• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

I need advice ... im so crushed!! bmi an issue for skin removal?

bridget

I am over a year out from surgery and went today to my 1st consult for skin removal as I am down 140lbs and its a real issue... however the plastic surgeon told me that she will not consider me until i have lost an additional 20lbs and keep it off for 3 months ... After that we can proceed with the tummy tuck..... after what she is expecting to remove pound wise and the 20 she wants me to lose I will be under the lowest weight I wanted to be .... did anyone else have this issue ... im devastated that all the work I have been doing STILL isnt enough.....

I haven't considered skin removal yet. I do know that when my cousin lost a lot of weight the insurance would not cover it until she was within the "ideal" weight range for a woman her age/height and stayed there for 3 months as well. If the insurance isn't an issue, I would absolutely find another surgeon. You have done an amazing job, don't ever think otherwise!

I haven't considered skin removal yet. I do know that when my cousin lost a lot of weight the insurance would not cover it until she was within the "ideal" weight range for a woman her age/height and stayed there for 3 months as well. If the insurance isn't an issue, I would absolutely find another surgeon. You have done an amazing job, don't ever think otherwise!
Thank you so much and I am planning to find a different dr insurance isnt the issue

I’d find another plastic surgeon. The ones I’ve spoken with have simply said I had to be weight stable within 5 pounds for 6 months (preferably) but they’d do it at 3 months.
that's what my dr ( the one who did the sleeve) told me and I have been steady for almost 4 months now and am very happy with where I am... so I was not expecting all that i am currently looking into a different dr !!

... the plastic surgeon told me that she will not consider me until i have lost an additional 20lbs and keep it off for 3 months ... After that we can proceed with the tummy tuck..... after what she is expecting to remove pound wise and the 20 she wants me to lose I will be under the lowest weight I wanted to be .... did anyone else have this issue ... im devastated that all the work I have been doing STILL isnt enough.....

Dont worry about the amount of weight that will come off during skin removal. You wont lose as much as you expect to.

When i started looking for skin removal, the cosmetic surgeon said she couldnt believe id actually lost 115 pounds. She brought in 2 other doctors to give their opinions and they agreed. So, no go.

I was really depressed, but weirdly, my skin sort of SHRANK back and along with dozens of visits to the YMCA every month and long hiling/camping trips into the North Cascades, i finally accepted what flab i still had and what muscle tone i developed.

Be proactive and dont let your self-image go negative. Work out, buy new clothes, change your hair, socialize. No one even knows i used to be morbidly obese.

I am over a year out from surgery and went today to my 1st consult for skin removal as I am down 140lbs and its a real issue... however the plastic surgeon told me that she will not consider me until i have lost an additional 20lbs and keep it off for 3 months ... After that we can proceed with the tummy tuck..... after what she is expecting to remove pound wise and the 20 she wants me to lose I will be under the lowest weight I wanted to be .... did anyone else have this issue ... im devastated that all the work I have been doing STILL isnt enough.....
I totally get it. But in my opinion... don’t fret. You managed to lose the 140... the 20 will be light work... you got this!!! I can’t wait to get where you are. I’m 3 1/2 months post op... down 81lbs... my goal/target weight loss is 165 lbs. so I’m about halfway there. I’m definitely going to need skin removal surgery. Unfortunately, it’s going to be so costly

I have a hint for you. If you have folds of skin and an apron of flab, you can have it surgically removed WITH insurance. Horrible yeast Infections under the apron is a health risk. See your family doc and be descriptive. I vacillated for a long time and use a prescription anti-fungal to keep it down, but the smell of growing yeast is enough to make me barf. The cosmetic docs advised against it because my apron was too fatty.

Back