• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

I weigh over 600 lbs what advice you give me statred my weight loss jounery

Small goals are important. Here are some of the ones I implemented before surgery to prepare. Quit soda, all of it. Switch to water. Phase out fast food, introduce fresh meals where protein is the biggest component. Use a small plate instead of a big one to keep portions under control. Hope this helps!

I agree with 3mom. Small goals. The idea of losing hundreds of pounds is daunting and can seem impossible. And cutting down to reasonable portion sizes can seem just as impossible. Keep in mind this is a life long change, so it doesn't matter if it doesn't happen overnight as long as you are taking positive steps toward improvement.

Pick one weekly goal and stick to it. "I will drink 64oz of water every day this week". That's it. Not "64oz water, 6 servings veggies, 2 fruits, & only eat 1 cup servings." That is too much. 1 per week.

Build your goals backwards. End Goal. How do I get there? Yearly Goal. Monthly Goal. Weekly Goal. Some goals may have to do with weight loss, some with food choices, and some with activity. Mix them up as you make those weekly changes so it's not all things that make you feel deprived. Because no pop, no junk food, no fast food, no sweets, no booze, no no no is unsustainable. Which leads to my final bit of advice: Make your goals POSITIVE. It should be something you CAN do not something you CANNOT do.

Consult a doctor and/or dietician before making too many radical changes to your diet/exercise.

It starts and ends with food, both before surgery and after.

Consider focusing on food choices and not so much trying to count calories and such. Eating higher quantities of healthy foods will help keep you satiated while limiting glucose/insulin production.

Consider the following:
  • Avoid foods with added sugar
  • Avoid ultra-processed foods (things with 8-10 ingredients or more)
  • Avoid foods made from refined grains
  • Avoid artificial sweeteners
It might be hard to do all of those things at once, so just small steps.

Consider the following:
  • Drink a lot of water, constantly, throughout the day
  • Add more whole-food, plant-based meals.
    • This doesn't mean you have to be a vegetarian/vegan, but filling up with plants will give you a full feeling with low calories comparatively.
  • Eat different plants each day
  • Choose good protein sources (animal or plant-based)
Add little bits of activity, even if you are reclined or stationary. Extra arm movements, leg movements, short walks, if possible. Go slow and easy so you don't injure yourself or over-exert yourself.

No matter how you approach this, it won't be easy. You may get different ideas/instructions from a doctor/surgeon/dietician, so you should follow their instructions if provided. Getting to the surgery can be a long and difficult road, but it is worth it. The more effort and commitment you can give pre-surgery the better you will set yourself up for success after surgery.

Lastly, as mentioned above, reach out for professional help to ensure you are doing things in the safest manner for your physical and mental health. You can get a lot of opinions on the internet, but there is no way for anyone on social media or in a forum like this to know all the details about your, your health, and your lifestyle to give advice that would be 100% right for you. My tips above are suggestions based on what I have done, which was based on a lot of research I've done and on the feedback I've gotten from people I've talked to who have been successful for 10+ years after surgery, but each person's experience is going to be slightly different. I didn't start at the weight you did, so I can't provide experience from that perspective, but in general, making small changes like others have suggested is probably a good place to start.

If you can get used to drinking at least 64 ozs of water daily and stop buying & drinking anything with sugar or artificial sweeteners, you will have begun preparing your body for WLS and beyond.

Start by substituting 1 16 oz water bottle for 1 soda, juice etc. and gradually increase your water intake & decrease your other drinks. In a few weeks you could be drinking 2 liters of water instead of a 2 liter bottle of pop. If you are used to drinking more daily, again gradually substitute water for other beverages. Adding some lemon or lime juice may make it taste better (I keep a bottle of each in the fridge). You may find that you will begin to eat a little bit less - I think sugar can trigger cravings for other snack foods.

One other suggestion is to try discarding the top bun or piece of bread from burgers, sandwiches, etc., and begin eating ALL of these on a plate using a knife and fork. Try setting down your fork between bites, and chew each bite at least 10 to 15 times. Practice this until it becomes a new good habit. Slowing down your eating time allows your brain to enjoy your food more and start to tell your stomach it's getting full. And getting rid of some (not all) of the bread at each meal reduces your carbs somewhat. Carbs turn to sugar to fuel your body, but any excess carbs that you don't burn are stored as fat for fuel to be used later.

Adding any movement (with the advice and approval of your dr.) also will burn calories and release endorphins to help you feel good.

Of course these are only suggestions & not to be substituted for medical advice. Best of luck to you. We are in your corner & rooting for you.

My best suggestion is to have your mind/emotions in the right place. With out determination, perseverance, and positive attitude in place, you will be able to succeed. My biggest problem to overcome was eating instead of drinking water. And what I was eating was not healthy. Being here you will find the support to go along with your journey. May you be blessed.

Sending love, but the fact that you weigh 600 lbs indicates you MUST be under a doctor's care immediately and for the indefinite future. Being super-obese means huge risk factors and possibly, multiple surgeries.

There's a deeply rooted problem hiding in your brain, and dieting won't solve it.

Your situation is 911, not diet+support group. We're a bariatric surgery support group and we can't offer the help you need. But feel free to hang out and chat and share love, while taking serious medical steps under a doctor's care.

The heaviest person I ever met here had weighed over 700 pounds, but was in the 500s when she joined. She became an early pillar of this group and with surgery, lost a couple hundred more. Then she stopped being active here, which is fine.

Many of the others suffered less drastic circumstances and are here for you. Welcome!

Back