• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

I Still Feel Fat

I’m about 9 months after gastric bypass surgery. I lost over 80 pounds, reached my goal weight. I’m into a size 5, 121 pounds (5’3”) but I still see fat when I look in the mirror. Especially my thighs. I feel like I want to lose 10 more. But logically, I don’t really need to. (Do I?) Should I see a shrink? Maybe I have body dismohia? Or maybe I’m still fat.....I’m not sure. I weigh myself every day and if I gain one pound I flip out and if I lose one I feel great..Does anyone else do that? Is it normal!

..I have hit a plateau (again) and I’m playing with the same 1 1/2 pounds. It’s only 9 months. I could lose a little more, right?

i guess I am just looking for a little encouragement or advice or something....I don’t know.

If you are wearing a size 5, in my opinion you probably look great. I think it is more the issue of lose skin. And body dysmorphia can plague us for sure. I kind of relate what you are saying as to how I felt when I was a size 12. If only I were a size 12 now! I'd really appreciate it. Who knows, maybe I'll get there but I have a ways to go yet. Sometimes we just don't appreciate what we have or where we are at because we compare ourselves to others or what society thinks. You've made wonderful progress, don't be hard on yourself.

You aren't fat and you don't need to lose anymore weight. If you are still having those mental battles about yourself, then seeking some professional help could be a good thing. Many of us have a lot of guilt, bad habits, emotions, and a ton of other issues from our time being obese. Our relationship with our body and self value can be hit pretty hard. It's not going to go away just because we reach our goal weight.

Two things should take priority in this journey: 1. Getting our minds right and really loving ourselves (regardless of the amount of weight we lose), and 2. Dedicating ourselves to a new relationship with food. Those two things will either sustain your success or potentially lead you to regain and more emotional strife. This battle is won or lost in the kitchen and in our minds.

Thank you for your thoughtful replies.

I am going to give your advice much consideration and reflection.
Two things really hit home. Appreciating what I have.....instead of complaining that I’m not perfect.

Also, about getting some professional help. That is an excellent idea for a few reasons. If I don’t figure out why I let myself become overweight in the first place there’s more of a chance in doing it again.

Hey, Gina. We must have had our surgeries around the same time. I am 10 months post op and seem to be going back and forth with the same 2lbs as well. I believe you're probably within a "normal" weight range now. I think we get into this rhythm of losing and it can be scary when we stop. I'm not sure why, but I feel like I have to go down or UP, right? Which isn't true. Eventually, I am going to have to learn to maintain. Which is why, even though I am still considered slightly overweight, I'm trying to just roll with it. I feel great right now and am very comfortable with the types and amounts of foods I am eating. I want to get to a point where I can stay aware of my weight, without obsessing about it. So I don't have any advice to give you, since I am still figuring it out for myself but I definitely get where you're coming from.

I know I’m still going to lose more weight since I’m only 6 months out, but sometimes I feel kind of like this. I’ve had a few people call me skinny and they definitely got my WTF face LOL It’s something I’ll never be used to hearing. I also don’t think I’m skinny either, but I guess in comparison to what I used to look like I am. It’s weird looking in the mirror, even just a small mirror. Looking a size appropriate clothing is weird too. I’ll think, “there’s no way I can fit into that!”, and it’s too big or fits perfect. I try not to think of myself as fat or skinny, but on a journey. I think about how I feel health wise, but there are times I look down at my hand and I still see that puffiness and think,”Did I actually lose any weight at all?” But it’s not real. I see the loose skin and have to remind myself that it’s not all fat anymore, and the lumps under my shirt are just that, lots of skin. Definitely takes the brain a long time to adjust, and sometimes we have to force it to see the changes.

Back