• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

I am so hungry

Well, what you are probably feeling is not "hunger pain" but "nerves, gas, and a healing response." However, I am not medical doctor. For many of us eating is a coping mechanism. Your mind is probably not understanding that food is currently not an option.
Counseling might help you find other healthier methods to cope with your underlying issues. This is a great place to vent, learn, and start the healing process. Welcome

I had sleeve surgery almost 2 weeks ago and I am craving food so badly. I want to grab anything I see and ram it in my mouth. It makes sense since I haven’t taken a bite of anything “good” in some time. Any suggestions on how to get through this phase?
Most people have to white-knuckle their way through these old cycles because they've been operating in your brain for most of your life. They are like a tattoo that you can't have removed. You can fight them with positive thoughts, and affirmations. Think how strong your cravings are. That's how strong your affirmations have to be.

Search for affirmations within this group and you'll find a lot of relief. And I cannot recommend this book too highly. I've recommended it here dozens of times and used it myself. It changed my life.

You don' t even have to read into it very far before you start to relate to it. And you don't even have to buy it. Go here and you can borrow it. The only diet there is : Ray, Sondra : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Also, don't think of it as a physical thing. You've had surgery, your stomach has become a pouch, and you should keep a food journal that you create IN ADVANCE of your daily diet. I have blank journals I've kept track of everything. In addition to journaling, I write down my foods, their caloric content, their nutritional values, and I use a scale and measuring devices like cups and spoons.

Those little tips you've heard over years like "put your fork down between bites" and "chew each bite 30 times before swallowing" are also true and helpful. But behind all that, you have to have the motivation and that is the most difficult thing to acquire. That's where keeping a journal really comes in handy because you can just write down your darkest thoughts and your revised messages. Turn negatives into positives. It sounds silly, but in your head maybe you're thinking, "I'm so ugly." You can stop that thought immediately by saying the opposite, "I'm so beautiful." Even if you don't believe it, repetition will make it dominant and eventually, if the "ugly" thought comes up, the "beautiful" thought will kick in.

You're sleeping with the enemy. But you can refuse to give in to the enemy's commands. It takes work, it takes time. But it works.

I love that! I am sleeping with the enemy! Well said. I appreciate all of your replies. It helps to shake me out of my food eating fantasies and face the truth. I am certainly not fantasizing about grilled chicken. It’s McDonalds and Funyons. I have to look at why I am giving so much power to foods that are not good for the human body. I am amazed at how my body is adjusting to this surgery. My body is taking care of me. I need to respect that and take care of my body.

Most people have to white-knuckle their way through these old cycles because they've been operating in your brain for most of your life. They are like a tattoo that you can't have removed. You can fight them with positive thoughts, and affirmations. Think how strong your cravings are. That's how strong your affirmations have to be.

Search for affirmations within this group and you'll find a lot of relief. And I cannot recommend this book too highly. I've recommended it here dozens of times and used it myself. It changed my life.

View attachment 5582
You don' t even have to read into it very far before you start to relate to it. And you don't even have to buy it. Go here and you can borrow it. The only diet there is : Ray, Sondra : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
I will check this out!

I had sleeve surgery almost 2 weeks ago and I am craving food so badly. I want to grab anything I see and ram it in my mouth. It makes sense since I haven’t taken a bite of anything “good” in some time. Any suggestions on how to get through this phase?
I was hungry for the first month after surgery, until I was able to start eating foods again. Even though your stomach is small, your body still wants the nurishment from food. There is more at play than just the size of the stomach. Your body may be trying to carry 200 or 300 pounds around on only 500 calories a day. There are other hormones at play, and your body knows it's starving.

I don’t know if you are eating a lot but if you do it will make you very uncomfortable and make you void your stomach. A few times hugging the toilet while you void your stomach will discourage you from having cravings. It’s tough to learn that

Try your best to be mindful of what you are eating. Our stomachs are now much smaller so we must consume foods offering the best bang for your nutrition buck. It could be your mind playing tricks on you. We have visual cues bombarding us of food on a constant basis, and the mind may be impacting your desire to "shove any food" in. And what Mimi wrote makes an awful lot of sense to me.

Back