• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

I need help

MANDY2910

I am trying everything I can think of to increase calories. I average about 500-550 and 65-80 grams of protein a day. I drink at least a gallon of water easily each day. I eat three times a day and two snacks. I exercise 20-30 minutes a day, usually cardio. I am 2 months post op. I am losing roughly 2 pounds a week which is ridiculously slow as far as I’m concerned so I must be doing something wrong. I no longer have a dietician at my surgeons office because she quit and they are having a hard time finding a replacement. I have 4 pages of handouts from her and that is all. One for each stage of getting back to regular food post op and that is all. Help!

What calorie average are trying to reach? I'm only 4 weeks post-op and I'm having a hard time tryng to stay under 800 calories. Just had a salmon patty (4 oz) for dinner and that was 290 calories by itself.

What calorie average are trying to reach? I'm only 4 weeks post-op and I'm having a hard time tryng to stay under 800 calories. Just had a salmon patty (4 oz) for dinner and that was 290 calories by itself.
I am supposed to be 600-800 and I can’t eat more than 2 ounces of protein at a time at the moment, at least of solid protein. I can eat 3 ounces of soft proteins like cottage cheese. I have been steadily adding more volume and getting protein in so I’m at a loss of what else to do. Maybe at 2 mo this out I’m doing all my body is capable of right now…

I am supposed to be 600-800 and I can’t eat more than 2 ounces of protein at a time at the moment, at least of solid protein. I can eat 3 ounces of soft proteins like cottage cheese. I have been steadily adding more volume and getting protein in so I’m at a loss of what else to do. Maybe at 2 mo this out I’m doing all my body is capable of right now…
Maybe it is your body just adjusting like you said, however, losing 2 pounds a week is still losing weight. I think I'm losing only about 3.5 pounds a week. Have you discussed your concerns with your surgeon? You said you have been steadily adding more volume and getting protein so in my non-medical opinion, I would say that everything is OK and on track. Give it time.

A steady 2 lbs a week is good.

On another note, sometimes not enough calories is just as bad as too many calories. Sometimes worse because your body goes into starvation mode. try eating higher calorie foods to get your calories up since you can't eat much.

Will your insurance cover a Dietician or Nutritionist that isn't in your surgeons office? You may be able to find one familiar with WLS as well. If not, still seeing one could help and could provide some pointers.

I am losing roughly 2 pounds a week which is ridiculously slow as far as I’m concerned so I must be doing something wrong. I no longer have a dietician at my surgeons office because she quit and they are having a hard time finding a replacement.
Wow, we have so much in common. I am almost at month 8 after surgery, but I was in your shoes at your stage. My dietician quit, I was frustrated with the lack of guidance from my team, my calorie intake was low and I was “only” losing two pounds each week. Now I realize that two pounds a week is a blessing and perfectly normal. I’ve lost 85 pounds so far and have minimal saggy skin. I slowly added a protein bar as my morning meal. At first, I could only eat half of it. I also added a fruit and nut mix as an evening snack. Cottage cheese with pineapple tidbits is my go to afternoon snack. I recently added 4 prunes every other day to help with constipation. You are doing great! Don’t stress and focus on the positive changes you have made.

Last edited:
A steady 2 lbs a week is good.

On another note, sometimes not enough calories is just as bad as too many calories. Sometimes worse because your body goes into starvation mode. try eating higher calorie foods to get your calories up since you can't eat much.

Will your insurance cover a Dietician or Nutritionist that isn't in your surgeons office? You may be able to find one familiar with WLS as well. If not, still seeing one could help and could provide some pointers.
Insurance won’t pay for a separate dietician because my program is supposed to have one I guess. I hope they get someone soon.

You're doing fine. You're very close to your 600 calories goal, so I would not sweat it. Idk how heavy you were or how much you had/have to lose but that does make a difference. Often the people that lose 5-10lbs a week have a long journey ahead.

You can try mixing up your diet tho. Maybe eat higher calorie foods one day a week. I know I tended to eat the same things day in and day out. So any mix up usually brought a change in weight.

Back