• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

I got the bill for my surgery - are you sitting down ?

KathyLev

I have medicare and United Health care , so they took care of most of it . I just thought you'd all like to say "holy shit" along with me. LOL
Total Surgery $57,260 . o_O Anesthesia $8,736. Surgical supplies used in the operating room $ 14,795 . ( Just a row of staples cost $966 ! ) Operating room robot $38,310 . Pharmacy $5,396 . Room & Board at hospital for 2 days $6,760 . Any finally Physical therapy -- one nurse walked me down the hall and had me walk up and down 2 STEPS = $490 . Unbelievable . I just can't stop shaking my head. Now I see why going to Mexico is the only option for some people.

I have medicare and United Health care , so they took care of most of it . I just thought you'd all like to say "holy shit" along with me. LOL
Total Surgery $57,260 . o_O Anesthesia $8,736. Surgical supplies used in the operating room $ 14,795 . ( Just a row of staples cost $966 ! ) Operating room robot $38,310 . Pharmacy $5,396 . Room & Board at hospital for 2 days $6,760 . Any finally Physical therapy -- one nurse walked me down the hall and had me walk up and down 2 STEPS = $490 . Unbelievable . I just can't stop shaking my head. Now I see why going to Mexico is the only option for some people.
Wow! I wasn’t given a breakdown yet other than requesting $700. prior to surgery . This is very helpful . Thank you.

I’ve been prepping for surgery through Kaiser for about 8 months. It’s been a positive experience so far. The one thing I’ve been putting off is calling the benefits department and finding out my out of pocket for the actual surgery. Called today and they told me there is. $20 co-pay. You read that right. $20! It’s funny that some people pay so much, and my (admittedly stellar) coverage decided to cost it out the same as an office visit!!

I'm on Kaiser Medicare Advantage. Kaiser has their own bariatric service and I was in that program for a year, learning, practicing, all the while being examined and tested. My part of the entire bill was $350. I saw on the itemized list that the surgery was over $82,000. I would have gone to Mexico had it not been for Kaiser. Excellent program. I can't say enough good about them.

Back