• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

I love to cook!

applewart

I have always been a pretty good cook. Learned it from my grandma. Its kind of messing with my head that I cant cook that kind of food anymore for my family. I know that southern cooking is what has gotten me in this position. Feel a little guilty.

Applewart-You can still cook for your family, just modify the recipes to get rid of the fat and carbs. Visit the recipe forum here to see if there is something that you think you will enjoy cooking for you and your family. Years ago I worked with a woman who used to live in the south. She would always say "why eat fried chicken when you can have it roasted instead" *LOL* I think she was on to something. Anyway, after your surgery and as you progress through your different meal plan phases you will find PLENTY of things to cook that everyone, including you, will enjoy. I promise. Happy cooking :) :) :)

I'm with both of you on cooking. But I haven't been able to scratch that itch since before the surgery. But I plan to return to the kitchen sometime and concentrate on flavor over volume. I married an Okie so I've had my fair share of home made biscuits and red eye gravy, but no more.

I love to cook too and I have experimented with a lot of my recipes - some successful and some not so much. I also look online a lot for recipes - foodnetwork and cooking websites have some healthy recipes. Some of the recipes I have there is no way to make them healthy so I just try to find some other recipes that might be similar to those.

Another thing to consider is that once you complete all of the meal plan phases your tastes in food will probably change and more than likely continue to change for quite a while. I completely lost my intense craving for bread and pasta. I still eat an occasional pasta meal and I eat 1 or 2 pieces of multi grain 35 calorie per slice bread almost every day but I no longer crave these things like in the past. Because of not craving bread there are other things I hardly ever eat anymore like pizza, regular cakes, cookies, etc. I make muffins from low carb higher protein flour and baking mix instead of buying carb and fat laden goodies. It's all because of the healthier eating habits I developed while going through the meal plan phases.

With all of this being said you may not even want to eat the things you did before and will find yourself making other delicious and healthy meals that you and your family will enjoy eating together.

Just because your neighbors are deep fat frying Twinkies, doesn't mean you have to eat them. Actually, sounds pretty awful to me. :eek:

Back