• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Ice Cream

Fosgate

I made some ice cream today that did not set me off and I actually enjoyed it with a zero sugar A&W Root Beer. I found that all these store bought no sugar, low sugar, carb smart ice creams contain either a sugar alcohols like Sirbitol, Ethytol, or some other “OL”, or stevia or Munk fruit. All of which I found out can upset the guy and it does for me. Sucralose and Aspertame do not bother me in the slightest. But I could not find ice cream that utilized that as a sweetener. So I set out and found and tried the following recipe today.

2 cups milk (I used Whole and it turned out creamy, could also use unsweetened almond milk etc also)

2 cups heavy whipping cream (Silk, Califia are a couple non dairy alternatives, can also use coconut cream just whip a little more to airate)

3/4 cup Splenda (this seemed pretty sweet but soda balanced it pretty well) I’m going to try 1/2 cup next time.

2tsp Vanilla extract (or whatever flavoring cherry, Ube, lemon)

Also note: you can scale the milk and cream pretty easy given manufactures no longer offer heavy cream in 32oz containers (28oz)

gently whisk it together with a wire whisk and pour into ice cream maker. I use a Cuisinart and I just set my timer for 30 min and came back with nice thick soft serve. Scooped most of it into a container to toss into the freezer. The harder stuff on the sides and bottom I scrapped into a glass with a couple scoops of the soft serve and enjoyed a float.

I do see the potential in this. I think with the 3/4 cup of Splenda one could toss in a scoop or two of unflavored protein powder or substitute most of the Splenda with like premier protein powder with sugar lose and chocolate in it.

could also add fruit (cherries, strawberries, nuts etc) maybe even take those thin low sugar Oreos, scrape the filing off them, crumble and toss in, sugar free syrups often used for coffee that have sucrose could be used to make a butter toffee pecan, (I’ve even found on Amazon, banana, mango, lychee etc)

I know many don’t want to go back to those pre-op tastes and many of us miss some of those. I’m in the boat that I really had no desire for sweets pre surgery and was not a big desert person. But when I want a treat I want it and I will try other smaller sweets with little or no satisfaction, often with an upset gut afterwards. I believe there are times when satisfying a long earned craving smartly and moving back on to the healthy diet is less harm. Than the alternative. At least for me it is where I need calories, I’ve lost about all the weight I Can without looking like I escaped a concentration camp.

Last edited:
That is so awesome! See, the goal of WLS is not to be on an eternal diet. It's to find a new normal diet that works for you. I re-introduced "trigger" foods after I'd lost about 80 pounds and went on to lose a total of 115. The pouch protects you if you relate to it and listen. You only have to experience dumping once to know you NEVER want to do that again, and if you actually did eat badly, your pouch and new digestive system would let you know with a vengeance. No one would ever know I'd had bariatric surgery because even when I eat with others, I order off the menu, anything I want. The one thing I do differently is I ask for a to-go box at the same time as I place my order. Then when I get my food, I put half of it in the box and then enjoy my half-meal with everyone else. I eat more slowly than most people in the group too, so it all looks very normal.

Ice cream is a food that can lead to dumping for me, so I'm always really careful, but I DO eat it when I want it.

Good job, Fosgate.

I've also done an Ube Ice cream recipe without using a machine for use in making my wife Halo-Halo (bomb Filipino desert). It turned out really good and her Filipino friends were clamoring asking where she found it. I have tried two and both work really well. Once she told them I made it they were on me for the recipe. One could use the Cool-Whip Zero Sugar Which uses Aspartame instead of alcohol sugars. And instead of sweetened condensed milk from the store you can simply make your own sugar free. Sugar Free Condensed Milk- Just 3 ingredients! - The Big Man's World ®

You can use this as a base for any flavor.

This one utilizes the use of a Jam. You could substitute the jam with any other sugar free jam (I know Smuckers makes a few using sucrose) along with your extract of choice.

Last edited:
I read about Nice Cream .. Which is just a frozen banana processed into ice cream. They said it doesn't taste like bananas but that's BS lol

That being said the texture is perfect. I always leave them in to freeze for too long, so I add about a 1/4 cup of Greek yogurt. it really hits the spot for me when I'd like an ice cream. Until my local home made ice cream parlor reopens lol

I found adding doesn't flavor it enough. Except bananas If you keep them on the counter until the skins all brown but by then there is so much sugar in them that I kind of run the risk of dumping syndrome without some fiber to slow it down in the digestive track. I'll typically save them for baking banana bread or muffins.

Da Vinci and Torini and a few others make some really nice sugar free- splenda sweetened syrups that work really well.
Some of their flavors on my list.

Blueberry
Pineapple
Banana
Pepper Mint
Chocolate
Strawberry
Raspberry
Cherry
Butter Rum (add some pecans or walnuts to it)

I buy Jordan's skinny syrups for my coffee. I 100% agree that a splash of that would be great for flavoring banana ice cream. I happen to love bananas so the flavor isn't an issue for me.

For anyone considering, keep in mind a medium banana has about 100 calories so its not really a "low cal" option. Its more of a no dairy option. I find the ice cream makers take up way to much valuable freezer space! plus, again, I love bananas!

I buy Jordan's skinny syrups for my coffee. I 100% agree that a splash of that would be great for flavoring banana ice cream. I happen to love bananas so the flavor isn't an issue for me.

For anyone considering, keep in mind a medium banana has about 100 calories so its not really a "low cal" option. Its more of a no dairy option. I find the ice cream makers take up way to much valuable freezer space! plus, again, I love bananas!

You and my wife would get along famously on the banana. I keep 1-2 bunches on the counter and right now I have 3 so I can have one ripe enough to make banana bread before she eats them. She is a connoisseur when it comes to bananas. She doesn't like the I have to pick out the "Cute" bananas when I go grocery shopping. She doesn't like the Dole brand at Sam's Club, thinks they are two large, dirty on the outside and don't taste the same as the Chiqueta that is sold at Safeway. They have to be smaller in size, flip them over and free of bruises, brown cuts or other defects. One bunch fairly ripe and a second buy green as possible so they are ripe when she finishes the first bunch. Which does not take long. One of her friends as work teases her on occasion as she'll smile and say "Ana Banana......" Just the other day I got 3 cases of Banana Cream Premier Protein from Sams and she's already gone through about half the first case in just a few days.

Back