• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

I am scared

mrswest

I am have my surgery for the sleeve on November 26, 2012. The closer I am to this date the more scared I become. It makes my have anxiety because I am scared of the pain. is the this normal, is the pain very bad and what is the down time for the sleeve. :eek:

Hi Mrs West,

Being scared is a normal part of the pre-surgery waiting period. We all go through that, even those who didn't admit it to themselves. For me, whenever fear, doubt or cravings kicked in, I just looked at a photo of my 5 year old grandson and remembered why I started this journey in the first place. I want to be around to see him grow up, I want to be able to get on the floor and wrestle with him and play football. Find your motivation and keep something with you that reminds you of that. Use it to help overcome the fear.

As for pain, that is different for each individual. For me, there was pain after surgery, but I was doped up so it passed quickly. After that, while I was in the hospital, I had the pump that I could dose myself if I needed it. I only used it just before getting up the first day and a half after surgery. Once they released me, I had a prescription for pain meds, that is still sitting on the shelf, unused. Others here will report different results. I can say that all of us focused on what the goal was and everyone got past the pain.

You'll do great, but keep asking questions on here and if you need it, just ask for virtual hugs, we have plenty of those. (((hug)))

Hi MrsWest,

I had a pain pump for the first day int he hospital, then they gave me crushed dilaudid every three hours which really kept the pain under control. At home they gave me a liquid medication which I did not like the taste of so I took liquid tylenol and that worked fine. Everyone is different but they do really try to control the pain. The more you get up and walk the easier it will be. To be scared of any surgery is normal, it's not one of the things we do routinely so the whole thing is new and different. The staff will take good care of you. I don't know if they do pre op teaching but my center did and it really helped to know exactly what would happen , when it would happen, and what to expect.

Good Luck, keep us posted.

Joy

Mrswest-Welcome and congratulations on your decision to have WLS. I am this forums biggest coward when it come to pain. If you were to read my earliest pre-surgery posts you would see most of them were asking questions about pain and pain control after surgery so I can relate to your fear. I was on a pain pump for the first 24 hours after surgery. It allowed me to self admisnister a narcotic pain med every 15 minutes. Since I didn't sleep I was pushing the buttom every 15 minutes around the clock *LOL* I ran out of meds twice but they were promptly refilled. Because I kept pressing the button the pain never had a chance to rear its ugly head and I was pretty comfortable. The most pain I ever had in the hospital was when I would step on my catheter line while walking *LOL* You will be given pain meds to take home and if you find they aren't working as well as you would like all you have to do is call the surgeon and ask for something else.

The anxiety and other emotions you are feeling are perfectly normal and most of us have them, sometimes even after surgery. This is the emotional coaster ride part of the weight loss journey you are preparing to take. It keeps us grounded and in touch with our emotions. It's a good thing.

Make sure to come back to the forum to let us know how you are doing.

I had the gastic sleeve surgery and had basically no pain what so ever. They did have me on a morphine drip when I came out of recovery, and I can honestly say I only pushed the button 2 times. I actually asked the nurse to move it out of the way, since I wasn't using it and I had enough tubes to manuever as it was. I will say, I was more nauseous than I had ever been in my life for the first 24 hours. The nurse had brought in an ice bucket full of G2 and advised I needed to "sip" "sip" "sip". Everytime I sipped, I spit it right back up. The Dr. came in that afternoon and told me as long as I was getting my fluids through my IV I did not need to worry about the sipping. So I didn't push it and by the next afternoon was able to start keeping little sips down. I was told I could have had a "bariatric" cocktail that would have stopped the nausea. Only I was past the bad nausea by the time they told me. So, I guess what I am trying to say is that for me, the nausea was the worst part, and had I known about the cocktail sooner, I might not have had that as bad. A friend of mine had the same surgery 1 month before I did and she had little to no pain as well.

Hi my surgery is also November 26th, I sent you a friend request so may we can keep up with each other and help with each others questions and fears. I'm more worried about getting through this two liquid diet than the pain after right now. according to my surgeon its just one night in the hospital and and back to nor mal activity in two weeks, We will see!

Hi MrsWest, I am having a sleeve on Dec 4th pending insurance approval, which should be no problem. I am in the same boat that you are, I am afraid of pain. I know that the nursing staff is wonderful and explains everything as you are recovering and they will assure you that what you are feeling is or is not normal. That is what they are for. They have seen many of these and they know what happens in most people. Pain is totally subjective to each individual so it is difficult to say how much pain any one person will have post op. Some complain more of nausea while others complain of shoulder pain from the gas that is used during surgery. At any rate, They are trained to help us{YEAH} coz I am a bit of a chicken and pain is NOT my friend, however, I was told in a psych class once that pain tells us that we are alive, so that makes it a good thing. Keep us posted, we want to hear from you and how you are doing. Continue to read and participate in these rooms, you will learn so much from others that have gone there before us ;)

My Dear Mrswest. I'm having surgery, Nov. 21,2012. I totally understand the scared part. I'm having RNY. Everyone close to me just doesn't understand how we have fear about a lot of things in this process. They try to comfort me but, I still think toooooo much about all of it? Getting sick, sagging skin. I'm hear anytime you would like to vent. We'll do this together.

Hi MrsWest,

It's scary of the unknown when you've been comfortable in your present body for so long. It's a sense of realization that occurs you're not going to be able to eat the way you were accustomed to for so long. The anxiety stems from the reality that this is a life-changing procedure. It's all positive and good, and I'll tell you why. The fear will subside as soon as your procedure is over. It's the anticipation of the procedure that makes you think about every aspect of your future. Once the procedure is completed, and you're well on your way towards recovery, each day from that point forward, is a day to better yourself and well-being. Each day as the pounds begin to come off, and you can move around better, and have the energy to get out and live your life, a feeling of accomplishment comes into play, and you're gradually becoming the person you've always knew was inside, but hasn't emerged in quite some time.

It's an exciting journey and a wonderful experience to be able to look at your progress, and feel proud that you will achieve your goal! Not only a personal goal, but the mind, body, and spirit goal. All three will come together to create a healthy and happy person, who's day has come to give it all you've got! The rewards are tremendous and the surgery will be a faint distant memory. You'll be in the now of I'm just living and loving life! My dreams have come true! There's always light at the end of the tunnel.

One day at a time, and each day will be a better day! You'll do outstanding!

Linney, what a beautiful and positive way of expressing our journey in the WLS. Thank you for sharing those words of encouragement. I will look back from time to time to read what you have written when that doubt starts to creep in my mind.

MrsWest, please take care of yourself and reflect on how wonderful you are going to feel. Get your positive hat on and do something that you really enjoy to get your mind off the surgery date. You have come so far now, don't turn your back. Be your own best friend. What would you say to your best friend who is feeling like you are now. Repeat that to yourself. I know that is a hard thing for me to learn is to be my own best friend. Take care of "YOU" my friend.

Hi Mrs. West!

Congrats on your upcoming surgery! I think the angst I had before my surgery was worse than my surgery. I feared the vomiting more than the pain and can say I have had no vomiting and had minimal pain. Like the others I had the pump in the hospital. I came home the next day and didn't need any pain meds.

Good luck to you on your new journey!

MrsWest, Linney said it about as well as it can be said. Just remember to find your motivation and use it to fight off the fear. As 1stepatatime said, be your own best friend. If you still need encouragement, just let us know, we are here.

The surgery is the easy part....its the dedication to a new lifestyle afterwards that can be scary! Just remember everything you read is just someones opinion or experience...you will have your own. I personally have had no pain whatsoever. I actually have to remind myself that I had surgery! It was a little difficult for the first 3 to 5 days getting around...but other than that, I followed everything my surgeon advised me and I have had no problems at all. I am now heading down my 4th month after Gastric Bypass surgery and feel great! Protein & Water are musts! I do not consider myself to be on a "diet" I am making better choices and eating healthy! You can do it...stay focused on why you are having/had the surgery...be mentally prepared as well...you'll get through it!

Back