• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

If he doesn’t understand because he was not part of journey at first

I had the gastric bypass in 2008. I did really well after surgery. But then I got married and had kids. My husband did not know me in my heavy days. So when he sees me try and get back to basics he thinks I am starving myself. He tells me he worries about my blood sugar. I try to explain “dumping syndrome” and if I dont eat like the rest of the family I probably wouldn’t have the health issues I have. ( GERD, IBS,BLOOD SUGAR DROPPING). He is against meds, so even my vitamins cause issues. I need to be able to get him on my side.

I have been yo-yoing and I am committed to getting back on track, and following the diet completely. Just need my husband to be on board

Before my surgery I had my husband watch the bariatric pre op videos with me so he could understand how the inner works were going to change. I also discussed all my dietician appointments with him so he could be prepared for how I’d be living life after surgery. Maybe you could find some videos to watch together and then find one about the pouch reset since that sounds like the path you’re trying to go down. I’m sure he’s just concerned for you, but the more he knows about the entire process the more helpful/supportive he might be.

My husband calls my eating “snacking” which at the potion size, it is snacking. On the other hand my husband started as a once a day eater and only ate dinner for most of our marriage. He used to eat three to four plates at Chinese buffet. It never bothered him. He started having some health issues and he was throwing up his food a lot. He ended up losing a lot of weight and now weighs what he weighed in 5th grade. He jokes about my eating.

Thursday I bought a box of family size special k protein cereal. We have 10 oz bowl and 20 oz bowl. He got the 20 oz bowl filled it up added his milk. I went for 10 oz bowl and half the box was gone. So yesterday I had to buy a second box. I will learn.

I understand this. Its so hard! my s/o's mom had a lap band about 15 years ago, and she had some major complications from it. He was completely against me even pursing this. I told him "look, im going to make one appointment, we can just consider it, talk with the doctor, see the videos and information and decide from there." After he learned more about it, the advancements, nutrition, how good it is for health reasons, he was on board. Its a learning process for sure. I personally was very hesitant as i thought my eating habits were the issue (and it was part of it, ) however i needed to make a few tweaks, and i was good to go but still struggling with losing the weight. I think watching informative videos, and trying to learn about it and what good it does for a persons health is really powerful.

While not the same type of relationship, my godmother was an OR nurse for 40 years, and she assisted when the surgery was first starting to be preformed. She was really scared for me to have weight loss surgery because she’d seen the worst of the worse complications. But now at a year out and knowing that I’m keeping up on my vitamins and doing well, she’s relaxed a bit.

Back