• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

I have a pre-surgery question?

booboo709

I have pre-op appointment on the 16th of July. What am I going to have to do now, more blood work and what eles? I am getting nervous, I don't know what to I am supposed to have ready for post-op for when I am home. Why am I hearing not to drink out of a straw? How many protein shakes do I need to have ready. Any special water because I went to Wegmans and they had necter water it looked good but not sure if I need it. Well any help is very welcoming........

I have pre-op appointment on the 16th of July. What am I going to have to do now, more blood work and what eles? I am getting nervous, I don't know what to I am supposed to have ready for post-op for when I am home. Why am I hearing not to drink out of a straw? How many protein shakes do I need to have ready. Any special water because I went to Wegmans and they had necter water it looked good but not sure if I need it. Well any help is very welcoming........

Necter water would be great if it's sugar free. You wouldn't want to be drinking sugar. Sugar free jello, sugar free popsicles, sugar free pudding all were recommended to me by my nutritionist after my surgery.

Every insurance company has different criteria. Mine demanded I go to my primary care physician every month for 6 months and be on a diet and exercise regime. Every surgeon has different recommendations. Some want patients on a liquid diet for a month before surgery. Others for a week or a few days. Some not at all. When you go to your pre-op appointment, you should find out what your surgeon expects from you and the diet he wants you on. You can google anything and everything about your surgery and I can tell you all about what my doctor expected from me, but it still won't tell you what your own surgeon will want you to do. My surgeon had a phone number I could call to talk to the nutritionist in his office for all questions and problems about my diet. I was encouraged NOT to drink many protein shakes and no protein shakes at all after 3 months because my surgeon preferred his patients eat good food instead and he said some people drink the shakes and eat the food.. double calories not good for losing pounds. On the 3rd week I was encouraged to eat tuna, salmon and flakey white fish. Protein, protein, protein. Great for losing weight, great for building health.

I can't remember why Bariatric patients aren't supposed to drink out of a straw but it's true. There is a really good reason but I just can't remember. Lol..

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. :cool:

Cheyenne

I forgot to mention that many people who have successful weight loss, drink protein shakes for years after surgery. I have a surgeon who prefers his patients not to do so but many doctors have different opinions on this. Hopefully you picked a Bariatric Surgeon of Excellence who will give you his own expert advice.

Cheyenne

Thank you Cheyenne. This does make it a little less confusing. And yes the nectar water is sugar free it is just like the consistency of nectar but without the sugar. I have a support group that I can go to every 2nd wensday from 4-6pm my boyfriend would like to go with me he is the best. He wants to be there for me the whole way, he is finding recipes for me to try when I am at the right stages. I will keep you updated on my journey to the new me ;)

Thank you Cheyenne. This does make it a little less confusing. And yes the nectar water is sugar free it is just like the consistency of nectar but without the sugar. I have a support group that I can go to every 2nd wensday from 4-6pm my boyfriend would like to go with me he is the best. He wants to be there for me the whole way, he is finding recipes for me to try when I am at the right stages. I will keep you updated on my journey to the new me ;)

That's really wonderful that you have such a great boyfriend who is there to support you. Your success will depend on how well you stay focused and having a partner who is helping and encouraging you, can make all the difference.

If you like sweets, products like your sugar free necter, Crystal Light, sugar free jello etc will be very helpful for you.

Good luck in your journey to a healthier you!

Cheyenne

You don't drink out of a straw since it will introduce too much air into your little stomach and that can be painful.

I am still burping 1 1/2 years after surgery if I eat too fast. I still burp when I eat salads, but at least now I can eat salads, FINALLY!

I use protein shakes when I see my weight creeping up and I need to get it back to ideal range. I do the 3 to 5 day thing and go back to basics limiting my intake to 1200 calories again and using protein shakes to help me make sure I get the protein I need.

To this day I still cannot eat any kind of pork product such as bacon; forget about it. I will make me dump. A good lean pork chop is OK but not more than 3 ounces.

Have to be careful with any sweets they will make me dump.

I am contrary to a lot of people who say they are told they can never have this or that again. I refuse to deny myself something I like such as ice cream or cookies. But I am at my goal weight now and I have learned how to maintain my weight. I am coming up on my first anniversary of my goal weight this month. Right now, I am up a little and I cut back. I simply don't eat a lot and when I do this I still use protein shakes to make sure I get my protein requirement fulfilled.

Ralph

Back