• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

I am confused

charto05

Hello my name is Christine and I have chosen to have the sleeve done but my insurance says I have to have 2 visits before I can have my surgery. Also eat more protein but not sure if I need to loose weight because my bmi is only 37 and I have type 2 diabetes. I walk 2 miles a day and she told me to keep doing that and to start chewing my food more and no drinking while eating. I was in shock that I even qualified so everything else just went in one ear and out the other. Any answers would be appericated.

Hi Christine,

Your insurance is telling you to eat more protein and walk more? That's weird but, sometimes before surgery some doctors will have the patient lose a certain amount of weight just to see if they are able to be on the diet successfully before surgery. It is to make sure you stick to it basically. I would talk with your doctor and verify everything once again that way you don't seem as though you don't need surgery, you know what I mean? Because chewing your food, eating less, starting the bariatric diet are all things you normally do before surgery to get your body acquainted with the type of change it will have after surgery. I was on that diet for about 6 months before my surgery. That was only because I had issues with pizza and Chinese foods, and it took longer for me to stop eating those foods before surgery.

I hope something I wrote actually helps a little. If not, talk with your doctor and get some clarification.

Be blessed,

Debbie

Thank you.Your reply did help.I have been watching my weight but can not find one scale that actually says the same as another one.I have 2 visits before they can do my surgery and we are suppose to discuss my diet then.

Back