• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

I’m new here

Hi! My husband and I just set a date for our gastric sleeve surgeries. I’m really excited but also nervous. I eat when feeling emotional. What will it feel like to not be able to eat like that anymore? I’m just feeling a little nervous. But, I have to do this. I weigh 250. Need to loose weight. I’m only 5” 4.

Hi! My husband and I just set a date for our gastric sleeve surgeries. I’m really excited but also nervous. I eat when feeling emotional. What will it feel like to not be able to eat like that anymore? I’m just feeling a little nervous. But, I have to do this. I weigh 250. Need to loose weight. I’m only 5” 4.
Congrats to you and your husband! My surgery date is 3/6/18. I am nervous but I so happy I found this blog.

Welcome to the group and your new journey! After a few years post op with the sleeve, if you are still an emotional eater, you can slip back into that role, stretch your new tummy and return to where you started, I suggest getting some type of control on the emotional eating during your journey so that you remain successful afterwards! Best of luck!

Welcome to the group and your new journey! After a few years post op with the sleeve, if you are still an emotional eater, you can slip back into that role, stretch your new tummy and return to where you started, I suggest getting some type of control on the emotional eating during your journey so that you remain successful afterwards! Best of luck!
Thank you! Yeah, right now I am debating back and forth between if gastric bypass or sleeve would be better for me. Dr. recommended bypass for me. Im just a little afraid of some of the side effects bypass has. I can decide up to the final day of surgery if need be. But, I think bypass might by better for me in the long run even though it seems a little more scary to me than the sleeve.

I just had gastric bypass 4 weeks ago. I haven't had any bad side effects yet. I just had to learn when my new stomach was full which was a problem at first. I ate too much a few times and paid for it but that was my own fault. Now things are much better. I had the gastric bypass because I was diabetic. Whichever surgery you have, you will lose weight. You have decided to have surgery so that's a big step. Good luck with your surgery!

Thank you! Yeah, right now I am debating back and forth between if gastric bypass or sleeve would be better for me. Dr. recommended bypass for me. Im just a little afraid of some of the side effects bypass has. I can decide up to the final day of surgery if need be. But, I think bypass might by better for me in the long run even though it seems a little more scary to me than the sleeve.

I would also recommend for you the bypass, since it is more effective at helping keep the weight off if there are any issues with food consumption. While there is still a chance of stretching the new tummy, you've still 'bypassed' the switches and some of the intestines so food flows 'through' you, not allowing it to absorb like the sleeve. It is also quite effective at reminding you that you've eaten too quickly, too much, or that it basically doesn't like what your eating, causing nausea or dumping syndrome. If you learn to listen to your tummy you can be quite successful with the bypass! Everyone is different in their health, so there is no way to determine what your side effects from the surgery will be but they typically don't last longer than a few months and are worth it! I had severe nausea kind of off the charts for about 5 months and it still comes and goes but in the end I still feel it was worth it! Best of luck in your decision!

I just had gastric bypass 4 weeks ago. I haven't had any bad side effects yet. I just had to learn when my new stomach was full which was a problem at first. I ate too much a few times and paid for it but that was my own fault. Now things are much better. I had the gastric bypass because I was diabetic. Whichever surgery you have, you will lose weight. You have decided to have surgery so that's a big step. Good luck with your surgery!
Thank you!

I would also recommend for you the bypass, since it is more effective at helping keep the weight off if there are any issues with food consumption. While there is still a chance of stretching the new tummy, you've still 'bypassed' the switches and some of the intestines so food flows 'through' you, not allowing it to absorb like the sleeve. It is also quite effective at reminding you that you've eaten too quickly, too much, or that it basically doesn't like what your eating, causing nausea or dumping syndrome. If you learn to listen to your tummy you can be quite successful with the bypass! Everyone is different in their health, so there is no way to determine what your side effects from the surgery will be but they typically don't last longer than a few months and are worth it! I had severe nausea kind of off the charts for about 5 months and it still comes and goes but in the end I still feel it was worth it! Best of luck in your decision!
Thank you!

Can you tell me why your doctor recommended a malabsorption surgery (bypass) as apposed to just restrictive (sleeve)? Was there a medical reason?

I ask - because - At 250, you dont have a lot to loose to get to a normal weight. Restriction alone seems like it might be able to help if you address your emotional eating w/ activities and counseling. You can switch to a malabsorption surgery later if necessary. Sleeve surgery has less risks and you might have less dependency on things like vitamins long term.

She said that she recommends the bypass because my BMI is about 46. Also I do have PCOS which gives me a higher risk of diabetes. I am doing counseling as well.

She said that she recommends the bypass because my BMI is about 46. Also I do have PCOS which gives me a higher risk of diabetes. I am doing counseling as well.
I went with bypass and glad I did, I started out at 270 and had alot of health problems which almost all went away the day of surgery. I take my vitamins and calcium, I get a b12 shot every couple of months, all my blood work comes back good, no malnutrition at this point and it has been a little over a year now, just eat what they tell you and take your vitamins and you will do fine, plus you don't normally get another shot at this kind of surgery so do it right the first time, good luck

Can you tell me why your doctor recommended a malabsorption surgery (bypass) as apposed to just restrictive (sleeve)? Was there a medical reason?

I ask - because - At 250, you dont have a lot to loose to get to a normal weight. Restriction alone seems like it might be able to help if you address your emotional eating w/ activities and counseling. You can switch to a malabsorption surgery later if necessary. Sleeve surgery has less risks and you might have less dependency on things like vitamins long term.
Gastric bypass was also recommended for me especially since I have less weight to lose. I was told that I would have a better chance to lose the weight I need to with the gastric bypass than the sleeve. I don't have diabetes but I have sleep apnea and hypertension.

Thank you! I am very excited!

I went with bypass and glad I did, I started out at 270 and had alot of health problems which almost all went away the day of surgery. I take my vitamins and calcium, I get a b12 shot every couple of months, all my blood work comes back good, no malnutrition at this point and it has been a little over a year now, just eat what they tell you and take your vitamins and you will do fine, plus you don't normally get another shot at this kind of surgery so do it right the first time, good luck
Yeah, I am thinking the bypass will be best for me. I agree, do it right the first time! Thank you!

Thank you! I am excited and anxious to get it done!

Back