• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

I give up....

ck9779

Im so upset all the pain and time missed from work. 5 weeks without solid foods and for what? Not a damn thing. Surgery was 3 weeks ago and I see people that had surgery the same day saying "yay im down 10, 15, 20 pounds since surgery". What do I have to say "oh im up 3 freaking pounds since surgery" I didn't go through all this crap to freakin gain weight I can do that on my own.

Im so frustrated and in tears. I've done everything I am supposed to and put in the work for nothing. I already feel like a big fat failure.

Im so upset all the pain and time missed from work. 5 weeks without solid foods and for what? Not a damn thing. Surgery was 3 weeks ago and I see people that had surgery the same day saying "yay im down 10, 15, 20 pounds since surgery". What do I have to say "oh im up 3 freaking pounds since surgery" I didn't go through all this crap to freakin gain weight I can do that on my own.

Im so frustrated and in tears. I've done everything I am supposed to and put in the work for nothing. I already feel like a big fat failure.

You know it takes time.

You know everyone else is different.

Look over what you are doing.

I hope you are not consuming more than 800-1000 calories per day right now. I hope you are doing your proteins first and getting your required 60 grams each day. I hope you are taking your chewable vitamins.

I hope you are finally able to take level walks.

I hope you are journaling everything that you put into your mouth and seeing what it all adds up to.

I have been in a weight plateau now for a week almost.

This morning I got up and the scale was down 4 pounds just like that.

Talk to your doctor. Get to a live support group.

I give up are NOT the words that lead to success.

So sorry you are having a hard time. Have you tried emailing your nutritionist a list of what you are eating. I found the hard way that nuts pack a punch with calories and were keeping me from losing early on. Sometimes it is something so simple that causes havoc. I hope you can find your positive can do attitude soon. Also, try the calorie count app it will tell you exactly how much protein and carbs you consume in a day. One last thought check that your body isn't retaining water as just after surgery a woman's body will change schedule. It took me around 5 weeks to start seeing progress but when I did the numbers dropped. I know this is hard but you can do this just hang in there.

My doc wants me at 1000 cals a day. Right now it feels like breakfast consists of vitamins. Yesterday I got 954, 72oz water and 75g of protein.

Mentally I know it takes time but hormonally that thought doesn't happen. I have talked to my doctor about it and he and the nutritionist say its because I lost 30 pounds during the pre-op. My hormones say since I lost 30 pounds in 2 weeks BEFORE surgery that I should be losing more AFTER surgery. I know about glycogen stores and what not but its just so frustrating to be doing everything that you are supposed to and seeing no results. That's why I had surgery in the first place. Right now it seems like I wasn't sleeved at all.

I have a 10 month old that I am constantly chasing since he is at the I see it, it must be food stage. That involves running, lots of bending, lots of picking up. Right now he is my strength training lol. I work upstairs and we have no elevator. I am a member of a gym but haven't been cleared just yet to go but my son and I go for walks. I have lost 11.5 inches since surgery.

Could you possibly have edema? I have had it and lost 20 lb in one day after they gave me medicine (Lasix) in the hospital. Take your finger and push in on your ankles and if you have extra fluid then your finger will leave an impression in your flesh. If you have edema then as you loose weight the fluid can take the place of the fat you are loosing and your weight wont go down. Just an idea.. hopefully you will find the problem why you aren't loosing before you get too discouraged.

Do not give up! Follow your doctors directions, its not a race between you and other people its a life long change and it wont happen overnight. Vent all you need but do not give up!!

So sorry you are having a hard time. Have you tried emailing your nutritionist a list of what you are eating. I found the hard way that nuts pack a punch with calories and were keeping me from losing early on. Sometimes it is something so simple that causes havoc. I hope you can find your positive can do attitude soon. Also, try the calorie count app it will tell you exactly how much protein and carbs you consume in a day. One last thought check that your body isn't retaining water as just after surgery a woman's body will change schedule. It took me around 5 weeks to start seeing progress but when I did the numbers dropped. I know this is hard but you can do this just hang in there.

I use myfitnesspal.com. I am now at the puree stage and I just can't stand the though of pureeing any meats so I eat a lot of low fat refried beans that I add low fat cheddar cheese and low fat cream cheese to for extra protein. I am drinking 1-2 protein shakes/drinks a day. I add unflavored protein powder to my shake to get extra protein.

No I lost all of my retained water during pre-op. My ankles are skinny again! I can see my ankle bones including the screw that hold my metal plate.

Refried beans are high in Carbs + the fat, even being low fat is not conducive to weight lose... Once the carbs convert to sugar you have to deal with the sugar and fat issues..

You may be negating your protein with the high carbs from the beans... My nut stated that your protein should exceed your carb intake considerably, like 20 grams of protein to less than 3 to 5 grams of carbs per serving.

As an example look at you protein shakes what is the protein vs carbs...

Your protein should be around 20 to 40 grams to a maximum of 5 grams of carbs per serving with your fat grams being equal to or lower than your fat grams...

I do know that Santa Fe bean company makes a great no-fat refried beans in pinto, black bean and another bean variety.

Keep your carbs to no more than 2 ounces a day.

Keep your meat protein @ 4 to 6 ounces a day

Fruit and veggies 3 ounces a day

Don't forget your 3 low fat / no fat dairy. Make one of those a low fat Dannon Greek yogurt for the extra protein

Please don't give up. it will happen. it sounds like you are doing everything right. I wonder why your doc wants you at 1000 cal/day? Most post-sleeves get in about 700-800 cal/day

I don't know if that is supposed to be a goal to hit or if that's what they want me at every day. I hit 950 yesterday but that is just because I ate refried beans for lunch and dinner with provolone cheese (didn't realize how high in calories it was). I tend to get less in when I am at work.

While I was in the hospital I had such and adversion to everything I guess because of the meds. Everything was WAY too sweet or WAY too salty so I had water.

I don't know if that is supposed to be a goal to hit or if that's what they want me at every day. I hit 950 yesterday but that is just because I ate refried beans for lunch and dinner with provolone cheese (didn't realize how high in calories it was). I tend to get less in when I am at work.

While I was in the hospital I had such and adversion to everything I guess because of the meds. Everything was WAY too sweet or WAY too salty so I had water.

Like you, while I was in the hospital I found the protein shakes, Jell-O, Crystal Lite and such to be far to sweet for my liking.

This finally leveled out about 4 weeks post op. Now my taste is back in line. I am not hungry. I am not craving anything at all.

If your having problems eating pureed food, buy some lunch meat such as Boars Head at the deli and have then shave it, measure out 1.5 ounces and add a thin slice of real cheese. Chew and Chew some more till you feel like

you have mush in your mouth. I love the smoked cheese's for the added flavor. Eat your meat and cheese first, then have your 1 ounce of fruit or veggies...

Do not drink for an hour after your meal.

I am still having to have a protein shake at night to get my protein in.

I started having issues with Milk, including Lactaid and now my yogurt as of today. I cannot drink milk or eat my yogurt without getting sick.

I did find some fat free beans made by Santa Fe bean company that have a better carb load if you can keep your serving down to 1 ounce.

I am at the point where I can have a 1 ounce serving of a complete carb such as red beans, black beans, quinoa and such. No potatoes or rice until the End of May according to my nut.

Jost take a deep breath, relax and start measuring what you eat and writing down what your eating.... OXO makes an awesome stacking set of measuring vessels that are great. I use them at every meal.

http://www.oxo.com/p-1206-4-piece-mini-measuring-beaker-set.aspx

So I hope we are beyond "giving up".

Everyday is a new day. Every day we learn something new about ourselves.

Protein is essential to success and keeping our muscle and losing our fat.

Minimize carbs for now. As time goes on and we reach a good weight about a year and a half from now, then we can have a bit more carbs.

But carbs has always been the enemy for many of us. Be careful. Always keep them restricted. Remember, long term we will probably maintain on a protein based diet with a maximum of 1200 calories a day. it isn't much. However, a year and a half from now we will have figured it all out well enough to recognize that food and eating is no longer the "center" of our lives. Food will have become a fuel.

This is not to say that you cannot enjoy your foods or "sample" something you really love. I watch my wife have a wonderful dessert when we are out. Yes, I have a bite; ONE BITE !!! If you cannot stop at one bite, then don't do it at all.

These are the life changing habits that will lead to long term success that all of us must figure out for ourselves.

I for one am enjoying the fact that I am 52 pounds lighter. But once again, let me tell you the real benefits I have seeing and feeling:

I am off of 2 of my 3 blood pressure meds already. I keep taking my diuretic, which helps blood pressure and keeps me from retaining too much fluids. Will I drop the diuretic time will tell.

I am off of my CPAP machine. I am going for a sleep study follow up soon. I found the CPAP very uncomfortable post op. The doc reduced my pressure but I don't believe I need it at all now. Perhaps, he may still say to use it, but at a lower pressure for now; we will see.

I can walk up a hill now without stopping and without becoming totally breathless. What a wonderful feeling.

I am back into clothes sizes I haven't seen since the 1980s and I know I am still shrinking.

I can finally sleep in my bed again without having to be propped up in a chair! What a wonderful feeling. I don't snore anymore either! (no cpap machine above).

I can see my toes again when I look down. :).

Soon my waistline will begin with a 3 instead of a 4. Right now, I am approaching a 44 waist. It won't be long before I am a 42 then 40 then 38. This means there are more clothes selections out there waiting for me to enjoy not to mention my shirt size is shrinking from 3x, to 2x, to XL already.

I can dance, dance and dance again without getting worn out. I love dancing. My wife loves dancing. Now, that she has had her total knee replacement, she is dancing again too.

So many reasons not to "give up".

I hope you are past it.

DON'T GIVE UP! ENJOY LIFE! ENJOY EXPERIENCES YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IN A LONG LONG LONG TIME!

Just wait for one of those male chauvanists to whistle at you soon. :-O

Ralph :)

Ralph you are truly my inspiration.....

Like you, I am seeing body parts I have not seen in a while and those I were seeing are disappearing.. Love it.

I love my belly button now, LOL...

My husband and I both love to dance, which I am looking forward to Mardi Gras and all of the dances we will be attending... YAY!!!!

Like you with the clothing. I am wearing jeans that are 4 to 6 sizes smaller, :).....

My pulmonologist switch my CPAP to an APAP while I was in the hospital due to my inability to use it and the discomfort from the pressure. My new machine was able to fluctuate between 5 mmHg to 12 mmHg.
My pressures were staying at or below 5mmHg. Like you I will be having a follow up sleep study after the new year. My machine drives me bonkers now. I spend more time taking it off at night than sleeping

As for Hills and stairs.... (rolling Rockys Theme) I am able to beat them both now... :)

I am not able to do the one bite only... I watch my hubby have an appetizer, chips or something like that and I know if I have one bite I will end up going for 2 then 3.. So I do not even chance it.

I can actually do things without the possibility of an asthma attack or aspirations....

CK DO NOT GIVE UP!!!

Ralph you are truly my inspiration.....

Like you, I am seeing body parts I have not seen in a while and those I were seeing are disappearing.. Love it.

I love my belly button now, LOL...

My husband and I both love to dance, which I am looking forward to Mardi Gras and all of the dances we will be attending... YAY!!!!

Like you with the clothing. I am wearing jeans that are 4 to 6 sizes smaller, :).....

My pulmonologist switch my CPAP to an APAP while I was in the hospital due to my inability to use it and the discomfort from the pressure. My new machine was able to fluctuate between 5 mmHg to 12 mmHg.
My pressures were staying at or below 5mmHg. Like you I will be having a follow up sleep study after the new year. My machine drives me bonkers now. I spend more time taking it off at night than sleeping

As for Hills and stairs.... (rolling Rockys Theme) I am able to beat them both now... :)

I am not able to do the one bite only... I watch my hubby have an appetizer, chips or something like that and I know if I have one bite I will end up going for 2 then 3.. So I do not even chance it.

I can actually do things without the possibility of an asthma attack or aspirations....

CK DO NOT GIVE UP!!!

:)

Don't give up.

It sounds like a great mantra for all of us.

Ralph

I have been thinking about your protein problem here are some ideas that sorta worked for me during the puree food stage
Deviled eggs yummy and already mashed
potted meat low sodium (watch the fat content)
chicken soup that is sent through the food processor and drank from a cup
crab meat
Think about foods you would normally blend up then add a little extra protein
I found several ideals at this website http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2007/08/pureed-foods.html

Also make a little photo from and mark it the "remember why your started" then fill it with the reasons your started this journey. I have the following pictures, me at my heaviest, my grandson and family, a place I love to hike and a picture of a place I want to visit but there is no way I was going to try to squeeze into an airplane seat. Next remember that your attitude will help you win so make a point to say something positive about yourself and your life changes every time a negative thought makes its way into you brain.
Talk with your nutritionist often, they actually prefer you to call them as it shows you are truly putting in the effort

Good luck

Personally I would not recommend the Potted meats due to the sugars (Dextrose and Sugar), the nitrates and the fat calories, the majority of the ingredients "fatty" tissues

Armour Star: Mechanically separated chicken, beef tripe, water, salt, and less than 2%: mustard, natural flavor, garlic powder, vinegar, dextrose, sodium erythorbate, and sodium nitrite. 180 calories, 12 grams of fat= 100 calories from fat

Hormel: Beef tripe, mechanically separated chicken, beef hearts, partially defatted cooked beef fatty tissue, meat broth, vinegar, salt, flavoring, sugar, and sodium nitrite. 100 calories, 7 grams fat + 60 calories from fat

Libby's: Mechanically separated chicken, pork skin, partially defatted cooked pork fatty tissue, partially defatted cooked beef fatty tissue, vinegar, less than 2% of: salt, spices, sugar, flavorings, sodium erythorbate and sodium nitrite. 120 calories, 9 grams of fat = 80 calories from fat

NIH aka National Institute of Health Guidelines & Suggestions...

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/patientinstructions/000173.htm

Personally I would not recommend the Potted meats due to the sugars (Dextrose and Sugar), the nitrates and the fat calories, the majority of the ingredients "fatty" tissues

Armour Star: Mechanically separated chicken, beef tripe, water, salt, and less than 2%: mustard, natural flavor, garlic powder, vinegar, dextrose, sodium erythorbate, and sodium nitrite. 180 calories, 12 grams of fat= 100 calories from fat

Hormel: Beef tripe, mechanically separated chicken, beef hearts, partially defatted cooked beef fatty tissue, meat broth, vinegar, salt, flavoring, sugar, and sodium nitrite. 100 calories, 7 grams fat + 60 calories from fat

Libby's: Mechanically separated chicken, pork skin, partially defatted cooked pork fatty tissue, partially defatted cooked beef fatty tissue, vinegar, less than 2% of: salt, spices, sugar, flavorings, sodium erythorbate and sodium nitrite. 120 calories, 9 grams of fat = 80 calories from fat

NIH aka National Institute of Health Guidelines & Suggestions...

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/patientinstructions/000173.htm

I was talking homemade as almost all canned foods are full of fat and sodium.

Back