• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

i am so cold!

pjb

I am 5 weeks out and the last couple of weeks I have been feeling so cold and chilled. My hands and feet are ice cold. If I am not having a hot flash, then I am shivering. This is so unlike me. I am always way too warm, sweaty even. Lately I have been going to bed earlier just to get under my electric blanket! Is anyone else cold?

I am cold all the time. Checked my thyroid, but it is okay. I took my tempature to see what it was for a week in the morning before I got up. It averaged from 95.5- 96.5. But the doc's tell me my thyroid is okay. This despite the fact I was on medication for thyroid in the past. I don't have any hot flashes. I wish sometimes I did. It might be our bodies are adjusting. Just a guess. Ask your surgeon the next time you see him. In the meantime layer up.

It could be your thyroid. I was told to take your temp everyday for 2 weeks before getting out of bed when you first wake up. If its under 98* then get it checked. Sometimes regular blood work doesn't show it. I was told it wasn't my thyroid and 2 weeks later an endocrinologist did a test stimulating my pituitary gland and it was hypothyroidism. I later found out I have Hashimoto's.

I tend to get cold when I lose weight, so it could be that too. If you have other symptoms, I'd get it checked. pjb, didn't you say you we're angry lately, it could be thyroid related. Can't hurt to ask? Good luck with it!

I am cold all the time. Checked my thyroid, but it is okay. I took my tempature to see what it was for a week in the morning before I got up. It averaged from 95.5- 96.5. But the doc's tell me my thyroid is okay. This despite the fact I was on medication for thyroid in the past. .

Kim,

Your morning temperature tests indicate without doubt you are having thyroid issues. See another doctor, preferably an endocrinologist and preferably someone with a special interest in thyroid issues and/or the work of Dr. Broda Barnes.

Please don't wait. You need to do this for yourself now.

hello pjb,
i am 2 weeks post op and yes i am cold. but i just wear fleece bath robe,hospital socks,at home and i live in florida and i wear long underwear to sleep. however, i wouldnt give up anything that i just did. it is all worth it.

Hi!
Freezing here too! lol Having to wear fleece PJ's and socks to bed, with extra blankets. Complete opposite for me. Going to see endocrinologist to double check thyroid, even though levels were in "normal" range, my doctor said people feel better when TSH is 2 or less. I did wonder about it, because I've seen lots of posts on here saying that it's a sign of "starvation mode", which slows weight loss down. Does anyone know anything about this?

So glad to hear that someone else is freezing! lol I am 2 weeks out from gastric sleeve surgery about 3 days after surgery I started with cold hands and feet. Then the rest of my body got in on the act. I used to always be hot now I freeze! I am wearing fleece and heavy socks too! All my bloodwork is fine. All I can figure is that by losing the body mass is what causes it!

I'm always cold now. I'm 11 months out and I'm cold all the time. I never use to be! I guess it's just from the wls...

I am 5 weeks out and the last couple of weeks I have been feeling so cold and chilled. My hands and feet are ice cold. If I am not having a hot flash, then I am shivering. This is so unlike me. I am always way too warm, sweaty even. Lately I have been going to bed earlier just to get under my electric blanket! Is anyone else cold?

Yes, you are not alone, but everyone is different.
You should go to see your doctor.
Good Luck

Since I started losing weight, I too began experiencing this odd feeling of cold. Lol. I have NEVER been a person who gets cold. Even in the middle of a Colorado winter, I'd be the crazy person with just a sweater on. Now, in Georgia, I freeze inside with a sweat shirt on.

Since I started losing weight, I too began experiencing this odd feeling of cold. Lol. I have NEVER been a person who gets cold. Even in the middle of a Colorado winter, I'd be the crazy person with just a sweater on. Now, in Georgia, I freeze inside with a sweat shirt on.
Tell your doctor about it, he or she might want to check your iron levels and your hemoglobin levels. There only one way to find out and that going to see your doctor. Good luck

Back