• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

I’m New

Barb M

Hello everyone. I have not had surgery yet. I am in the prep part needing to lose an additional 6.2lbs before taking the next step which would be Gastric Sleeve surgery. I am starting to have second thoughts about having the surgery which I am sure is normal. I wonder if I can do this or if I will backslide and make things worse but I am tired of living like this and know that if I want to be around for my grandkids, I need to do something. Words of encouragement are welcome!

Hi Barb welcome to the group! I am two and a half months post op. I had the bypass. I had second thoughts right up until surgery. I was nervous I was making a mistake and that I wasn't going to be a success. I've had weight problems my whole life and have failed at every diet. I'm still figuring out this new lifestyle. But little by little I'm making it. I've lost 50+ pounds so far. I still struggle with getting enough protein and water in my diet which I found out helps shed the weight quicker. It's totally ok to be nervous about this it's a huge decision you're making. If you weren't having second thoughts about it then I'd be shocked. I can't speak for everyone on this site but I'm guessing a lot of them shared your fear! Talk to people ask tons of questions.

Welcome Barb! Congrats on your decision! You can totally do this, and you will be awesome at it. :D I agree with Lori! Second thoughts are normal, figuring out the new lifestyle is a challenge, and the struggle is real! All of that aside, the health benefits are worth it. I've read so many stories on here of people that no longer have to take medications for ailments that were present in their lives due to the obesity. Which is completely amazing! People here are moving and shaking and enjoying life and getting to do things they never even imagined they could do before their surgeries. If someone told me 6 months ago that I would be working out 2 hours a day, at least 5 days a week at a gym I would have laughed, out loud! I could barely walk around the grocery store without getting winded at that time. :oops: This group is full of awesome people who are all working together to help encourage and support each other every step of the way. You will find support and encouragement here and hopefully any answers your seeking throughout your journey! Know that we are your own little cheering section as you venture forward! Best wishes!

Barb! Hello! Lifestyle changes are major decisions. LIke having kids. It's a big step but the rewards are awesome. If you are nervous that's perfectly fine. Ask questions and we will do our best to ease your fears. I was being wheeled to surgery with second thoughts. I am losing the weight, no regrets. I had the sleeve on Aug 21st. I will be happy to share the journey with you. Welcome.

Barb, what you are feeling is completely normal. Until the moment I was put under I was second guessing my decision. Now, almost a year later, I am so thankful I did it. My life is so much better.

Back