of the time I stick with only the topping. Good luck and remember let him have his pizza if hes like my hubby if I make a fuss about him eating somthing infront of me he seams to do it just to spite me so I don't say much. I'm doing this for me. You need to be in that mind set. I got off track and boy did the Lord let me know "I gave you this gift take care of It." thats what the message I got told me. So I am revisiting my plan and starting my food journal again. The best of luck and God Bless you. Its so worth it!!!!!!!

Stub46, I know what you are going through. I have a house full of snack eaters here and I am maybe 4 weeks from having my surgery, don't have the date set yet. Everyone eats everything, and I have to tell myself I don't need something and walk away. not everyone totally understands but they are supportive. Tonight my son in law made stew, and I had 2 small bowls, about 1/2 cup each. I am sitting here feeling so hungry but don't know what to eat, may get a yogurt. I am finding that since I started changing my eating habits more, that the things I used to eat all time make me feel sick to my stomach. like we had pizza the other day, but after eating it, I felt really sick. steaks don't even taste good anymore. I can handle protein drinks, cottage cheese and yogurts

Hang in there. The couple weeks leading up to your procedure is the hardest! I was lucky that while I was on liquids for three weeks my husband didn't eat anything in front of me. He would go downstairs to eat so I wouldn't have to smell it. Now I'm 5 weeks post-op and dont' care what he eats because I don't want it. Oddly enough, I do still like to SMELL junk food, but I don't want to eat it. I was hungry and grumpy for three weeks, then life just got so much easier. Now for the first time in my life I feel in control of what goes into my mouth. You can make it!

Thanks again

:cool: Thank you all again for your support. Things are starting to move. Had a bunch of meetings yesterday. I got instructions about hospital, drugs, and my prep. I think it's really going to happen.

:cool: Thank you all again for your support. Things are starting to move. Had a bunch of meetings yesterday. I got instructions about hospital, drugs, and my prep. I think it's really going to happen.

Hi Stub, that has got to be the cutest puppy picture I have ever seen:D. May 25th will be here before you know it. :cool: Tom

Back